Author Topic: Spring Park?  (Read 5250 times)

Carolyn

Spring Park?
« on: April 21, 2015, 06:14:38 PM »
Hi all,
I have questions about living in Spring Park is this the correct (sub) forumLOL: Jacksonville by Neighborhood » The Burbs » Southside

coredumped

• Huge Member
Re: Spring Park?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 06:49:01 PM »
Yep, though you could consider it part of St. Nicholas. If it's wrong the mods can move it:)

What are your questions?
Jags season ticket holder.

Carolyn

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 07:15:56 PM »
I have some pre babble before my questions just in case there are other questions I should ask lol

My family and I are looking to buy a house.
I know someone who is a Real Estate agent, I let him know we prequalified for a mortgage (we didn't want to bite off more than we could chew so we asked for a VERY conservative price), and asked what was out there in our price range.
He gave me a list of 32 properties.
He was just about to go out of town on vacation so wanted to give us enough to keep us busy, (just checking out the neighborhoods) we are in no rush, we are renting right now and our lease is not up until October of this year, after that if we have not found anything we will go month to month.
Most of the properties are between JTB and Merrill Road, west of 295.
I checked them out online and saw 5 or 6 that my husband and I could check out one afternoon.
There was one in particular that I liked, when we got there it is literally right beside 95.
There were a couple others in the area too so we checked them as well.

My questions are
1. Is there some silly ordinance the prevents a tree line/barrier from being planted? None of the places we saw had any type of tree line between the property and the wall to 95.  As a home owner there my first task would be to plant some trees to buffer the
noise and road dirt. I know it wouldn't completely block it but it seems like it would help.
2.Do any of you fine Jaxfolk own or know of someone who owns property right beside 95? Other than the noise and possible grime what reason if any would you not buy a property beside 95 (or any major road for that matter.

PS The house is really cute and it has a gas stove which is HUGE!

Thanks in Advance.

David

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 10:00:50 AM »
I grew up about 600 Ft from 95 (near Spring Park actually) So i may be a bit partial to it's sounds.

But the noise walls do help with cutting back on a lot of noise. And the noise is pretty negligible. It's more of a gentle hum with the occasional sound of a semi-trucks using their engine breaks to slow down. I never found it too distracting.

Right now i'm living off a busy side street near a boat ramp which has proven to be far noisier. (Big trucks towing boats, hitting the gas hard when accelerating from a dead stop.)  But once we're inside the house it isn't too bad. Check the windows on that house near the interstate. If they're modern they may reduce any road noise.

As far as home value concerns from living so close to the interstate, i'm not sure. Maybe someone else could tackle that one.

My only other concern would be interstate expansion in the future. If you're right next to the sound wall there's always the possibility of 95 expanding one day as a few of the residents of St. Nicholas found out in recent years.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:13:41 AM by David »

Carolyn

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 10:27:06 AM »
I grew up about 600 Ft from 95 (near Spring Park actually) So i may be a bit partial to it's sounds.

But the noise walls do help with cutting back on a lot of noise. And the noise is pretty negligible. It's more of a gentle hum with the occasional sound of a semi-trucks using their engine breaks to slow down. I never found it too distracting.

Right now i'm living off a busy side street near a boat ramp which has proven to be far noisier. (Big trucks towing boats, hitting the gas hard when accelerating from a dead stop.)  But once we're inside the house it isn't too bad. Check the windows on that house near the interstate. If they're modern they may reduce any road noise.

As far as home value concerns from living so close to the interstate, i'm not sure. Maybe someone else could tackle that one.

I agree, right now we live on a very busy street and it is not just traffic we hear but honking, and other traffic type noises that come with it music, people yelling etc..

I think this is going to be a home we stay in for a while so resale would not be an issue for a long time. Hopefully... fingers crossed lol

I was wondering I guess about some type of tree line, bamboo specifically, I know it grows fast and tall. I was surprised to not see any so that is why I was wondering if it is frowned upon by...whoever is in charge of 95 really.

Thank you for your input.

When my husband and I went out there late morning early afternoon the neighborhood itself seemed pretty quiet and relatively well kept no trash but some overgrown yards and cars parked on lawns lol well grass not really *lawns lol.

It seemed nicely casual no rules about yard maintenance.

Plus the house we were looking at is on the end of a cul-de-sac and actually has a lot of yard around it.

We are just trying to narrow down the list before our Real Estate guy gets back

again thank you for your input.

David would you move back to Spring Park ?

David

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 12:08:58 PM »
I agree, right now we live on a very busy street and it is not just traffic we hear but honking, and other traffic type noises that come with it music, people yelling etc..

I think this is going to be a home we stay in for a while so resale would not be an issue for a long time. Hopefully... fingers crossed lol

I was wondering I guess about some type of tree line, bamboo specifically, I know it grows fast and tall. I was surprised to not see any so that is why I was wondering if it is frowned upon by...whoever is in charge of 95 really.

Thank you for your input.

When my husband and I went out there late morning early afternoon the neighborhood itself seemed pretty quiet and relatively well kept no trash but some overgrown yards and cars parked on lawns lol well grass not really *lawns lol.

It seemed nicely casual no rules about yard maintenance.

Plus the house we were looking at is on the end of a cul-de-sac and actually has a lot of yard around it.

We are just trying to narrow down the list before our Real Estate guy gets back

again thank you for your input.

David would you move back to Spring Park ?

The location was convenient, but it depends on which area of Spring Park you're talking about. I want to say the area north of Emerson near Philips was a little more run down, but this is going off 15-20 year old memories.

If it's near St. Nicholas it may be a little nicer.  The area by Englewood seemed like more of your typical quiet working class neighborhood. 

We definitely had no qualms about parking on the grass there haha. I can't do that where i'm at now.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 12:49:07 PM by David »

Carolyn

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 09:56:14 PM »
We can deal with run down.
The area seemed ok the property are looking at is pretty nice.
Thank you again David we appreciate the input.

anyone else?

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 12:22:50 AM »
COJ has a really good crime map that would be worth checking out. Also on the GIS map they have good layers, I find the flood zone one to be interesting. I'm not familiar with the area, but it's worth a look.
Jags season ticket holder.

Carolyn

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 08:54:47 AM »
thank you coredumped
I looked briefly, navigating that site isn't super simple but I will check it out further
again thank you

menace1069

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 09:01:49 AM »
Have you tried reaching out to the city directly? They can probably answer question about planting trees. I wouldn't think that it would be a problem.
I could be wrong about that...it's been known to happen.

camarocane

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »
For those who would like to see the 100yr and 500yr zones mapped, this is always a good starting point and fairly simple to use.

https://msc.fema.gov/portal/search

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 12:43:56 PM »
I-95 is maintained by FDOT. Those noise walls are fairly new. They may have cut down trees to install them. I doubt there's much space left on FDOT right-of-way for trees now.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali