Author Topic: Hotel & Condo Projects Proposed for Jax Beach  (Read 16593 times)

FlaBoy

Re: Hotel & Condo Projects Proposed for Jax Beach
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 07:35:28 PM »
I think the sunlight argument on the beach is a good one. relieving height limits west of 1st would be a great compromise and spur development.

However, due to the mangroves, there is no real view of the water until you get to the beach itself. That makes preserving the land less enticing and creating more development with water views for the public even more necessary. Reserving the river waterfront is very important and I completely agree that it makes the city more desirable.

beach breh

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2016, 03:16:53 PM »
I think the sunlight argument on the beach is a good one. relieving height limits west of 1st would be a great compromise and spur development.

However, due to the mangroves, there is no real view of the water until you get to the beach itself. That makes preserving the land less enticing and creating more development with water views for the public even more necessary. Reserving the river waterfront is very important and I completely agree that it makes the city more desirable.

mangroves??

... there aren't mangroves on the beach in Jacksonville. Preserving that land is of utmost importance if you understood how beach ecosystems work...

jaxjaguar

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2016, 04:03:32 PM »
I'm sure they meant the dunes/sea oats

FlaBoy

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 03:59:40 PM »
I'm sure they meant the dunes/sea oats

Yes. Sorry  ;D

RatTownRyan

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 12:42:21 PM »
http://theislandtimes.com/issue/march-2017/article/jacksonville-beach-gives-initial-approval-to-oceanfront-highrise-rezoning

The Jacksonville Beach City Council gave initial approval to a rezoning ordinance that could lead to the construction of a proposed high rise oceanfront hotel and condominium between Sixth and Seventh Avenues North

remc86007

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 02:38:18 PM »
I'm looking forward to this. More hotels are needed at the beach.

FlaBoy

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2017, 05:11:02 PM »
Much needed.

howfam

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2017, 10:39:32 PM »
The 35 ft height restriction is a joke, even at the beach. It denies the property owner the opportunity to maximize a property's money-making potential. Heights much taller should be allowed from the second block going west off the beach. Shadows cast by buildings at that distance would not be an issue. Height restriction excuses are just that, excuses for inhibiting development of our beaches. Shameful!!!

I-10east

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2017, 10:42:59 PM »
^^^I totally agree.

Gunnar

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 05:31:02 AM »
It really depends what kind of beach town you want. Not having high rise buildings cluttering the Coastline also has its charms...
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

BossmanOdum10

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2017, 08:47:22 AM »
Seriously......We are Jacksonville, Florida! Not some small town on the coast. Jacksonville Beach needs to develop some high rises. I understand that they want to keep the charm, but charm doesn't bring in the BIG money like hotels, clubs and other entertainment venues! Having a tower hotel on the beach will transform Jacksonville's mindset when it comes to how beaches in BIG cities are suppose to be.  Look how successful Miami, Isle of Palms, Fort Lauderdale, WPB and other communities in South FL are, they figured it out! I guarantee that if those same communities had HEIGHT RESTRICTIONS, they would not be as successful as they are today.
Wake Up Jacksonville Beach!

jaxjags

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2017, 09:37:27 AM »
South Florida is a winter season. Lot's of foreigners and northerners in the winter. JAX beach season is summer. Different crowd level. I agree more hotels is not bad, but it will never be Miami, WPB, etc.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2017, 10:34:21 AM »
South Florida is a winter season. Lot's of foreigners and northerners in the winter. JAX beach season is summer. Different crowd level. I agree more hotels is not bad, but it will never be Miami, WPB, etc.

God willing. We need our own identity, not copying things you can already get in South Florida.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2017, 11:08:55 AM »
The 35 ft height restriction is a joke, even at the beach. It denies the property owner the opportunity to maximize a property's money-making potential. Heights much taller should be allowed from the second block going west off the beach. Shadows cast by buildings at that distance would not be an issue. Height restriction excuses are just that, excuses for inhibiting development of our beaches. Shameful!!!
I'm not opposed to the 35 foot height restriction in certain areas of the beach.  East of 3rd street between 4th North and South should be pedestrian scale and less tall.  Around the strictly residential streets of Neptune, Atlantic, and Ponte Vedra there should be limits.  Otherwise I think the market should dictate the scope of projects, but zoning should guide those development towards proper street interaction and pedestrian environments.

remc86007

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2017, 02:13:31 PM »
I'm not opposed to the 35 foot height restriction in certain areas of the beach.  East of 3rd street between 4th North and South should be pedestrian scale and less tall.  Around the strictly residential streets of Neptune, Atlantic, and Ponte Vedra there should be limits.  Otherwise I think the market should dictate the scope of projects, but zoning should guide those development towards proper street interaction and pedestrian environments.

It (the height restriction) seems to me to be a bit arbitrary and might discourage otherwise appropriate development. In the areas you listed where you suggest there should be restrictions, I imagine that the local zoning boards could, even without a height restriction, ensure that new development fits the surrounding area.