Author Topic: Time to Demolish Former Courthouse Parking Lot?  (Read 68307 times)

coredumped

• Huge Member
Re: Time to Demolish Former Courthouse Parking Lot?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 11:19:59 AM »
Paddle boats would not be the best idea for this location, unless it was roped off. The current there is insane, not to mention there's quite a bit of traffic in the area, the speed limit doesn't go down to 25 until you get to the main street bridge, far too dangerous to be mixing w/paddle boats.
Jags season ticket holder.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 11:27:18 AM »
Yes, paddle boats would only work if you removed the two block parking lot on pilings north of Coastline Drive and somehow blocked it off a bit to separate it from the rest of the river.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

downtownbrown

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 11:38:13 AM »
I think it's possible to access the Berkman garage from the north and the south.

There is currently only one access to the garage.  It's off Liberty, but on dry land.

downtownbrown

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 03:09:29 PM »

downtownbrown

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 03:54:21 PM »
Judging from the engineering reports by FDOT over the years (structurally deficient, basically intolerable requiring high priority of corrective action), and the fact that the state just DECREASED funding for our 8 county district from $21 million to $18 million, it appears that the decision to demolish the bridges has been made. It's just going to require time and gravity to do the work.  In the meantime, the area will most likely remained closed to any sort of traffic.  The city will never accept that liability.

Get used to the crumbling eyesore.  I hope it doesn't make Khan change his mind about committing to this city.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 06:00:39 PM »
As I see it, as long as Berkman access was maintained (which is I think all on solid land), and Hyatt access is kept (I think it's doable), then dump it. The only other thing that might get sticky: there is a concrete slab at the river walk adjacent to the parking garage that was supposed to be a restaraunt-obviously never built. The value of whomever owns that land will certainly plummet. However, I think it's still probably doable.

downtownbrown

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 06:30:53 PM »
^ agree. And there may be no choice. I am stunned at the state budget for bridge repair.

Charles Hunter

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 07:05:07 PM »
And yet, driving home tonight, saw one of those huge tour buses parked next to the Hyatt on Newnan, within sight of the 3 TON LIMIT sign.  Bus was pointed away from the river, no way it could get there without driving on the weight limited bridges.  I'm betting those buses weigh more than 6,000 pounds.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 07:12:12 PM »
Market and Coastline Drive is moving. Look at the bricks...

Know Growth

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 07:58:37 PM »

Probably no alternative to removing the Deck. All of it.

Kayak excursions underneath (no more!  8) ) revealed structure decay everywhere-and even the farthest Southeasterly corner section underneath the town houses not without visual clues.

Somehow,we're destined to more open space.

downtownbrown

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 08:49:21 PM »
Market and Coastline Drive is moving. Look at the bricks...

PW has put sensors out to see if its still moving 

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 09:32:21 PM »
^ agree. And there may be no choice. I am stunned at the state budget for bridge repair.
Too busy building new roads all over the state. I imagine the $2 billion it will take to eventually build the First Coast Expressway would go a long way to fixing some of our existing infrastructure that's falling apart. Just wait till it's time to replace the Mathews. No one is saving up anything for that one.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Noone

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 05:53:17 AM »
Paddle boats would not be the best idea for this location, unless it was roped off. The current there is insane, not to mention there's quite a bit of traffic in the area, the speed limit doesn't go down to 25 until you get to the main street bridge, far too dangerous to be mixing w/paddle boats.

Paddle Boats would be great at Unity Plaza. it's not just a retention pond.

Anyone going to the 2/11/15 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting at 9am in council chambers. The water taxi contract is on the agenda. Paddle boat contract next.

When the weather breaks still plan on doing a RICO loop in some of the most restricted Waterways in the state of Florida.

I am Downtown and why you aren't

Who's next?

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 06:22:34 AM »
Too busy building new roads all over the state. I imagine the $2 billion it will take to eventually build the First Coast Expressway would go a long way to fixing some of our existing infrastructure that's falling apart. Just wait till it's time to replace the Mathews. No one is saving up anything for that one.

Other than getting hit by a boat it seems to be in pretty good shape, according to the inspection reports. Did they ever replace that one on Atlantic that was the worst rated bridge in the state for awhile?

downtownbrown

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 08:37:30 AM »
this topic ought to become a petition.