Author Topic: New Avondale Restaurant Proposed: Not Everyone Happy  (Read 65158 times)

Steve

• The Jaxson
Re: New Avondale Restaurant Proposed: Not Everyone Happy
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2019, 11:18:03 AM »
The thing about it I thought it was good not great, if that makes sense. Frankly, I think the Brick is that way too. The difference is....the Brick is sort of a place to "be seen", plus if one of the other restaurants are jammed it's a place to go on the square.

South really doesn't have that; it's a little off the path at Park and Dancy. Orsay doesn't have that same issue as Orsay is truly a destination restaurant. South was not. You do have good visibility down Dancy as it's a clear shot to the Shoppes from Roosevelt so something else can go in there.

Bottom line: I feel like Nocatee's gain is our gain. I'm totally cool with Nocatee getting the Urban Core's Sloppy Seconds.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2019, 11:23:09 AM »
Wow. That is another pretty high profile closing. We never went but I was under the impression it was highly regarded. If it sucked, that is one thing.

I think the Urban core might be a bit saturated at this point considering we haven’t exactly added a ton of density while the dining scene has exploded.

I think it has more to do with if the restaurant isn’t good or ran efficiently then consumers pick up on that and just stop going.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2019, 02:33:28 PM »
Huge startup overhead and just not enough people coming through the door to cover it would be my main guesses for the closing.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #138 on: November 21, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
I tried hard to like the place. A Chef that traveled all the way from Middleburg to be part of this supposed amazing new dining venture.Perhaps three visits and then no more interest for me. I liked the idea of bar area and other seating handy and open to the sidewalk,great for riding a bike to, but the street traffic was too close and loud.
I would not be surprised to see a major remodel with any new venture.
Perhaps what we need on that corner in “ South Avondale” is a seedy bar and some pool tables, busted front windows.

Kiva

« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2019, 06:32:58 PM »
I tried hard to like the place. A Chef that traveled all the way from Middleburg
That's all I need to know!

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2019, 10:09:09 AM »
I live a few blocks away and they seem to always have plenty of business.  There were a few items on the menu I liked but overall the food was just ok (general complaint too salty).  They had a nice sports bar area but the TVs were mounted so you had too look up to an uncomfortable degree and I'm 6'4" so I watched a few games there but prefer mellow or Fishwier Brewery to watch a game.  They did the area right by constructing such a nice building with dedicated parking that will not take long to fill.  If I were southern grounds I would call the audible right now before starting all of the construction at the Shops of Avondale.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:10:47 AM by JeffreyS »
Lenny Smash

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2019, 01:10:14 PM »
They did the area right by constructing such a nice building with dedicated parking that will not take long to fill.

And I think therein lies the rub.  The next owner will have a fraction of the amount of upfront, build-out costs that South had and will be able to make it with lesser business or a lower price point.

Honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the 'same' owners open it back up and focusing on the Taps concept that they currently have in Fleming Island.  Company 'B' can make $$ while Company 'A' takes all the losses.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Bill Hoff

« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2019, 03:37:24 PM »
This is an opportunity for COJ to help Hooters at The Landing relocate to Avondale. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2019, 06:04:54 PM »
If Hooters goes to Avondale, who's going to anchor Lot J's Live!?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bill Hoff

« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2019, 07:26:15 PM »

BW3's, of course!

tufsu1

« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2019, 02:44:21 PM »

BW3's, of course!

pretty sure neither is part of the plans :)

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2020, 08:55:09 PM »
Restaurant driven community angst and land use / zone episodes likely brought under control , at least for a time, due to current economic shift, Restaurant “ Gig” model crash.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2020, 11:36:45 PM »
Let’s see how they feel when the seat count needed for alcohol sales gets lowered to 50 seats.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2020, 09:09:32 AM »
Savvy restaurateurs have adapted to the recent circumstances and I think they will come out the other side better off.  1748 Bakehouse is one example that comes to mind.  I had heard of them prior to corona, but lately it seems everyone has been there.  Good marketing? Strategy pivot to survive?  Who knows.  it seems to be working though. 

Poor quality restaurants that probably deserved to die anyway will see an accelerated demise.  Hopefully the Applebees of Avondale will be the first to go.

Florida Power And Light

« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2020, 09:00:38 PM »
Past seemingly endless wave of Restaurant Concept land use and rezone consternation will subside, even if only an Appetizer.