Author Topic: Rupture in St. Johns River causes oil spill near downtown  (Read 1845 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Rupture in St. Johns River causes oil spill near downtown
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:32:31 PM »
Posted: Thursday, May 22nd, 2008 at 12:50 pm
Cleanup crews are dealing with an oil spill on the St. Johns River in Metro Park Marina after a JEA line was ruptured this morning in Jacksonville.

A dredge barge owned by Misener Marine was driving pylons into the river bottom when it struck a 6-inch thick power line owned by JEA that is filled with insulating oil and copper wire, the U.S. Coast Guard said. Crews have contained the spill and are using a skimming system to remove the oil from the water as it leaks from the cable.

JEA shut down the pumping station for the 3-mile cable. However, the 6,000 gallons of oil in the cable will have to be bled out before repairs are made, the Coast Guard said. But booming and skimming systems should prevent the oil from spreading to other parts of the river.

The Coast Guard, Florida Department of Environmental Protection and Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission have not received any reports of affected wildlife or significant environmental impact.

Jacksonville Pollution Control has been contracted to ensure the oil doesn’t spread and is cleaned up. It’s expected to take two days.

http://news.jacksonville.com/justin/2008/05/22/rupture-in-st-johns-river-causes-oil-spill-near-downtown/
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
Re: Rupture in St. Johns River causes oil spill near downtown
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 01:42:28 PM »
I guess they didn't "Call before they dug"....

Its a good think they didn't kill the power as well.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 01:51:12 PM »
I wonder how long it will be till the environmentalists to try and call this area a pristine wildlife refuge in which drilling cannot occur.    ;)

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 01:56:25 PM »
ANWR is even larger than that, and let's not forget the offshore oil that is available from many different points around the country.

Oil companies currently have enough profits to drill and refine...but environmentalist policy has essentially eliminated these abilities, at least for now.

And dont forget offshore drilling which would yield still more oil but which is banned in 90% of the country.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 01:58:58 PM »
Oil drilling techniques contribute negligible impact on wildlife, and in the case of the Alaskan pipeline, oil drilling has enhanced it; caribou and other wildlife thrive around the pipeline.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 02:10:35 PM »
Where are you going with that Lunican?

That line is an oil filled power line.  Not a crude oil pipeline.

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 02:13:28 PM »
Accidents happen.

gatorback

• “Know thyself.”
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 02:15:09 PM »
Did the parties involve have to take a piss test?  Maybe the were blown out their minds while they were at work.  Wouldn't be the first time a drunk caused an oil spill.
'As a sinner I am truly conscious of having often offended my Creator and I beg him to forgive me, but as a Queen and Sovereign, I am aware of no fault or offence for which I have to render account to anyone here below.'   Mary, queen of Scots to her jailer, Sir Amyas Paulet; October 1586