Author Topic: Zoo Makes Money, City Wants It  (Read 1973 times)

downtownparks

Zoo Makes Money, City Wants It
« on: June 11, 2008, 09:58:26 PM »
http://www.news4jax.com/news/16576837/detail.html

Im not even all that upset that the city is asking the zoo to take a little less, what amazes me is how badly the city manages to communicate these types of things to the people being effected by it.

Zoo Makes Money, City Wants

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The success of the new stingray exhibit at the Jacksonville Zoo could end up stinging the zoo right in the pocket.

The mayor's staff said they may not have to give the zoo as much money this year because the zoo is raking in more cash than ever before.

"The zoo has experienced such success, they have been willing to ask for less of a subsidy than they have in past years," said mayor's office spokeswoman Susie Wiles.

Each year the city funds 12 percent of the zoo's budget. Last year, that cost the city nearly $1.4 million.

At a time when the city is looking to cut $25 million from all city services, leaders said it's great to hear the zoo would be willing to take a cut of about $153,000.

However, when Channel 4 reporter Jim Piggott asked zoo officials about the cut, officials said it was the first they've heard about it.

They said didn't know their good work was going to cost them in the end.

"It's really hard for us to take. We can't really speak to it right now because we have not been told anything about it from the city. So, we can't answer questions about potential cuts in the budget yet," said Gina Stiles, of the Jacksonville Zoo.

The zoo said attendance has not really increased, but explained the people who come to visit the animals have been spending more money.

The new, temporary stingray exhibit is a good example of something zoo-goers can pay extra to see.

Zoo officials said they are looking at other ways to bring in more money, but said they still need the city's financial help.

"We still have a laundry list of things that really need to be done that we have not been able to do because of funding," Stiles said.

Funding has been a big issue with a lot of city departments and is something that city is considering. The mayor has to come up with a budget by mid-July.

Copyright 2008 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Driven1

Re: Zoo Makes Money, City Wants It
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 11:06:37 PM »
what a success story for the zoo though!  what a model for corporations what we lure here and they keep on asking for subsidies, eh?  you are right on though DTP...sad that the first time the zoo folks here about it is when the reporter asks them.

Driven1

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 11:07:33 PM »
and actually, the more i think about it, the more i think we should actually make it in the budget to at least MATCH last year's subsidy.  after all, the zoo has shown the can be good stewards of the $$.  much more so than many, many other places we have sent the $$.

copperfiend

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:10:32 PM »
153k down. Only 24.8 million to go.

KenFSU

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 04:20:29 PM »
The stingray exhibit is only temporary?

RiversideGator

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 05:21:28 PM »
Typical behavior for the Peyton administration.

The stingray exhibit is to last for something like 2 years.  It is a neat exhibit and kids love it BTW.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 09:42:52 AM »
I loved it too and it looked pretty permanent to me.