Author Topic: A Jacksonville-to-Tampa Expressway On Its Way?  (Read 27245 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
A Jacksonville-to-Tampa Expressway On Its Way?
« on: February 04, 2015, 03:00:03 AM »
A Jacksonville-to-Tampa Expressway On Its Way?

The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is on the lookout for adding additional highways to enhance statewide connectivity. This time, FDOT is gearing up to explore the feasibility of a Jacksonville-to-Tampa connection that would provide better accessibility to the Ocala and Gainesville areas as well.

Here are a few maps from the 2013 Tampa Bay to Northeast Florida Study Area Concept Report.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2015-feb-a-jacksonville-to-tampa-expressway-on-its-way

acme54321

Re: A Jacksonville-to-Tampa Expressway On Its Way?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 06:54:40 AM »
There is already an expressway from Tampa to Jax.  It's called 301.  Other than a few small towns that add at most 10 minutes to the drive it's haul ass from the north side of Ocala to Baldwin.  Don't like it?  Take I75 to I10.  I don't see the benefit of trashing the heart of N. Florida with another interstate or expressway.

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:01:08 AM »
Can we just rename FDOT to FDOP, Florida Department of Pavement? That's all they ever seem to do, regardless of need.
Jags season ticket holder.

Dog Walker

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 10:19:55 AM »
A friend who used to work for FDOT used to say that they agency's view of a mixed transportation system was half asphalt and half concrete.

There is absolutely no need for a Jacksonville to Tampa highway.
When all else fails hug the dog.

JohnnyK

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 10:49:05 AM »
I have to agree with the rest here we don't need more highways in Florida!  What is wrong with the highways we have now?  Why don't they add high-speed rail and get some folks off the highways?

johnnyliar

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:10:40 AM »
This just baffles me!
It's so easy to drive to Tampa already!!

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 11:12:57 AM »
Doing an expressway from Jax to Tampa would kill countless gas stations along 301, as well as some restaurants.
Jags season ticket holder.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 11:19:31 AM »
I really don't see the point in this. You can make it to Tampa in under 4 hours now, without the lexus lanes.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

dp8541

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 11:20:04 AM »
I have to agree with the rest here we don't need more highways in Florida!  What is wrong with the highways we have now?  Why don't they add high-speed rail and get some folks off the highways?

I am just back from a week in London (which I in no way intend to compare to Jax) and it is amazing how efficient the high speed rail system is there.  London to Paris or Brussels in around two hours (approximately 200-220 miles).

How nice would it be if Tampa (172 miles), Orlando (125 miles), or South FL (300-330) were 1.5-2.5 hour train ride away?

tufsu1

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »
I really don't see the point in this. You can make it to Tampa in under 4 hours now, without the lexus lanes.

sometimes in under 3 hours...made the trip from downtown Jax. to Westshore area today in 3:15...with a bathroom break and a drive-thru stop for breakfast.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »

I am just back from a week in London (which I in no way intend to compare to Jax) and it is amazing how efficient the high speed rail system is there.  London to Paris or Brussels in around two hours (approximately 200-220 miles).

How nice would it be if Tampa (172 miles), Orlando (125 miles), or South FL (300-330) were 1.5-2.5 hour train ride away?

but that would ruin future toll road revenue estimates....... :o
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 12:07:55 PM »
Doing an expressway from Jax to Tampa would kill countless gas stations along 301, as well as some restaurants.

Yeah, but it would open up thousands of acres of virgin soil to new gas stations, restaurants, strip malls and single family subdivisions.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »

Yeah, but it would open up thousands of acres of virgin soil to new gas stations, restaurants, strip malls and single family subdivisions.

Oh, Florida.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

spuwho

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 12:39:52 PM »
While it does align with Florida's propensity to build yet more roads, I think the driver was the volume of JAX-Tampa traffic that has to traverse the Orlando cooridor.

Looking at it myself, I only see 2 options.

Incremental enhancements to 301 from I-10 to I-75 in Ocala.

Or a new dedicated ROW off of the First Coast Beltway near Green Cove Springs reaching Ocala through Camp Blanding.

The rest seemed too intrusive or disruptive to existing land plans or provided little economy of direction over the alternatives.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 01:09:08 PM »
I have a client in Ocala and travel down there on a regular basis for a study I'm involved with. Outside of speed traps, the only place where congestion forces you to crawl is Starke.....especially during school arrival and departure periods.  However, there's a bypass already in the works to deal with that issue. The idea of an expressway between Tampa and Jax, or the Heartland Parkway into the South Central area of the state, seem like overkill to me. Especially considering we're "broke".