Author Topic: Aldi plans Southside store  (Read 5066 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Aldi plans Southside store
« on: December 23, 2014, 02:48:17 PM »

Aldi, the international discount supermarket chain, intends to open a Jacksonville store in Southside Square near The Avenues mall.
The chain wants to renovate the former Circle K Furniture store, at 9041 Southside Blvd. next to Target. Plans filed with the city show the 21,025-square-foot store will be converted at a project cost of $900,000.

Aldi opened its first Northeast Florida store in October in St. Augustine. It also has filed plans for a store in Middleburg.

Full article: http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=544562
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

coredumped

• Huge Member
Re: Aldi plans Southside store
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 04:21:36 PM »
Competition is always good, unfortunately this is competing with low-end stores like WD & Save-a-lot.

I'd like to see harris-teeter come back, or something else to compete with Publix.
Jags season ticket holder.

CityLife

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 05:08:55 PM »
I've posted this before, but look for Aldi to open a lot more stores in NE Florida in the next few years. Believe I was told somewhere in the range of 15-20, but can't remember the exact amount.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 06:41:12 PM »
I'd like to see them open in some of our food deserts. They could help stabilize a few struggling neighborhoods.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

I-10east

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 06:54:28 PM »
I'd like to see harris-teeter come back, or something else to compete with Publix.

You always have Fernandina Beach for the highly marked up groceries at HT. I wouldn't hold breath on anything closer than that. 

pierre

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 09:28:01 PM »
Surprised by this location a bit. I thought they were more in lower income areas.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 09:31:33 AM »
Surprised by this location a bit. I thought they were more in lower income areas.

Aldi's expansion habits over the last few years has shifted to compete in sub-markets with middle market grocers (so it goes head to head with WalMart Neighborhood Market, Publix, etc). While it's still a private-label based deep discount grocer, it's basically a discounted version of Trader Joes (all private labels, and without the fancy shelves and displays). Their expansion lately is taking advantage of shifts in the spending habits of middle-income shoppers. Save-A-Lot, Shaws, Albertsons, etc are still on the Aldi category... but those stores continue to stay within their preferred demographics, where Aldi has been stepping into higher demographic sub-markets as of late.

The St Augustine store that opened recently is a pretty good example of this. It is situated within a mile of a Super Target, Wal Mart and Publix.

or something else to compete with Publix.

Earth Fare and Trader Joes has entered the market (with plans for more stores)... and Aldi is going to expand aggressively. All of these chains compete with Publix.

Additionally, Fresh Market has expanded... Whole Foods is looking to expand... WalMart Neighborhood Market is aggressively expanding... and even independent grocers like Native Sun are in expansion mode. Jacksonville is going to be a very hotly contested grocery market within the next two years.

On a side note, I just want to put in print that the first foray into the Jacksonville market by both Earth Fare and Aldi has been through Sleiman Enterprises. In fact, they also brought in many other chains into the Jax market since the great recession. Kinda contradicts the unfounded bashing they get, doesn't it?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:03:26 AM by fieldafm »

CityLife

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 11:17:44 AM »
I'd like to see them open in some of our food deserts. They could help stabilize a few struggling neighborhoods.

Here are their site locational criteria:

-Development lots or pads preferred – will purchase, lease or ground lease
-Lot size should be 2.0 acres or larger for development lots
-17,000+ square foot buildings with a minimum of 85 dedicated parking spaces
-Inline or end-cap space also considered - 118' frontage, 142' depth preferred
-Signalized, full-access intersection preferred
-Trade area population of 35,000+ within 3 miles, cities of 20,000+, counties of 40,000+
-Sites located in community and regional shopping districts with convenient access to population
-Sites zoned to allow grocery use

I was told their median household income requirements (in the 3 mile trade area) a few months ago, and can't remember exactly, but I believe it was around $45k a year. I remember being surprised at how high it is. Unfortunately, that might rule out some of the lower income areas with food deserts.

I wonder if Springfield/Downtown could pull off the numbers off though. I've always thought Aldi would be Springfield's best chance at a decent grocer. I talked to them a few years ago about it, but they weren't ready to expand into NE Fla yet. Perhaps someone in Springfield should re-open talks with them.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 03:39:05 PM »
You who are not familiar with the store, IT IS NOT WD OR SAV-A-LOT!

How to describe it?

Take a large Family Dollar Store and split it down the center, ½ is a house brand Costco food items and the other ½ is more like a micro-Costco consumer goods area minus the cosmetics and clothing. Great place to pick up the hotdogs, buns, mustard, a cheap bbq grill and a couple of beach toys for the kids on your way to the water. In this respect, they really have no apples to apples competition.

I've not purchased any of their house brand canned goods, but their chips are quite good and a fraction of the price of even Wal-Mart.