Author Topic: 10 Things Only People From Jacksonville Understand  (Read 12187 times)

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
Re: 10 Things Only People From Jacksonville Understand
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 08:54:31 PM »
"Jiffy Feet" and "Trailer Park legs".....lol

Know Growth

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 09:49:32 PM »

It is a great privilege to understand and experience all 10 subject headings...and then some!

Onward!

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 12:07:48 AM »
I don't think Jax can quite lay claim to the Summer + January as the only two seasons.  It gets cold in Jax, and there are almost 4 distinct seasons.

Really only South FL and coastal CA can lay claim to having two seasons, and nobody in the continental US has just one.  Coastal CA has far less temperature fluctuation over the year than anywhere else, and you notice more of a difference between if it's raining or dry/foggy in NorCal rather than the temperature itself (literally stays between 45/55 and 55/65 all year).  Makes east coasters really miss the NE, or people crave to "go all the way" with one temperature and move to SoCal where it's warmer/sunnier.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

WarDamJagFan

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 05:04:48 PM »
Yeah I agree we get a taste of all of the seasons. But there's definitely nothing wrong with being hot/warm 80% of the year.

David

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 09:37:38 PM »
I tried the chicken & waffles at Metro Diner because of this list.  Let me preface this by saying they make a good product, but how does anyone eat friend chicken for breakfast? haha that one is lost on me, too heavy for a first meal. Pretty good as leftovers though.

IrvAdams

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2014, 09:11:05 AM »
^^Here's a good Summer day in Jacksonville: buy a bucket of fried chicken, some cole slaw and potato salad, drinks; grab your cooler, some towels, blanket and umbrella, and head to the nearest beach. Enjoy. Repeat as often as desired.
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
- Lao Tzu

I like Jax

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2014, 03:01:15 PM »
I have been working in north Orlando suburbs for the past year. And most people here know nothing about Jacksonville. Except maybe that Blake Bortles plays for the jaguars. I have had people not even realize its right on the coast." There are beaches there"   And the obligatory " I heard there are lots of rednecks there"

They think it is all industrial. Realistically the north side of Orlando and Seminole county reminds me of Jacksonville quite a bit with more Puerto Ricans( no one infer any bias against la island Del encanto. I speak Spanish fluently and can pass for the child of Latin Americans with my accent. ) Although the traffic is much worse.

Orlando is like 2 different cities smashed together. The high growth sunbelt city meets vacationland .

Jacksonville in my mind is more "real" . if that makes sense. I do have to give credit to Orlando leaders who lobbied to have the Florida turnpike routed here and bringing companies like Martin Marietta in the 1960s. The leadership seems to be more focused on diversification of the economy beyond tourism. But Disney put this town on the world scene. Prior to 1970 Orlando was in the world view on the same level as Ocala