Author Topic: Largest Public Art Project in Jville History Needs You  (Read 6138 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Largest Public Art Project in Jville History Needs You
« on: June 25, 2015, 03:00:02 AM »
Largest Public Art Project in Jville History Needs You

The Duval County Courthouse public art project is set to be one of the City’s most memorable permanent public art commissions in our history – with $866,000 allocated for public art from the construction budget as per the City of Jacksonville Art in Public Places Program ordinance. As the Art in Public Places Committee gears up to begin soliciting RFQs (Request for Qualifications) and the art selection process, the Cultural Council is seeking public input to help inform the process and shape the ultimate selection.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-jun-largest-public-art-project-in-jville-history-needs-you

CG7

Re: Largest Public Art Project in Jville History Needs You
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 10:07:23 AM »
With that amount of money, The City of Jacksonville and it's citizen should be able to come up with a great project that not only incorporates a one of a kind art installation, but hopefully a usable public space surrounding the art. At least I can hope. I will also participate in the process, to hopefully help produce something we can all be proud of.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 11:04:07 AM »
Yes, I'd hate for that much money to spent on a piece of non-interactive art or static sculpture, when the space around it still needs so much work. With that type of money, the project should be one where the entire green space between the courthouse's front doors and Adams Street becomes an interactive piece of art that can be utilized by the public.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

UNFurbanist

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 11:21:14 AM »
This is great! I always thought that lawn was a huge waste of space. If it could become a nice public park with some meaningful art that would be awesome. Part of me hopes it is a little more neo-classical in nature. Sending messages of justice and equality are important for civic spaces like this. Hell, it might even compel some of the people to actually do their job.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:30:00 AM by UNFurbanist »

Dapperdan

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 11:28:26 AM »
Dare we dream we could get something like Chicago's Cloud Gate bean structure?

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 11:32:04 AM »
This is great! I always thought that lawn was a huge waste of space.

It's a much better temporary use for the space then a permanent highway:
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2011-feb-why-monroe-street-should-not-be-rebuilt

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-oct-rebuild-monroe-street-why-bother

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2009-jul-urban-infill-a-courthouse-square-for-jacksonville

This has been going on for almost a decade and there is finally light at the end of the tunnel (an even brighter light now that Kimberly Daniels has been voted out of office, who at the last minute tried to steal away the AIPP monies that would be used to fund the courthouse plaza/art project and redirect those funds to the State Attorneys Office).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 11:38:26 AM by fieldafm »

IrvAdams

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 01:10:10 PM »
^^Yes, yes, very good ideas. Interactive art work project(s) that encourage people to hang around and spend some time in this area. It could be a great place to meet, have lunch, watch live entertainment. A big influence on the surrounding blocks which are much in need of revitalization.
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
- Lao Tzu

camarocane

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 02:59:27 PM »
Reinvest that money into DCPS Art programs and have the students create the art...

jaxjaguar

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 03:53:08 PM »
Dare we dream we could get something like Chicago's Cloud Gate bean structure?

Haha I can see it now. A chrome structure goes in place and causes the remaining historic buildings to go up in flames under the Florida sun.

I do agree though, a few large distinguished pieces of art, some shady trees along the sidewalks and some smaller interactive pieces would be really nice.

For_F-L-O-R-I-D-A

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 04:31:29 PM »
What about expanding the size of the park with some of the vacant lots around the courthouse to create a legitimate area for people to use? A nice park could attract some additional investments in the area around LaVilla. Right now, DT Jax has Hemming, but no real park land until you go up to Springfield or over to the stadium.

Andy

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 10:09:40 AM »
Reinvest that money into DCPS Art programs and have the students create the art...

I'm usually in favor of helping arts programs for kids but this is a big opportunity to get something major and iconic for the city. I don't think we should hand it over to children. Though they could, theoretically, be involved on some level.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 04:44:44 PM »

I'm usually in favor of helping arts programs for kids but this is a big opportunity to get something major and iconic for the city. I don't think we should hand it over to children. Though they could, theoretically, be involved on some level.

Yes absolutely. +1000

WmNussbaum

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 11:03:26 PM »
If there is to be art work between the front of the courthouse and Adams Street, then get rid of those ugly as hell newspaper racks along the entry sidewalk. 

Redbaron616

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 12:31:35 AM »
I am amazed, or maybe not, that no one questions shelling out just short of $1M of the taxpayers' money for ART. Not a necessary building, or salaries, but ART. This is why many of us have ZERO faith in Government. Because all Big Government knows how to do is spend lots of taxpayer dollars on totally unnecessary things. You are taking money from taxpayers for this? Give the money back and it will be better served.

UNFurbanist

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 06:52:26 PM »
^haha would you like to receive your 50 cents back in the form of a check or coins? This mentality is why Jax doesn't have nice things. It is part of a city ordinance so if you don't like public art then start a petition to get that 3/4 of 1% requirement removed but good luck with that. The only reason it is so much is because the courthouse was an ungodly sum of money, no argument here that the project itself was a ridiculous waste of cash but in my opinion at least we can maybe get something nice out of it.