Author Topic: Hotel & Condo Projects Proposed for Jax Beach  (Read 16179 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Hotel & Condo Projects Proposed for Jax Beach
« on: September 15, 2015, 09:20:01 PM »
Hotel & Condo Projects Proposed for Jax Beach

The Klotz Companies Group of Companies and Tierra Linda Development plan to construct hotel and condominium project at 715 First Street North in Jacksonville Beach.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-sep-hotel-condo-projects-proposed-for-jax-beach

JaxJersey-licious

Re: Hotel & Condo Projects Proposed for Jax Beach
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 11:16:23 PM »
Cool renderings. I'm curious if the Atlantis project would also utilize the vacant lot across First Street from their oceanfront site.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 12:46:47 AM »
The beaches developments are starting to get exciting...

Captain Zissou

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 09:32:25 AM »
This looks pretty awesome.  Maybe the north end of Jax beach will be a little more upscale than the dive-ish bars from 1st-4th street.

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 09:47:57 AM »
Good stuff. Just moved back to the Beaches over the summer and development is popping up all over the place. Also, Burrito Gallery officially signed up for a location at the beach. Any update on Hawkers?

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 11:17:56 AM »
Good stuff. Just moved back to the Beaches over the summer and development is popping up all over the place. Also, Burrito Gallery officially signed up for a location at the beach. Any update on Hawkers?

I heard from a good source that they will be locating in the Beaches Town Center and hope to open sometime next year. Game-changing things are really opening up in the beaches.

FlaBoy

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 12:45:08 AM »
Any word on this?

Also, I understand the sunlight issues, but what is with the uber strict height restrictions in Jax Beach?

vicupstate

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2016, 09:28:03 AM »
Any word on this?

Also, I understand the sunlight issues, but what is with the uber strict height restrictions in Jax Beach?

Voter referendum passed several years back to limit structures to 35 feet. Atlantic and Neptune Beaches had the same thing in place long before that. Obviously many buildings taller than that were built prior to that referendum.     
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

jaxjaguar

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2016, 12:03:28 PM »
What's the goal of limiting the height of structures? Just preventing more people? Or is there some other reason?

icarus

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2016, 12:14:15 PM »
The retirement tower at Beach and 3rd was extremely concerned about the loss of their ocean views and the residents were very local.

The other argument was that it would take away from the historical beach side community feel of the area. (NIMBY)

There is a more "mature" voting block that advocates for status quo at the beach.  This is why outdoor seating and amongst other things are routinely denied at the beach.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 12:57:01 PM »
Don't know all the politics of the height limit, but I do remember the concern about putting the beach itself in perpetual afternoon shade if towers were lined up along the oceanfront.
I  wonder if a stair step approach would be palatable. 35' at First, 50 feet at 2nd, and so on. Or whatever heights would preserve a sunny beach.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 02:45:15 PM »
I must have missed this announcement, what's the status on this project?

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 03:57:01 PM »
Vert. construction is very green. Jacksonville Beach whored out is "little beach town" feel years ago. As a 3rd gen local, I say build them to the moon, just build them WEST of 1st Street. We do not need a south Florida "Condo Canyon" with limited access to us Natty lite drinkers. There is a political group that fought the building heights and basically won the fight, but, they do not speak for the real locals who live here.
 There are a few spaces that are "grandfathered" in to build higher than 35'.

I agree about restricting buildings east of 1st St.  If it was me I would start clearing out all of the structures between the beach and the first inland street.  There should be no private ownership of waterfront.
Third Place

acme54321

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 07:17:31 PM »
Why stop at the first inland street?  Let's take it all the way to the ditch!  Yeah!!

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 10:27:53 PM »
Because the objective is to make the waterfront open to everyone.  I think if you saw places that didn't allow private development on waterfronts you would find it very appealing.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 10:30:04 PM by Kerry »
Third Place