Author Topic: The Southbank Riverwalk  (Read 18293 times)

copperfiend

Re: The Southbank Riverwalk
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 12:17:09 PM »
I doubt the plans would ever truly be finished. I would hope that an aquarium would be built in downtown Jax at some point maybe not in that exact spot. But I don't see the ampitheater happening there.

jeh1980

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 04:11:59 PM »
Does anybody think that in the future, some city leaders might step up and "finish" these original plans? Or is it too late to think optimistically for that?
We don't need to think that it's too late for ANYTHING! I think it would be awesome to finish those original plans within reason. 8)

Lunican

• The Jaxson
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 07:24:48 AM »
Let's upgrade riverwalk in time for 25th anniversary

By RON LITTLEPAGE
The Times-Union
May 30, 2008

The Southbank Riverwalk is showing its age.

The riverwalk opened with great fanfare in 1985 when Jake Godbold was mayor.

While a welcome amenity for the city, it has never quite lived up to its potential.

With commitment and creativity, we can change that. And why not get it done in time to commemorate the riverwalk's 25th anniversary in 2010?

Thursday morning was one of those nice late spring days when the sky is blue and the temperature still not too hot.

The river was smooth, and a group of manatees that passed by was an extra treat.

I met Mayor John Peyton on the Southbank to talk about various subjects, with one of them being the riverwalk.

The riverwalk's boards are cracked and uneven and dingy. The pavilions need work. I knew Peyton wants to improve the Southbank Riverwalk, and he reminded me that $15 million was in the capital projects budget to do that.

Peyton envisions vast improvements to the area around Friendship Fountain and bringing life back to the entire riverwalk. He doubts that $15 million will be enough to do that.

I made a suggestion:

Get the people of Jacksonville involved. Invite architects, engineers and builders to come up with designs and plans to make the Southbank Riverwalk the jewel it should be, pro bono, of course, as a gift to the city.

Have a contest to choose the winner and get people excited about what the riverwalk can become.

Full Article:
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/053008/opl_284245489.shtml

copperfiend

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 07:37:21 AM »
I hope Littlepage isn't holding his breath.

Charleston native

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 09:06:19 AM »
I have a problem with a contest for community input into this project--I know, it sounds bad to say that, but let me explain why I have a problem. Many times, whatever gets chosen as the winning design is often unimaginative and mediocre. Usually, whoever judges the entries has the final word of approval, and if the design isn't really conducive to satisfying the needs of the park, it will be changed or forgotten completely.

Why not use the original plans as a foundation for getting the park renovated by 2010? You might not get the ampitheater built, but maybe the aquarium plans can be revitalized. Get the fountain spouting water 150 feet high like it's supposed to. I would have more ideas, but I need to get back to work.

Driven1

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 09:20:49 AM »
life will not be brought "back to the riverwalk" until people actually live downtown.  littlepage never writes about this though.  how much of an environmentalist is he if he has to spend $10 in gas round trip to get downtown to the southbank?

vicupstate

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 09:57:40 AM »
Since these 'plans' were developed, both Charleston and Tampa have built Acquariums.   They are quite expensive to build and maintain.  Ticket prices push $20 per person.  After an initial novelty has worn off, it would probably struggle IMO.

The time to build an acquarium was then, the train has left the station on that idea.  A new, more original, attraction is needed. 

I also agree wholeheartedly that until people are living on the Southbank, that it will not reach it's potential.

Littlepage's comments echo my own that this area is looking tired and worn.   
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

Traveller

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 10:43:44 AM »
Any update on the Navy warship proposal?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 10:46:10 AM »
I agree with Charleston native, no new grand scale design competition is needed.  Don't make things more complicated and expensive then they need to be.  All we need to do is dust off the major theme of the old plan and revise a few components where necessary.  For example, an aquarium may be out of date, but a larger maritime, history museum or MOSH can take its place and still be a destination anchor for that general location.  

The Under-the-Bridge cafe may not make much sense, but a cafe in a revitalized park (with a great lawn and picnic facilities) around a fixed Friendship Fountain may be a more viable use.  So in the end, the same master plan is carried out, despite a few of the components being changed out for other reasons.

Also, we need to provide better access to the Southbank Riverwalk, especially around Riverplace Tower.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Gamblor

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 03:11:25 AM »
an aquarium may be out of date, but a larger maritime, history museum or MOSH can take its place and still be a destination anchor for that general location.

I've been seeing a lot cities putting in Museums of Technology and Industry recently. Part of me thinks MoTIs might be the next rage like aquariums were in the 90's. I maybe bias though as I've been addicted to tech since I was plopped in front of a black screen with green text back in the 80's. Also love that the ones I've attend seem extremely active in the community with regular, free to limited cost classes, and don't just serve as a place for a daylong field trip (though their good for that too)

Think of the companies and industries that be great to get involved and highlight too. CSX, Sally, Web.com, Northrop Grumans, Georgia Pacific, GE..........
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:24:59 AM by Gamblor »

Noone

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 12:23:53 AM »
12 hours out from the ribbon cutting ceremony for the NEW $17,000,000 Southbank Riverwalk 2014-190. Starts at 12 pm at Friendship Fountain. This is another significant piece of Jacksonville's history. Hope Ennis and Field and others can take lots of pictures and make it.

Noone

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 07:59:13 AM »
4 hours out from the ribbon cutting ceremony of the NEW Southbank Riverwalk. Anyone going? I can't wait.

Visit Jacksonville!

Noone

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2015, 06:37:38 PM »
Big discussion today at the 12/9/15 Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting on the Wreck of the Lady St. Johns. If not gone by Dec. Then will be on the agenda for the next meeting.

Noone

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 02:41:43 AM »
The Southbank Riverwalk 2014-190 at the DCPS building next to the JEA (District) 2015-777 property can have the Tom Ingram ADA Watercraft hand launch parking spot as a FIND (Florida Inland Navigation District) project. OUR property tax money. This project was voted on at the 11/20/15 FIND meeting of the Jacksonville Waterways Commission that took place on the 4 th floor of city hall.

The Governor of the state of Florida Rick Scott is aware of this positive project.
Beth Meyer Chief of disabled services at the 1/4/16 Finance meeting discussed this project with me in council chambers.
What is the position of the St. Johns Riverkeeper?
Have an email in to my District 4 Representative Scott Wilson for his support. Still waiting for an email back.
Tera Meeks told everyone at the 11/20/15 meeting that this project needs some help from our educational people on the Waterfront.

Next Jacksonville Waterways Commission meeting 5 days out. Open to the Public.

Visit Jacksonville!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 02:45:05 AM by Noone »

Noone

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 01:32:26 AM »
Had an email back from Scott Wilson my District 4 Jacksonville city council representative and wants to know if anyone else besides me would use this spot before he can make a decision. Good question.