Author Topic: Pet Food Petition  (Read 1294 times)

mvp

Pet Food Petition
« on: June 22, 2015, 02:16:09 PM »
Our pets deserve high quality food. We deserve to have the information we need to choose which foods to feed by knowing the quality of the ingredients that go into them.

There is process by which animal food manufacturers can apply for the diversion of adulterated food to be used in animal food. This includes unsafe levels of pesticides, industrial chemicals, filth, microbiological contamination, and drug residue. Read all about it here on the FDA website. http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceManuals/CompliancePolicyGuidanceManual/ucm074694.htm

If 100,000 signatures are obtained by July 5, the Obama administration will consider consumer concerns, as they do with all petitions of 100,000 signatures. There are only a little over 3,000 signatures at this time.

The petition is here. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/require-pet-food-manufacturers-disclose-quality-ingredients

Please sign it!

Require Pet Food Manufacturers to Disclose Quality of Ingredients

Some cat and dog foods are made from food ingredients, just like what you'd purchase in the grocery. Other cat and dog foods are made from an inferior quality of ingredients known in the pet food industry as feed grade, pet grade, or inedible ingredients.

Feed grade, pet grade or inedible ingredient pet foods are allowed by FDA to be made from (not all inclusive):

Meat sourced from diseased, dead, or dying animals; chemical or pesticide contaminated vegetables, grains, fruits.

Pet food consumers are NOT provided with information on the pet food bag or can disclosing if ingredients are food grade or inedible feed grade/pet grade quality.

Pet food consumers deserve to know what they are buying. FDA should require pet food to disclose quality of ingredients on labels.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
Re: Pet Food Petition
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 06:09:26 PM »

Tony
16 hrs ·
I know 2 puppies who are gonna be happy for their menu change.
Gonna compare costs of no dog food for the next week or two.
Has anyone given this a shot with any success?

Like · Comment ·

Funny you posted, because I just posted this up last night.  Has/does anyone do this currently?

I have 2 weimeraners.  1 is 60lbs the other 90.  I go through a 40lb bag of food about 2 1/2 weeks at $65/bag (Ultra Large Breed).

They have always gotten fresh veggies, raw meat and eggs to supplement the dogfood diet, but I'm going to try a complete raw diet for the next few weeks and compare the costs and see how the dogs react.  They're fairly active dogs, running between 12-20 miles a week

A 5lb bag of brown rice, 5 lb carrots, 5 lb apples and 4 lbs of squash cost roughly $18 and will get me through 5-6 days it seems.  We'll see.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams