Author Topic: Bostwick Building to be Renamed the Cowford Chophouse  (Read 18888 times)

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
Re: Bostwick Building to be Renamed the Cowford Chophouse
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 11:28:12 AM »
"Pretty certain Klempf also bought the remaining ground floor space at Churchwell Lofts, the vacant space next to Olio. Not sure what the plan is for that venue, but it is a very nice space."

Work has been going on in this space for a week.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

Captain Zissou

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 02:59:21 PM »
^
Forking Amazing Restaurant's temporary office has, meanwhile, moved to 301 E. Bay Street to make way for the restaurant buildout.

From the Biz Journal, they moved their offices to this space temporarily.

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2016, 06:36:51 PM »
Looks like it's been delayed:
Work has halted on Cowford Chophouse downtown. The owners of the building-to-be would only say that they have parted ways with Elkins Construction, the company that’s been working on the old Bostwick Building on Bay Street for the past year.

Full article:
http://jacksonville.com/business/real-estate/2016-05-28/story/sunday-business-notebook-hold-prime-rib-chophouse-delayed#
Jags season ticket holder.

mtraininjax

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2016, 04:11:25 AM »
Everything Elkins has touched in town has turned to crap. Could be the influence from Auchter, could be that Elkins was sold recently, but that construction company has a great deal of issues, for sure!
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

MusicMan

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 05:31:53 PM »
Hard not to agree.  I keep laughing at Scotty Schwartz calling himself Chef/owner of BullBriar.  Will it ever open?  He should have bought Ninth and Main and could be the best loved restaurateur in Springfield. For several million less....................

UNFurbanist

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 05:48:04 PM »
I can understand the worry but I think it will be quite successful. There are very few rooftop opportunities in Jax and this will be one of the few with a great view! Also, with other venues next door like bold city's new spot, 1904, new underbelly operation (in the works), Myth down the street, etc. etc. I think there is room for hope. Does it need more? Yes, absolutely. But I can see the beginnings of a real entertainment district there at the elbow. Add a parklet or two along with a few new restaurants/bars and the area will really be in business.

To the point about the trio though. I totally agree. We need that project done yesterday!

marksjax

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 05:52:06 PM »
I am excited for the Chophouse to open. It will be a big plus for Downtown.
The only downside to us has been decidedly less foot traffic on East Bay Street.
This is, I think, a direct result of the sidewalk now being closed to pedestrians for several months now.
I am talking about the corner of Ocean & Bay.
Why wasn't a safe & secure covered walkway mandated by the city?
I mean they are now in the street with the construction boundary.
That's my only gripe but I'm not the only merchant being affected.

tufsu1

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 11:07:37 PM »
This is, I think, a direct result of the sidewalk now being closed to pedestrians for several months now.
I am talking about the corner of Ocean & Bay.
Why wasn't a safe & secure covered walkway mandated by the city?
I mean they are now in the street with the construction boundary.

I agree 100%.  I am very dismayed that the City allowed the sidewalk to be closed, forcing pedestrians out into the street.  I have asked several people and nobody knows how or why that happened.  Given the construction delay, the City should require the owner/contractor to remedy the situation immediately.

mtraininjax

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 09:04:41 AM »
I agree 100%.  I am very dismayed that the City allowed the sidewalk to be closed, forcing pedestrians out into the street.  I have asked several people and nobody knows how or why that happened.  Given the construction delay, the City should require the owner/contractor to remedy the situation immediately.

I never knew how difficult it was to cross the street and walk around the mess?
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

marksjax

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 09:48:43 AM »
It's a high traffic corner that has been made dangerous to pedestrians. You need to go look at it and watch it for awhile to grasp why that is so.
We are not talking about just a few feet of blockage. To navigate around it you should not be walking in the street. You are then vulnerable to being hit by a car. There is no 'corner' at Ocean & Bay anymore, it's become part of the construction debris.
And to do what you (mtrain) are suggesting safely would require one to essentially cross two streets then presumably a third time to get back on the side you started on. That's absurd.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 09:50:31 AM by marksjax »

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 10:03:45 AM »

I never knew how difficult it was to cross the street and walk around the mess?

It really is a PITA. Real cities require a pedestrian walkway.

marksjax

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »
I wonder if the public safety issue even comes up when these things are vetted & approved?
Do we even have a 'Risk Management' Department?

brainstormer

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2016, 08:02:09 PM »
Curry is holding up implementation of safe pedestrian walkways until you vote for his sales tax/pension plan. You better vote "Yes" or else...

KenFSU

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2016, 03:50:27 PM »
Cool article and galllery.

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2016/11/18/topping-off-ceremony-marks-major-cowford.html

All four walls are now standing on their own.

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2016, 05:29:29 PM »
They ran an ad at the last jags game. If it turns out like the images they showed, it's going to be a beautiful building.
Jags season ticket holder.