Poll

I would be interested in joining an MJ-led group tour (select all that apply)

over a weekend (no days off work)
11 (22.9%)
from Wed/Thurs - Sunday (couple days off work)
5 (10.4%)
all-in travel costs < $500
5 (10.4%)
all-in travel costs < $1000
4 (8.3%)
money aint a thang
2 (4.2%)
to Charleston
7 (14.6%)
to Charlotte
5 (10.4%)
to Pittsburgh
3 (6.3%)
to anywhere, if Lake's there i'm there
6 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Who wants a "Learning From" MJ Trip??  (Read 11875 times)

ProjectMaximus

Re: Who wants a "Learning From" MJ Trip??
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 01:42:13 PM »
What cities have pretty cheap direct flights from Jax? 

Generally it's Atlanta, Charlotte, Fort Lauderdale, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago, Nashville, DC, Baltimore, New York and Boston. These are fairly often available for under $200 rt.

If we include St Aug's airport then we could add Trenton (and Philadelphia via Trenton) to that list. Obviously flying out of Orlando would open up many more possibilities.

The_Choose_1

• We Are Norfolk Southern
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 06:19:42 PM »
Just trying to get a feel for interest, and if so to what degree of time commitment, cost, etc.
Also picked a few cities that vary in caliber and distance just to get an idea of what might ultimately be best to target.
Comment away if you have any preferences, thoughts, etc.
We can figure out dates in the future, but I know I can't possibly do this until after the new year.

Getting back to the original purpose of this thread, I can't do anything for the rest of this year since my schedule is pretty booked up, but I'm open to  doing something in 2016. A trip to a place like Savannah or Charleston can be easily put together over a weekend.  Same goes for places South of us like Miami (only cost $100 for direct flight from JAX to FTL) or Tampa (3-hour drive). Pittsburgh is a pretty interesting place too. It's a great walkable example of a city that's turned it's rust belt economy around. In fact, most of those rust belt cities (ex. Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, Cleveland, etc.) are interesting. What cities have pretty cheap direct flights from Jax? 

I could do an international trip as well, however anything requiring me to take a week off from work is going to take an extra bit of planning and coordination.  I only get 3 weeks of PTO, so I tend to ration those days out around holidays and weekends. Anyway, all that to say, is I'm open to participating.
This taken from my Friend who lives in Manly Australia. Taken in isolation, and basing your argument one one instance is easy. But to give Sydney it's due the first duty of the colonial leaders was self sufficiency and the survival of the colony. In 1788 no one could imagine a city of five million people, let alone the growth that will see a city of ten million by 2030! As I said above our CBD is a messy assair compared to boring planned Melbourne, Adelaide or a city like Christchurch in New Zealand, but most Sydneysiders think those cities soulless. As I said above, the twentieth century has seen the town planners arrive, and we are now a planners' paradise. Time will tell how it all works out. Then again Wikipedia is not the best reference in the world is it?
One of many unsung internet heroes who are almost entirely misunderstood. Contrary to popular belief, many trolls are actually quite intelligent. Their habitual attacks on forums is usually a result of their awareness of the pretentiousness and excessive self-importance of many forum enthusiasts.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 07:09:31 PM »
What cities have pretty cheap direct flights from Jax? 

Generally it's Atlanta, Charlotte, Fort Lauderdale, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago, Nashville, DC, Baltimore, New York and Boston. These are fairly often available for under $200 rt.

If we include St Aug's airport then we could add Trenton (and Philadelphia via Trenton) to that list. Obviously flying out of Orlando would open up many more possibilities.

Depends on exactly what you want to see, compare or "learn from". Nashville is probably most comparable to Jax on several levels. Historic development pattern, river city, similar scale and density, etc. However, it has a new convention center, a bad example of commuter rail ridership (but good example of building rail on the cheap), a vibrant downtown entertainment district, a better BRT corridor in development, etc.

Baltimore's Inner Harbor is great if the focus is on clustering development around the riverfront and tying in nearby walkable neighborhoods with the core downtown area.

Both Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are great examples of riverfronts being turned around. Especially, if the focus is on stuff like the shipyards and development around stadium districts. Pittsburgh has BRT and LRT and great walkable neighborhoods to learn from. The redevelopment of Cincinnati's Over-The-Rhine, West End and downtown offer valuable lessons as well. However, both of those cities are a hell of a lot denser and walkable than Jax will ever be.

Chicago, DC and Boston are completely different tiers but they have a ton of neighborhoods with things that would be applicable to Riverside, Springfield, Durkeeville, San Marco, Brooklyn, etc.

Out of this list, Atlanta, Charlotte and Fort Lauderdale would be lowest to me. Atlanta and Charlotte are low density cities with no significant bodies of water that their urban cores were built around. Charlotte would be good for evaluating the new rail lines and the TOD around them. However, I consider Uptown very different than DT Jax's Northbank. The Northbank is older and denser than anything Charlotte had historically and its condition is closer to that of a city like a Memphis, Louisville, Birmingham or second tier Midwestern city like Kansas City.

Atlanta and South Florida are different leagues as well. Miami is quickly becoming an international city. The amount of cranes in the sky will depress you about Jax's situation, more than anything else. Atlanta is a big sprawler built around a ton of old goat's paths and trading posts that don't connect. It's also five times our size. However, if the interest is in Atlanta, the development of the Beltline and the neighborhoods surrounding it are definitely worth a visit.

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 08:01:22 PM »
^Yeah, let's get a handful of core people together who are committed to going and we can discuss the direction and make a decision. Then we can open it up to everyone. Every single one of those trips sounds good to me haha

CCMjax

• "That's what we're here for boys . . . to win!!"
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 08:58:22 PM »
A quick hitter and easy pregame trip could be to check out Orlando for those who haven't been lately.  Although not on a river there is much to learn from Orlando's success in their downtown redevelopment and also neighborhoods such as Winter Park, Thornton Park and the new one Baldwin Park (think Healthy Town but bigger and without the stupid name) just outside of downtown.  The new commuter rail is also worth checking out.  Not sure if I'd be able to make either trip, but thought I'd throw the idea of a close pregame out there.
"The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought himself of saying 'This is mine,' and found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society." - Jean Jacques Rousseau

Captain Zissou

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 09:14:43 AM »
I'm in for something that can be done over a saturday & sunday in spring of 2016.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 10:34:20 AM »
Bump for more votes.

Noone

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 04:29:52 PM »
I'm in for something that can be done over a saturday & sunday in spring of 2016.

Pub Crawl!

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 05:25:54 PM »
We're beginning to plan but cannot see which members voted in the poll. If anyone is seriously interested in joining such a weekend trip, please get in touch with me via PM or response to this thread. Thanks!!

vicupstate

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 10:11:15 PM »
Nashville is probably most comparable to Jax on several levels. Historic development pattern, river city, similar scale and density, etc.

And it is consolidated, so perhaps upon seeing it, the tired lame excuse of 'consolidation killed the core' can finally be put to rest. I sent several days there a few years back and it is an impressive city but yet a good model for JAX to follow.

Also, it is a newer NFL city   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2015, 11:34:52 AM »
Nashville is definitely an option!

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2015, 05:41:46 PM »
Question for all...would YOU be more inclined to come if:

1) you pay one, all-inclusive price for flights/hotel (no markup...possibly even a slight discount at a group rate)

or

2) if we just provide an itinerary (tour starts at X location in Y city at Z o'clock) and you make all of your own travel arrangements

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2015, 11:20:49 AM »
I'd recommend #2.

#1 is too structured and requires a higher level of organization. #2 gives you flexibility. For example, if you can't make a 8am flight or you have a discount to a certain hotel brand, you still have the ability to put together a travel arrangement plan that works best for you or your preferences.

In my case, I personally prefer to fly-in the night before, get settled, eat dinner on the town, etc., instead of flying in the morning. I have a pretty decent family discount rate with Marriott, so the extra night isn't a major expense for me. This may not be ideal for others, so flexibility is always best, IMO.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:23:37 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali