Author Topic: A Jacksonville-to-Tampa Expressway On Its Way?  (Read 26690 times)

tufsu1

Re: A Jacksonville-to-Tampa Expressway On Its Way?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 01:25:59 PM »
Doing an expressway from Jax to Tampa would kill countless gas stations along 301, as well as some restaurants.

Yeah, but it would open up thousands of acres of virgin soil to new gas stations, restaurants, strip malls and single family subdivisions.

check out the land holdings of Plum Creek....and their new sector plan....this reveals much.

plus, the folks in north Citrus County couldn't be more excited about enhanced connections to Tampa and Ocala!

For_F-L-O-R-I-D-A

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 08:09:01 PM »
Doing an expressway from Jax to Tampa would kill countless gas stations along 301, as well as some restaurants.

That is the reason we don't have a Starke bypass right now. A Starke bypass and the end of Lawtey would do the trick for the most part with some improvements on 301 but they will never happen because of the above thinking. They keep blocking it in Starke.

Build the toll road over the status quo there is now. Plus, the Suncoast really needs to be connected to 75 as a true alternative for getting to Tampa instead of getting off at 52 or 54.

southsider1015

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 11:32:41 PM »
LMAO at all the comments.  So typical of MJ.  Anyone actually read the report? 

If many of you were the decision makers, Florida would be untouched land.  Nothing but 2 lane rural roads everywhere.

Sure, I get that rail would be a great transportation mode for the state.  AAF is the answer, and without taxpayer risk.

301 is unsafe, slow, and is a terrible route for trucking.  Its a terrible commute that is only a decent option given its directness. 

Marle Brando

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 12:00:47 AM »
Will we ever move past being an auto-dependent auto-centric society? Catering to the automobile vs investing in mass transit systems..ie high speed rail, is just Florida's backwards thinking as usual. I fear we won't invest wisely until there arent even enought stretches of land available to even build highways, yet alone new rail. Less cars on the roadways saves money on so many levels it's insane to think how we build more roads that only add more cars, that feed the need for more roads. Ugh.

Know Growth

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 07:41:18 AM »
Recall the Governor Martinez era Jax/Tampa Toll Road proposal.

Quaint "NO TOLL ROAD!" bumper stickers.

Brannon/Chaffee (then dirt road,now key First Coast beltway component) was envisioned as the northern leg,the new roadway to cross Black Creek just west of Blanding Blvd and on it's meandering way from there.

Always,traffic "alleviation", meeting "projected" demands was the key headline,while development speculation surged.
Expanded development Vesting always occurs.
We can not manage to build such a roadway without the assumed development expansion.
Brannon/Chaffe and Lake Asbury #2 "Sector Plans",and St Johns County proceedings,all of which empowered the First Coast Beltway a classic case in point.( Lake Asbury Sector Plan #1 faced unexpected opposition to proposed beltway routing.......well....That Was Easy! ::) )

The Martinez era Jax Tampa Toll Road faced fierce and effective opposition in the Gainesville area. In response to opposition, public hearings shifted further east....further and further,until finally, Putnam County cheered the new concrete strip. Except the route was hardly Jax to "Tampa" at that point.  8)

It's a roughshod process for sure.Tick-Tack-Toe...........connecting the DOT. At some point,we might find a truly safe "Merge" Lane,or blessed Exit.

The DOT and proponents reference "Connectivity" in the face of another compelling "Connectivity" concept. The very concept of "Connectivity" was a part of a recent Constitutional Amendment that passed by a huge margin.
Note the emergence of the Osceola To Ocala Conservation Corridor ( O20)-basically a giant green hedge westerly of Jacksonville; "landscape scale"connectivity, linking National Forests, 'working' timber and agriculture lands,recreation,watershed, public lands,Northeast Florida Timberland Reserve.O2O recently further empowered thanks to Amendment One,which provides a level of guaranteed funding for the State's Conservation Lands program,fee simple acquisitions,easements.

O2O may not necessarily thwart Jax/Tamp 'connectivity' however routing would demand certain policy & design approach, likely including alignment with existing highways, less anticipated ancillary "Growth".
There are similar scenarios throughout the State- the O2O but one link in a Statewide Conservation Corridor placement.
A new era for DOT and a host of interests.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:38:56 AM by Know Growth »

GatorShane

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2015, 11:26:19 AM »
I for one would welcome this(probably in the minority) My question is what would the new highway be a 75 or a 95 spin off(i.e. I-295, I-275} or something else. Is 9B the start of I-795?  Rail would be much better with a connection to UF to make it easier to get to Gator games in Gainesville. I wish the powers that be in the FDOT would actually seriously think about rail from Jax to Tampa. SIGH!!

tufsu1

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2015, 02:25:52 PM »
301 is unsafe, slow, and is a terrible route for trucking.  Its a terrible commute that is only a decent option given its directness. 

and yet I make the 200 mile trip to Tampa in 180 minutes....how is that slow?

For_F-L-O-R-I-D-A

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2015, 06:04:37 PM »
Honestly, a Starke bypass would solve this problem and limiting development along 301. (Maybe get rid of Lawtey?)

Starke can take awhile to get through between 11-5:30 pm just due to the amount of trucks mixed with town traffic.

southsider1015

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2015, 08:41:23 PM »
Will we ever move past being an auto-dependent auto-centric society? Catering to the automobile vs investing in mass transit systems..ie high speed rail, is just Florida's backwards thinking as usual. I fear we won't invest wisely until there arent even enought stretches of land available to even build highways, yet alone new rail. Less cars on the roadways saves money on so many levels it's insane to think how we build more roads that only add more cars, that feed the need for more roads. Ugh.

Want the short answer?  Nope. But really, why is it such a problem to have automated electric cars, instead of combustible engines?  We're 5 to 10 years away from this, and we should invest billions into trying to change lifestyles developed over the last 100 years?   Again, nope.

I think urbanites have attempted to brainwash the rest of the country into believing that their personal lifestyle is the best for everyone else.

Me?  I want my yard, my landscaping, my car, my 15-20 commute, myafter hours silence, and all the other luxuries the at suburban life affords me.

tufsu1

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 09:25:47 PM »
^ and having that lifetsyle is fine...but us urbanites shouldn't have to be subjected to highways destroying our neighborhoods to satisfy that lifestyle.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2015, 09:44:42 PM »
I don't mind people living the urban, suburban or rural lifestyle. To each his own. Having the ability to make your own choice is one of the reasons this is a great country. However, choice should come with responsibility.  Problems (no matter what type of environment one prefers) tend to arise when people expect others to subsidize their preferred lifestyle for them.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2015, 10:10:50 PM »
Yeah, no offense, but that's one of the sillier comments in this discussion. If anything, the exact opposite is the truth: it's continually reinforced that the "suburban" lifestyle is the best, most desirable way to live, and that it's worth almost any cost to achieve.

In reality, there's plenty of room in this state for all types of lifestyles. But we shouldn't subsidize only one lifestyle and expect everyone to foot the bill.

And there's something of a false dichotomy here: you can have a yard, landscaping, a 20 minute commute and "quiet" fairly easily in an urban neighborhood.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2015, 11:17:03 PM »
Honestly, a Starke bypass would solve this problem and limiting development along 301. (Maybe get rid of Lawtey?)

Starke can take awhile to get through between 11-5:30 pm just due to the amount of trucks mixed with town traffic.

The $202 million Starke bypass is funded for construction in 2016.

more info: http://www.us301northflorida.com/sites/StarkeBypass/Pages/Home.aspx
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

spuwho

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2015, 11:49:39 PM »
I for one would welcome this(probably in the minority) My question is what would the new highway be a 75 or a 95 spin off(i.e. I-295, I-275} or something else. Is 9B the start of I-795?  Rail would be much better with a connection to UF to make it easier to get to Gator games in Gainesville. I wish the powers that be in the FDOT would actually seriously think about rail from Jax to Tampa. SIGH!!

There is no listing with AASHTO for this corridor. Since by definition it would be a point to point type of highway (as opposed to a bypass), and if FDOT wants it to have a federal road designation, it would probably be called Interstate 6.

There is a proposal to use the I-6 name for a planned road from Arcata, CA to Reno, NV to replace CA-299, but since it was proposed in 2012, it hasn't been funded. 

9B will be signed I-795 after they finish the intersection with I-95. Based on current plans it will end at St Johns Parkway & Russell Sampson Road.

I can't find any information if the First Coast Beltway/Tollway will get a AASHTO defined number. While it will connect both I-10 and I-95 eventually, Gov. Scott allocated several million in the 2015 FDOT budget for ROW acquisition between Blanding Blvd and I-95. They can't sign it an Interstate until its 2 terminus points are finished, so I would imagine it will stay FL-23 well past 2020.

If they are serious about a north extension of the beltway into Nassau County to Yulee, it would probably be I-495.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:56:36 PM by spuwho »

southsider1015

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 06:56:20 AM »
^ and having that lifetsyle is fine...but us urbanites shouldn't have to be subjected to highways destroying our neighborhoods to satisfy that lifestyle.

I don't follow.  Is this I-10 I-95 specific?