Author Topic: The Issue of Cover Bands at One Spark  (Read 11829 times)

johnnyliar

The Issue of Cover Bands at One Spark
« on: April 15, 2015, 11:03:23 AM »
http://folioweekly.com/cover-banned,12365

From Folio Weekly:
I tried to reconcile this. How a wonderful festival, geared toward uniting the brightest and most creative minds with investors and financiers, that relies on artists and musicians to attract a crowd to what would otherwise be a yawn-inducing series of startup pitchmen lining the streets with their Next Big Thing, would admit musicians who play other people's music and place them in the most visible spot in the fest.

It's shameful.

As a member of the band that received the most votes in the music category if you exclude Cover Bands, you could easily guess which side of the debate I stand on.

I'd just like to hear what everyone else thinks.

Thanks!

acme54321

Re: The Issue of Cover Bands at One Spark
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 11:12:17 AM »
I think that little paragraph sums up One Spark pretty well ;D

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 11:27:15 AM »
I wasn't able to make it this year to One Spark, but we went last year and heard a band called Herd of Watts at one of the downtown bars (can't remember which one). Don't know if they were in the voting, but they were VERY good. They've definitely got talent. 

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 11:36:22 AM »
Yeah, I don't know how you'd legislate something like that, but I hope that in the future a festival like One Spark will focus on bands that play original material.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

CityLife

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 11:43:03 AM »
Yeah, I don't know how you'd legislate something like that, but I hope that in the future a festival like One Spark will focus on bands that play original material.

I think it would be pretty easy. Just put in the contest guidelines that no cover bands are eligible to win any financial awards.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 11:51:10 AM by CityLife »

Bridges

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 11:50:10 AM »
I dunno.  If you mix in a few originals with some covers done in your own personal style then I think its ok.  Everyone, from the largest bands on down, covers songs.  Strangerwolf did a cover of Coldplay's Clocks, but made it their own style.  If you're talking a straight cover band like Get the Led Out, or Mini-Kiss, then I have a problem.  But I wouldn't rule out a Jazz band that covers rock songs (like the Bad Plus).

There was a band (won't name who) that was stuck in the Trio Lot for a long time.  They had maybe 3 songs in their repertoire.  They kept repeating them over and over, including the covers.
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.

hiddentrack

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 12:05:36 PM »
Right or wrong, I think the answer is in the question. One Spark "relies on artists and musicians to attract a crowd" and having "musicians who play other people's music" is a way to pull people in with something familiar.

The band I think we're discussing here was one of the bands at last year's After Dark events, and they were very well-received from what I remember. My guess would be that One Spark was happy to have them this year as creators, and put them front and center to help bring crowds that would mingle around other creators. I'm guessing a familiar cover is one way to go about that.

(Sidenote: It was certainly less shameful than one of the creators near Hemming Park who would set off a loud siren to get people's attention. I'd watch people look around to see if they needed to get out of the way for an emergency vehicle, and that creator would then pounce once people were looking in his direction. I wish I could remember the project, but it made me wish there was a way to down-vote a creator...)

I don't know where you draw the line. I'd like to see a more emphasis put on the quality of the projects. There were a few projects I couldn't make heads or tails of, and even when I pulled up their info in the One Spark app, I still had no idea what they were looking to be funded for.

If this band has an album full of original material, I think that's what they should've focused on. My guess is they went with their regular set that's made them popular.

Spitfire

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 12:44:55 PM »
(Sidenote: It was certainly less shameful than one of the creators near Hemming Park who would set off a loud siren to get people's attention. I'd watch people look around to see if they needed to get out of the way for an emergency vehicle, and that creator would then pounce once people were looking in his direction. I wish I could remember the project, but it made me wish there was a way to down-vote a creator...)

That was The City.Guide. They ended up taking first place in the Technology category.

A few members of my family attended for the first time this year and left with a really bad taste because of that Creator group. Apparently, one of their team members approached and told them about the project, and then were pressuring them into voting on the spot. The issue with that is a ton of my younger nieces and nephews were with them, and voting right then and there was not a possibility while keeping an eye on the kids. The guy said things like "why are you here if you aren't voting?" and "the whole point of being here is to vote" in a very condescending tone when told that my family members had checked in and planned to vote when they got home.

As someone who has attended all 3 years of One Spark, I had to assure them that the type of behavior that they experienced wasn't the norm and they shouldn't let it ruin their day. It's one thing to promote your idea and project, and another to be a total jerk.

Jax native

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 06:01:27 PM »

That was The City.Guide. They ended up taking first place in the Technology category.

A few members of my family attended for the first time this year and left with a really bad taste because of that Creator group. Apparently, one of their team members approached and told them about the project, and then were pressuring them into voting on the spot. The issue with that is a ton of my younger nieces and nephews were with them, and voting right then and there was not a possibility while keeping an eye on the kids. The guy said things like "why are you here if you aren't voting?" and "the whole point of being here is to vote" in a very condescending tone when told that my family members had checked in and planned to vote when they got home.

As someone who has attended all 3 years of One Spark, I had to assure them that the type of behavior that they experienced wasn't the norm and they shouldn't let it ruin their day. It's one thing to promote your idea and project, and another to be a total jerk.

I was at One Spark each day, and I could write a book about that one total jerk with light blue, City.Guide t-shirt.  He's tall white kid who was the most obnoxious person I saw at One Spark any day of the week.  I wanted to down vote them also. I will just say "obnoxious jerk " is probably the nicest adjectives I can use for him. 

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 06:07:05 PM »
Say what you will about their 'tactics', but they received almost twice as many votes as second place and earned +$16k in funding....

Technology:
The City.Guide - $16,634.94 - 1,277 votes
AA Leather Bible Bindery & Custom Leather Shoppe - $825.79 - 645 votes
Snap Decision App - $620.95 - 485 votes

I'm usually obnoxious for free.  That guy earned $16k.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Jax native

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 10:26:56 PM »
Say what you will about their 'tactics', but they received almost twice as many votes as second place and earned +$16k in funding....

Technology:

"That guy earned 16K".  hahahahahahhhahahah  Sorry, Red Neck.........That guy won ZERO!  About 30 -40 people had City.Guide t-shirts on. That guy was just a clueless tool running around.  he did NOT get the votes.  You're going to have to work harder at trying to prove me wrong. 

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 11:27:23 PM »

Technology:

"That guy earned 16K".  hahahahahahhhahahah  Sorry, Red Neck.........That guy won ZERO!  About 30 -40 people had City.Guide t-shirts on. That guy was just a clueless tool running around.  he did NOT get the votes.  You're going to have to work harder at trying to prove me wrong.

Oh yay.  So you want to start an internet argument with someone after parsing a general statement over what?  Generalities?

That guy was representing The City.Guide
The City.Guide received $16k
That guy helped earn the $16k.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

marty904

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 07:22:35 AM »
An even bigger issues of whether One Spark should allow cover bands to compete as creators (seeing how they aren't "creating" anything)  is that the legal implications are obviously not considered here.  As a long time member of ASCAP, I can tell you that it is illegal to perform cover songs without obtaining permission from one of the performing rights organizations (PRO). Furthermore, if an artist is receiving compensation for performing those cover songs, there is even more liability.

“Anyone who plays copyrighted music in a public establishment is required to obtain advanced permission from the copyright owner, or their representative.”  The responsibility for procuring this license usually falls on the venue or organization hosting the band. Owners of performance venues purchase license agreements from one or all of the big PRO's.

So technically, all those performances of "Dirty Diana" (and all the other tunes) should have been licensed in order to perform them in public.

I'm no attorney however I've experienced both the receiving end of being an ASCAP member, for songs I've co-produced and published; as well as on the paying end for venues I've operated. The PRO's don't play...

hiddentrack

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 08:56:05 AM »
For the benefit of themselves, for creators, and for people in attendance, it might be worth One Spark putting together a Creator Code of Conduct. I see they have some "Creator Rules" but they look more like regular T&Cs rather than something that governs standards of behavior.

Specific to musical performances, it could help level the playing field among musicians by requiring artists to display/perform their own works. I don't see anything unreasonable about that. Projects that are focused on something like music education could be exempt from that requirement, assuming it doesn't put One Spark in any legal hot water for the reasons @marty904 mentions.

A Code of Conduct would also be useful to spell out acceptable behavior so the event doesn't turn into something that starts turning people off. If people correlate the "success" of The City.Guide with their tactics, we could start seeing some very questionable behavior from creators in the future. Before this year, I never thought about One Spark turning into some type of cheesy trade show, but now I'm not so sure it won't happen.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 09:24:09 AM »
A Code of Conduct would also be useful to spell out acceptable behavior so the event doesn't turn into something that starts turning people off. If people correlate the "success" of The City.Guide with their tactics, we could start seeing some very questionable behavior from creators in the future. Before this year, I never thought about One Spark turning into some type of cheesy trade show, but now I'm not so sure it won't happen.

I believe I understand where you're coming from with this, and I don't necessarily disagree with you, but the general concept of earning 'votes' to win a prize has never been one of just letting the product speak for itself. 

And don't take that as I believe it takes high-pressure sales and bully tactics to sell something, but if you only have a short period of time to push your product, votes are free so there's no true fear of buyers' remorse, the reward strongly outweighs the risk of seeming pushy. 

Or....

Just buy the votes straight up.  Allocate a $6k 'marketing' budget and use social media to broadcast that the first 2,000 voters get a free beer.

Or....

You can just cheat.  I don't know the system that they have in place, but I'm pretty sure that I can run unlimited accounts from Bluestacks on my laptop and repeatedly download the app and vote once from each account.

-Douglas Adams