Author Topic: The Southbank Riverwalk  (Read 18484 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The Southbank Riverwalk
« on: May 27, 2008, 04:00:00 AM »
The Southbank Riverwalk

The Jake Godbold administration labeled the 1980’s as 'The Billion Dollar Decade' for downtown redevelopment.  One of the major projects planned and constructed during this era was the Southbank Riverwalk, which opened in 1985.  

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/content/view/799

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
Re: The Southbank Riverwalk
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:22:16 AM »
Interesting....Jax sure had some big thoughts back in 85. I always say Godbold was one of the best Jax had. Him and Delaney had vision IMO.

Lake you be digging your butt off man....Some of those spots I have never seen before. And ive been on that SouthBank walk many times...lol
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (HOT DAMMIT!) YES...SUPER TALLS!!!
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICE AGENCY
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 08:15:30 AM »
Yeah, "Jake the Snake" was good back then, but ah, what could have been!  You don't do a job halfway and leave it, you finish it.  I am not dissing Jake cause I liked him too (and his "good ole boys gang" back then), but he did let some things slip through the crack, that is, starting them and not seeing them through to completion.

Heights Unknown
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal/ or, access my Social Service national/world wide page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: http://www.freshstartsocialservices.com and thank you!!!

Pavers

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 08:29:12 AM »
Any idea what's up with the Amredo's cafe that's purportedly to open in the shops by the Wyndham?  That sign has been up for several months now.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 08:41:08 AM »
I'm not sure.  The sign looked to be pretty dated, but the interior work looked recent.  I know the hotel had kicked all the tenants out a few years back because they wanted to tear everything down for their failed condo project (San Marco Village).  I wish they would go ahead and re-lease them, because those condos won't be coming anytime soon.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 08:43:04 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

I-10east

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:16:59 AM »
Great tour Lake.

I have a feeling that if the entire Southside Riverwalk plan was built, it would've been just another thing that's overlooked and taken for granted in this city. Look at the Landing in 87'; that was supposed to be the "end all be all" to of Jax's downtown's problems, and IMO it was a far more substanial project than the entire Southbank riverwalk; Now outside of special events every blue moon, the Landing is basically forgotten. The aquarium would've been interesting, but any failure to expand likely could've cause people to be disinterested. As far as I'm concerned DT Jax already have plenty of lawns, seating etc at Metro Park. As for the additional restaurants, Crawdaddy's closed so no telling if they would've been around. Just my two cents.       
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:29:06 AM by I-10east »

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:21:49 AM »
 ^Saturday afternoon I went for a boat ride from Ortega though downtown gawking at all of the new buildings. We stopped for Ice cream at the landing and it was very busy.
Lenny Smash

I-10east

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 09:32:39 AM »
^^That sounds like a fun and relaxing afternoon. Was a special event being held at the Landing?

Charleston native

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 11:12:42 AM »
Seeing those pictures just gives me warm memories of when my family and I first toured downtown Jax around '89. I was a freshman in high school, and I remember thinking how scenic and fun it was on the Landing and Southbank. Arrrgghh!! Stuff like that makes me WANT to live there. I'm tired of being in landlocked Cola!!

vicupstate

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 02:02:28 PM »
Well, in '89 the Southbank Riverwalk was fresh and new, as was the Landing.  Unfortunately both are in need of a MAJOR remodel/renovation/freshening up.   Not likely to happen soon though.  You can add Friendship Fpuntain to that list too. 
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Charleston native

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 02:17:17 PM »
Vic, they probably need refurbishment and renovation, but from the photos, I have to say that the area is still a great asset. It looks in pretty good shape. Maybe you have some pretty high standards? Hey, that's a good thing, though! If it needs to be renovated to set a high standard of a quality downtown area, I'm all for it.

jeh1980

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 10:28:28 PM »
I think that the Riverwalk could sure use a nice coat of Thompson's Water Seal right about now :D! The Riverwalk is still a great way to see the downtown's Northbank, though.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 10:42:41 PM »
Here's an image of the western portion of the original Southbank Riverwalk plan.  As mentioned in the article, many focal points like the aquarium, Under-the-Bridge Cafe and the Great Lawn were never built. 

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

copperfiend

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 05:36:31 AM »
An aquarium makes too much sense for Jacksonville.

Charleston native

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 08:44:15 AM »
Does anybody think that in the future, some city leaders might step up and "finish" these original plans? Or is it too late to think optimistically for that?