Author Topic: Bring Home The USS Adams To Downtown Jacksonville  (Read 34173 times)

acme54321

Re: Bring Home The USS Adams To Downtown Jacksonville
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2017, 08:29:10 AM »
I've got the same concerns.  It costs tens of thousands of dollars a month to keep a ship like this afloat.  Let's be real, this isn't a high draw battleship or carrier, it wont even really be visible from the interstate.  Funding ongoing maintenance is going to be a constant struggle.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2017, 08:46:43 AM »
Yes, they'll need to get pretty creative with funding and generating revenue.  These types of attractions are hard to keep afloat without subsidies at some point.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Snufflee

« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2017, 12:42:55 PM »
Yes, they'll need to get pretty creative with funding and generating revenue.  These types of attractions are hard to keep afloat without subsidies at some point.

Subsidies that can run in the millions. These old ships are extremely expensive to maintain to allow for visitors to get a complete look at the ship. The issue with an old destroyer is that by itself will never be able to generate the needed revenue to be self sustaining, at least on an old CV you can use the spaces for a multitude of revenue generating events.
And so it goes

remc86007

« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2017, 01:12:12 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but is there any reason this thing actually needs to be floating? Couldn't cement be poured underneath it to create a dry dock of sorts?

Another solution could be "trading up" every 30 years or so; when this one becomes dangerous, tow it out to see and make it a fish habitat, then bring in a bigger, newer ship? It sounds cheaper than repairing the same ship over and over.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2017, 03:04:58 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but is there any reason this thing actually needs to be floating? Couldn't cement be poured underneath it to create a dry dock of sorts?

The ship is longer than a city block.  I suspect a real dry dock would cost pretty money and need to be maintained as well. If we paid for one of those, I'd rather it be used as a part of an active shipyard.

Or are you suggesting putting it on land or filling in the river? 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

acme54321

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2017, 05:11:49 PM »

Another solution could be "trading up" every 30 years or so; when this one becomes dangerous, tow it out to see and make it a fish habitat, then bring in a bigger, newer ship? It sounds cheaper than repairing the same ship over and over.

Either of those cost lots of money.  You can't just tow a derelict ship to sea and sink it.  This thing is almost 500' long.

The most probable scenario if the ship goes to shit is the Navy takes it back and sells it for scrap. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 05:14:38 PM by acme54321 »

civil42806

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2017, 08:03:41 PM »
I've got the same concerns.  It costs tens of thousands of dollars a month to keep a ship like this afloat.  Let's be real, this isn't a high draw battleship or carrier, it wont even really be visible from the interstate.  Funding ongoing maintenance is going to be a constant struggle.

"BINGO" its not a battleship or an aircraft carrier.  Most tourist will be taking I-295 around town so they won't see it.  The Alabama, is easily visiible from I-10 and US 90, it has the USS drum next to it, not to mention a nice collection of airplanes as well as a very nice park surrounding the area.  Plus when the causeway and tunnel are backed up in Mobile for miles its a nice place to take break and enjoy the view of the bay.

If its just the Uss Adams isolated by itself, its going to be a hard slog to make it successful.

Westside Guy

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2017, 08:54:33 PM »
While I'm excited for the project and will be there on opening day, I share everyone's concerns about the long term viability of the Adams here. We should have saved the Saratoga or the Kennedy. Those would have been much more effective in drawing people downtown and being self sufficient.

acme54321

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2017, 09:30:05 PM »
Now if they could berth the USS Florida next to the Adams when it's decommissioned that would be another story 8)

KenFSU

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2017, 10:15:44 PM »
Is federal funding an option? The U.S. military has a substantial public relations budget. Surely you could make the case that a floating naval museum in the heart of a Top 40 market would be good for community outreach and recruitment. What about sponsorship? [Company X] presents the USS Adams. Community First offered $250k to slap their name on a stage at Hemming Park, surely the Adams could beat that. What about private events? That bridge with that view would make for an amazing bar. I assume there would be a gift shop on-board, and you could sell USS Adams merch around the city with proceeds going to maintenance and operations.

Call me an optimist, but I think the Adams has the chance to be really successful in that location, a minor-game changer along the riverwalk even, if Shipyards development finally moves forward. If it's an isolated attraction though, I do worry.

KenFSU

« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »
All funding for the USS Adams has officially been secured.

The DIA is about to sign off on a 10-year lease at the Shipyards, with two additional 5-year options.

Could be here as early as January.

https://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2017/10/10/funding-for-uss-adams-secured-here-is-when-its.html

jaxjaguar

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2017, 03:57:50 PM »
Whaaaat!?!? That's awesome! 4 years later haha. The image in the article shows it parked outside of River City Brewing company and painted with Jaguars colors/graphics. Anyone know if that's where it'll be docked and if that color scheme is accurate?

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2017, 04:13:47 PM »
Whaaaat!?!? That's awesome! 4 years later haha. The image in the article shows it parked outside of River City Brewing company and painted with Jaguars colors/graphics. Anyone know if that's where it'll be docked and if that color scheme is accurate?
All creative license by the artist at this point.

KenFSU

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2017, 05:26:54 PM »

It's an old image that's been floating around for quite a while.

I think the original plan was to dock it in that area, before plans were changed to the Shipyards.

Iguana imagines the USS Adams being a key tenet of their new Veterans Park, which will take the place of the existing Metro Park.

Not sure how you house a floating museum in a desolate, heavily contaminated brownfield in the interim, but hopefully everything comes together.

Won't pretend to know a thing about the logistics of dry-docking, but if we're thinking Convention Center at the old Courthouse site, it would be kind of cool to see it docked in that new cove created by the demolition of Coastline. Conventioneers love their cocktail hours. How unique would it be to offer one on the deck of the USS Adams. It would also be a great Riverwalk feature a little closer to downtown.

Sincerely hope we aren't thinking of all of these things in a vacuum. We're talking a potentially 20-year commitment to a location. And location could make or break a difficult project like this.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2017, 06:47:10 PM »
I think the alcove you pointed out would be 1000x more successful in the near term future. It's much easier to access, doesn't require all of the hoops the ship yards will and as you said it's easier to host parties next to that massive hotel. My only concern short term would be easy & free/cheap parking.
In the alcove spot you could also tie it into the top to bottom tour and connect it with some sort of mosh tour/field trip.