Author Topic: The Issue of Cover Bands at One Spark  (Read 11609 times)

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
Re: The Issue of Cover Bands at One Spark
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 09:26:45 AM »
An even bigger issues of whether One Spark should allow cover bands to compete as creators (seeing how they aren't "creating" anything)  is that the legal implications are obviously not considered here.  As a long time member of ASCAP, I can tell you that it is illegal to perform cover songs without obtaining permission from one of the performing rights organizations (PRO). Furthermore, if an artist is receiving compensation for performing those cover songs, there is even more liability.

“Anyone who plays copyrighted music in a public establishment is required to obtain advanced permission from the copyright owner, or their representative.”  The responsibility for procuring this license usually falls on the venue or organization hosting the band. Owners of performance venues purchase license agreements from one or all of the big PRO's.

So technically, all those performances of "Dirty Diana" (and all the other tunes) should have been licensed in order to perform them in public.

I'm no attorney however I've experienced both the receiving end of being an ASCAP member, for songs I've co-produced and published; as well as on the paying end for venues I've operated. The PRO's don't play...

One Spark might have paid for the licensing. I have no knowledge whether they did or not, but it would have been simple. I'd imagine for the whole festival it would only be $500 or less to ASCAP, BMI and SESAC.

menace1069

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2015, 09:30:16 AM »
I have to agree with the majority here...cover bands are simply playing the music of someone else. As a musician of over 35 years, I have played in both cover and original bands. Cover bands should not be allowed at a festival that promotes creativity and originality, a festival that is trying to bring attention to the artist to further their career. OneSpark is perfect for original bands who are trying to do just that.  As an example, the Florida Music Festival, held in Orlando, promote the exposure of originality and only original bands.

IMO, while cover bands are great for bars, weddings and general background music/entertainment, they shouldn't be allowed to enter the competition.
I could be wrong about that...it's been known to happen.

hiddentrack

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2015, 11:26:12 AM »
A Code of Conduct would also be useful to spell out acceptable behavior so the event doesn't turn into something that starts turning people off. If people correlate the "success" of The City.Guide with their tactics, we could start seeing some very questionable behavior from creators in the future. Before this year, I never thought about One Spark turning into some type of cheesy trade show, but now I'm not so sure it won't happen.

I believe I understand where you're coming from with this, and I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the general concept of earning 'votes' to win a prize has never been one of just letting the product speak for itself. 

And don't take that as I believe it takes high-pressure sales and bully tactics to sell something, but if you only have a short period of time to push your product, votes are free so there's no true fear of buyers' remorse, the reward strongly outweighs the risk of seeming pushy. 

Or....

Just buy the votes straight up.  Allocate a $6k 'marketing' budget and use social media to broadcast that the first 2,000 voters get a free beer.

Or....

You can just cheat.  I don't know the system that they have in place, but I'm pretty sure that I can run unlimited accounts from Bluestacks on my laptop and repeatedly download the app and vote once from each account.

Fair point, being rude and obnoxious isn't as bad as being a cheater. ;) They're all things that would really sour the spirit of One Spark, so I hope it can be reined in before it becomes a bigger issue.

The very tight timeline is One Spark's big drawback. That 5-day period from Wed-Sun really doesn't provide much time for a sufficient number of meaningful connections with voters/contributors. If you look at the established crowdfunding sites out there, very very few projects are funded within days of launch, and really great projects sometimes come down to the wire or aren't funded at all. Sure, people can still contribute money to projects after One Spark is over, but success is entirely weighted toward what happens in that 5-day period.

Last year, a lot of attention was paid to how little money was paid out, relative to the goals of the creators. One Spark made an effort to improve in that area. This year, I came away turned off by some of the behavior I saw by creators, and it sounds like people also perceived a lack of fairness between creators within some categories. Just like a lack of funds could've reduced participation from creators, bad experiences will reduce interest and attendance. Hopefully it's something that someone at One Spark is keeping an eye on.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 10:43:44 AM »
What about the fact that there are no controls over the prize money when distributed? I could say i needed funding for whatever and then just spend it all on booze and strippers if I was so inclined.

True.

If I were going to go as a creator, my take is that the one's that are there to seriously push their idea/product should be there hoping the One Spark platform might put them in front of actual financiers.  Any money they're awarded at the festival would be considered a bonus and after securing the $500k from the angel investor, I might use all of my One Spark winnings on booze and strippers.  :)

Depends on the mindset I suppose.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Spitfire

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 10:46:42 AM »
What about the fact that there are no controls over the prize money when distributed? I could say i needed funding for whatever and then just spend it all on booze and strippers if I was so inclined.

This is the first year that I've been really concerned about that factor. The Top Contributions winner was STUFFEE, which was a project by the Hands On Children's Museum. So a huge check just went to a business in town that knowingly discriminates against GLBT.   

Jax native

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 01:43:59 PM »
Say what you will about their 'tactics', but they received almost twice as many votes as second place and earned +$16k in funding....

Technology:
The City.Guide - $16,634.94 - 1,277 votes
AA Leather Bible Bindery & Custom Leather Shoppe - $825.79 - 645 votes
Snap Decision App - $620.95 - 485 votes

I'm usually obnoxious for free.  That guy earned $16k.

"That guy earned 16K".  hahahahahahhhahahah  Sorry, Red Neck.........That guy won ZERO!  About 30 -40 people had City.Guide t-shirts on. That guy was just a clueless tool running around.  he did NOT get the votes.  You're going to have to work harder at trying to prove me wrong.

Oh yay.  So you want to start an internet argument with someone after parsing a general statement over what?  Generalities?

That guy was representing The City.Guide
The City.Guide received $16k
That guy helped earn the $16k.

No, but why turn your words around??? You stated...."That guy make $16 K".   NO, he didn't.  That guy made nothing.  That "guy" doesn't work w/ City.Guide at all.  He was just wearing the free t-shirt they gave him.  I talked w/ City.Guide.  I know City.Guide.  That "guy" isn't City.Guide. 

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 02:24:03 PM »
I talked w/ City.Guide.  I know City.Guide.  That "guy" isn't City.Guide.

Sorry Jax native, I didn't realize we were still discussing this...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ULGaOaln6Ao?" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ULGaOaln6Ao?</a>
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Jax native

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 11:15:21 PM »
I talked w/ City.Guide.  I know City.Guide.  That "guy" isn't City.Guide.

Sorry Jax native, I didn't realize we were still discussing this...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ULGaOaln6Ao?" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ULGaOaln6Ao?</a>

Because you didn't realize i had a life outside of waiting for MJ posts.  I'm not as near to my computer 24/7 as you may be.  I have "life" going on also. 

Walk it off, get some fresh air.  Turn off the computer and breathe. 

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 06:28:01 PM »
Lol cute
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

Andy

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 10:49:40 AM »

This is the first year that I've been really concerned about that factor. The Top Contributions winner was STUFFEE, which was a project by the Hands On Children's Museum. So a huge check just went to a business in town that knowingly discriminates against GLBT.

I didn't know that about Hands On... That does bug me. What if One Spark only reimbursed companies for money spent? I dunno, that has a lot of problems as well. I think there's got to be a way to ensure where the cash is going when it's handed over to a given creator.

BennyKrik

• For me to PoupOn!
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2015, 08:06:38 AM »
I recently met with the city.guide sales rep to hear their sales pitch.

They charge $199 in start up fees and $99 per month to be listed in their directory. Young man showed me a rolodex of local companies who alright signed up with them. When you sign up, they list you in their directory, give you 500 free sales flyers, and create an app for your business which users can download from your webpage in their directory, which allows users to view your hours and promotions with one click. 

Well the page in directory is a simple copy and paste from your already existing Facebook page with business hours and description
If a potential customer downloads an app, the app itself is a mirror image of your listing in their directory.

If, let's say, you want to follow 10 local businesses with an app, you must download 10 apps!

I asked the young man how their business is different from Yelp/Urbanspoon, which are free services, he couldn't really answer. I think he only said well we are not in the business of user reviews. I later noticed my business was added to their directory without my permission AND they posted a $5 OFF coupon with $25 dollar purchase on my page; again, without my permission

So to sum this up, IMHO, this is a service that charges real money (not 'milk money'), they copy and paste from your face book page. They do not create any content.

Well Done, Jacksonville. Well Done, OneSpark