Author Topic: comments on bumping threads.  (Read 6217 times)

spuwho

comments on bumping threads.
« on: June 07, 2015, 09:14:13 PM »
wow.  spontaneous celebrations breaking out across the country in multiple cities.  People are going nuts.  Its like watching the celebrations from WW2

Stephen,

Help me understand when you pull up a thread from 3, 4 even 8 years ago, quote yourself and then offer no updates, no additional commentary, perhaps some newsbit or assumption from years past that escaped us?

I know you love mining history (as do I), but what is the goal when you mine yourself and offer no update?

Radio Man

Re: comments on bumping threads.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 11:00:10 PM »
I, for one, find it tedious. It clogs up the forum and detracts from cogent and relevant conversations about current topics. For what reason? I neither know nor care. The reason I subscribed to this site was for the well-researched and well-presented research into the history and stories about our city, that can be found nowhere else. Kudos to those creators.

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 01:25:36 AM »
really its a way of just reminding people of the conversation, allowing them to review things that we have already discussed (often before people have started reading the forums) and leaving a place marker for easy reference to return to.

For the past few days I've been hunting for an old forum thread where we posted maps of starbucks in other downtown throughout the country, and along the way reminded of unfinished or newly relevant conversations.

Since I'm reading my own posting history (in the search for the old starbucks maps) I'm most easily able to quote my own posts (since thats what is being sorted)

Part of the problem of having such a comprehensive site with so many free ranging conversations, is that often times the conversation happens within the context of a thread which was originally titled something else that has no obvious connection to the relevant part of the discussion.

So searching for old points is a pretty old fashioned needle in a haystack jaunt.

We have almost ten years of pretty cogent conversations with hundreds of the city's most insightful people.  Quite often its wonderful to revisit them.

Although I agree that their are definitely a treasure trove's wealth of old MJ articles and I and many of us would prefer to bring up articles that are relevant today (to paraphrase an old Chevy Chase Saturday Night Live line, "Osama Bin Laden is still dead!")  I would also like to see some commentary and discussion about what has happened since a particular old topic was brought up, or any updates on what had or is happening now with a previous post. Besides, most posters wanting to see if a topic was discussed earlier can easily search it through this site as I have or post it anew and someone else can post a previous link to former discourses.

I mainly wish you were being more selective in your re-posts because I hate how you post so many of them all at once since some of them take some time to go over. And it could be perceived that since you're flooding the forum with your own posts that you're trying to subjugate or stifle other posters topics and discussions (I really don't believe that to be the case, I just think you may have some kind of ADD thing going on  ;))

I-10east

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 06:14:28 AM »
The reasons why I wouldn't reply to someone's comment in 2006 (or any archive frankly) are....

1. Many people opinions change over the years concerning certain issues; Including myself.

2. Being that proverbial 'I told you so' guy is annoying to others.

3. Some of these posters (like Charleston Native) aren't even active on MJ to defend themselves. Now how sporty is that? 

acme54321

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 11:07:24 AM »
I, for one, find it tedious. It clogs up the forum and detracts from cogent and relevant conversations about current topics. For what reason? I neither know nor care. The reason I subscribed to this site was for the well-researched and well-presented research into the history and stories about our city, that can be found nowhere else. Kudos to those creators.

Agree 100%. 

finehoe

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 11:48:42 AM »
It would seem that some people are unaware that if you don't want to read a particular thread, you don't have to click on it.

acme54321

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 12:17:37 PM »

Agree 100%.

yawn.  and our forums are where we generate a good amount of our leads for research btw. In fact just today for example the old threads are being discussed with new information. so…….

How does that have anything to do with the arbitrary bumping of 7 year old threads?

acme54321

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 12:20:19 PM »
It would seem that some people are unaware that if you don't want to read a particular thread, you don't have to click on it.

I for one use the "Latest Discussion" section on the main page to see what topics are being actively posted on.  When half of them are old bumped posts, as we experienced yesterday, it's kind of aggravating.  Plus I'm not sure how you are supposed to know a post is just an old bumped one with no added information without reading it?

acme54321

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 01:19:24 PM »
Did you actually think I expected it to?  ::)

Jimmy

• Less talking and more doing.
    • @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 04:39:58 PM »
The problem it creates for me is that I glance at the front page to see if topics of interest are being discussed.  Being greeted by a full front page of re-runs does nothing for me and I don't delve deeper.

Many forums have rules against thread-bumping.  I'll use the suggestion box. (Yes, I know, the person reading the suggestion box is the biggest offender.  Nonetheless.)
twitter.com/JimmyMidyette

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »
Pep up, bub. 

I have no idea how long JOL has been offline, maybe 4 or 5 years?  If anyone has copies of anything, it's not me.

The link you refer to wasn't on the forum.  I might have a hard drive somewhere that contains things that weren't posted to the forums.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 04:57:13 PM »
I just want to know what posts are on Stephen's oft mentioned all-time dumbest posts list.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 05:02:03 PM »
you guys were up for a good three or four years then?
I guess so.  I created my account here the same day I created my account there.  June 2007.  Thereabouts.