Author Topic: Time to Demolish Former Courthouse Parking Lot?  (Read 68064 times)

FlaBoy

Re: Time to Demolish Former Courthouse Parking Lot?
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2017, 11:32:53 AM »
^Seems like a separate project (also expensive) that would need to be funded with different funding sources, possibly delaying the immediate need to replace the failing bridges. I think it would be good for the city to make a decision on if they want to move the convention center to this area or not before possibly tossing millions to demo.  If someone else wants to do something with the site, perhaps a deal can be worked out where the city doesn't have to pay for demolition, freeing its limited funds to go somewhere else.

For sure. That makes sense. Would you like to see a convention center at that location, a park, or just allow developers to have at it?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2017, 11:52:03 AM »
IMO, we have enough parks on land.  We could get a ton of more utilization out of them by properly investing and upgrading them.

As for this site, I'd like to see that uncovered section of the river become something more interactive, but that can happen regardless of what happens with the old courthouse and city hall annex buildings.

Personally, I think it makes all the sense in the world to add an exhibition hall (somewhere in the 100k to 150k square foot range with street level retail at ground level facing Bay and the river) to the Hyatt's existing meeting facilities and make the combined site the city's new convention center. 

We literally have a 1,000 room convention center hotel going to waste.  I'm willing to wager that most of our peer cities don't have anything close to a 1,000 room hotel in their downtowns. On any other site, you're not getting a 1,000 room hotel attached to it and anything that is attached to it, only competes against the existing subsidized public investment (Hyatt).
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

FlaBoy

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2017, 04:47:44 PM »
IMO, we have enough parks on land.  We could get a ton of more utilization out of them by properly investing and upgrading them.

As for this site, I'd like to see that uncovered section of the river become something more interactive, but that can happen regardless of what happens with the old courthouse and city hall annex buildings.

Personally, I think it makes all the sense in the world to add an exhibition hall (somewhere in the 100k to 150k square foot range with street level retail at ground level facing Bay and the river) to the Hyatt's existing meeting facilities and make the combined site the city's new convention center. 

We literally have a 1,000 room convention center hotel going to waste.  I'm willing to wager that most of our peer cities don't have anything close to a 1,000 room hotel in their downtowns. On any other site, you're not getting a 1,000 room hotel attached to it and anything that is attached to it, only competes against the existing subsidized public investment (Hyatt).

What about the garage and meeting space next door? I always thought they could retrofit that to add a lot more meeting space and they have a large swath of land there as well already connected to the Hotel.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2017, 06:34:34 PM »
IMO the time to do something is now while construction is in the process, if funding is an issue, try making the old site more attractive to a developer ie Khan or another local developer. Something more interactive for this site should have been already been planned. Once the city finishes this, it will take them at least 20 years before they think about making this site more interactive, then another 10 years before we see site renderings, 10 more years for construction starts. Also why don't we see our big business here in Jax like CXS, doing projects like Home Depot did in Atlanta?