Author Topic: New Sidewalks For Philips Highway  (Read 6074 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
New Sidewalks For Philips Highway
« on: October 29, 2014, 12:00:01 AM »
New Sidewalks For Philips Highway

Philips Highway, a Southside roadway traditionally known for being dangerous to pedestrians and cyclist, is in the process of getting new sidewalks and bike lanes.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-oct-new-sidewalks-for-philips-highway

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: New Sidewalks For Philips Highway
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 09:26:36 AM »
Awesome!  This must be the first step towards a light rail line down the center of Philips...  8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

brainstormer

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 04:14:12 PM »
I too agree that these are much needed improvements. At the same time, I wish FDOT had a different approach to bike safety.  This could have been an opportunity to separate the bike lanes from the car lanes. The speed limit through most of this stretch is 45 mph, with most people going at least 50. Having a sidewalk double in width could have allowed for both bikes and pedestrians to safely share space, rather than putting the bike lane next to cars and semis speeding by. Phillips has a good deal of industrial and commercial traffic. I just don't think people feel safe with big trucks driving next to them.

lukeowens

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 05:23:18 PM »
I just thought it would be safer for the women of the night...well heck even during the day.

Dog Walker

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 10:56:08 AM »
Leigh Ann is good people, a hard worker.  It's good to see that she finally has a job that matches her talents and drive.  If she doesn't know something she will say so and go find out the information you need.
When all else fails hug the dog.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 11:14:40 AM »
This is much needed. You see people walking around down there all the time, and it's just going to become more as the development continues. And traffic is just going to keep getting more intense.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Buforddawg

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 07:53:44 PM »
I just thought it would be safer for the women of the night...well heck even during the day.

Dang beat me to it!