Author Topic: Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens  (Read 4311 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens
« on: September 18, 2014, 03:00:02 AM »
Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens

A look at Jacksonville's neighborhoods and special places through the eyes of Metro Jacksonville's photographer Andrew Nyhuis: Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-sep-jacksonville-arboretum-gardens

mbwright

Re: Jacksonville Arboretum & Gardens
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 08:29:03 AM »
It really is a beautiful place.

river4340

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 08:36:33 AM »
great place, especially since they've added so many more trails. We'll walk there often once the weather cools

IrvAdams

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 08:37:46 AM »
Been there many times. It's a beautiful walk in the park. There are a number of trails and you'd be surprised how different the terrain is on each one. There's a huge ravine (result of strip mining, I guess) , streams, a big lake and quite a variety of trees and shrubs, many faithfully described on informational markers.
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
- Lao Tzu

jaxlore

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 09:06:18 AM »
I've only been once but it was really nice and surprisingly cool in some areas.

CityLife

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 09:12:15 AM »
Been there many times. It's a beautiful walk in the park. There are a number of trails and you'd be surprised how different the terrain is on each one. There's a huge ravine (result of strip mining, I guess) , streams, a big lake and quite a variety of trees and shrubs, many faithfully described on informational markers.

^And that's just the southern portion of the park. As you go north towards the River, you go through beautiful Live Oaks into a more tropical setting with a scrub forest and marsh.

Does anyone know what the source of the streams is? The water is quite clear (other than the tannin) and looks like it bubbles up in spots. Is it spring fed?

river4340

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 09:15:15 AM »

that's really the key to it. the variety of habitats from the dry uplands of Rosemary Scrub to the lusher lowlands of Jones Creek and Aralia.

Jtetlak

• Jason Tetlak for City Council District 14
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »
My kids love this place, we go there often to have a picnic, walk the trails and count turtles. I highly recommend it to anyone that hasn't been there before.
It's time to move past being a city with potential, and become a city living up to it's potential.

judy40

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 10:06:58 AM »
It is truly a beautiful place to be. We've visited it twice but each time I've been fearful, that since there are no other people around,  we are vulnerable to any kind of attack. Maybe more people visit there on a daily basis, but a few years ago there was no one.   Does anyone else have those feelings or am I being foolish?

jaxcpa

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »
It is truly a beautiful place to be. We've visited it twice but each time I've been fearful, that since there are no other people around,  we are vulnerable to any kind of attack. Maybe more people visit there on a daily basis, but a few years ago there was no one.   Does anyone else have those feelings or am I being foolish?

No - I have been there several times and felt the same way. Maybe just paranoid and watch too many true crimes tv shows.

benfranklinbof

• Murray Hill Billy
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
I just went there and it was absolutely gorgeous! A true hidden gem of jax! I felt safe because I only saw families there.
Murray Hill Billy

CityLife

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 11:59:22 AM »
The southern portion of the park is very open and safe, but the Rosemary Ridge Trail is somewhat isolated and fairly dense with vegetation. I could definitely see how people would feel unsafe by themselves in some areas out there.

Arlingtondude

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 09:30:20 AM »
I have been going to the Arboretum for about five years and have never felt unsafe.

The Art of Nature celebration this past weekend was great.