Author Topic: Lessons from America’s most walkable suburb  (Read 7105 times)

finehoe

Re: Lessons from America’s most walkable suburb
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 02:16:54 PM »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 02:43:04 PM »
Evidently, I never clicked on the article link in the initial post until now. Are they claiming Rosslyn is considered to be more walkable than neighboring Alexandria? I find Rosslyn to be pretty sterile at street level. With that said, that Orange Line metro corridor is an excellent example of integrating transit investment with supportive land use policies in suburbia.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

finehoe

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 03:00:33 PM »
I don't see anyplace where they specifically call out Rosslyn, although they do mention a couple of places other than the Orange Line corridor (Westover, Shirlington).

Alexandria was a city that pre-dates the District of Columbia.  It's somewhat of a stretch to call it a "suburb" as far as it's development is concerned.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:06:56 PM by finehoe »

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 03:21:40 PM »
^I only mentioned Rosslyn because of the skyline shot posted above. That specific area looks nice from across the Potomac but it could use some work at street level.  Things get better around the Courthouse, Clarendon, Virginia Square, etc. metro stations.

True Alexandria does pre-date DC. It's still a decent example of adding TOD around transit stations while still blending in with the surrounding established built environment at street level. I remember visiting the area back in the 1980s and much of the stuff between King St and Eisenhower was still an active railyard.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali