Author Topic: Bring Home The USS Adams To Downtown Jacksonville  (Read 31455 times)

Fallen Buckeye

Re: Bring Home The USS Adams To Downtown Jacksonville
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2014, 02:34:57 AM »
Just took my sons with their cub scout pack to spend a weekend aboard the USS Yorktown in Charleston Harbor, and I have to say it impressed the heck out of me. They have actually have have 2 other historic ships moored there (USS Laffey and the USS Clamagore) near the foot of the Ravenal Bridge plus a replica Vietnam Camp and climbing wall. They also offer classes on the ships. Our pack took an oceanography class and several other were available. They gather all of the campers together at different points, and they were drawing groups from all over North and South Carolina and Georgia. It was just a well done operation. Although the USS Adams does not have quite as much historical significance as the Laffey or the Yorktown, it could be a fantastic addition to the downtown waterfront if done right. Here's the website for Charleston's ships:

http://www.patriotspoint.org/explore_museum/?gclid=CjkKEQjwodmdBRDm_ZLhorWm68UBEiQAKhO3_bQZ8bCjnTt-lrMVsfdJZLJi-OA53ax19TNU985rB7Lw_wcB

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2014, 12:57:02 PM »
If you listened to the video, the reporter mentioned lite up in teal for Jaguar night games, not sure how some of you got painted out of that, anyway I made a donation on the site. Hopefully this will happen

Spitfire

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2014, 10:47:17 PM »
This is the rendering that I am referring to:

USS Adams project sails closer to success

ronchamblin

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 12:30:04 AM »
Upon originally seeing the video, with the Adams apparently floodlight-bathed in teal, with the Jaguars on the side -- the thought occurred to me that someone might in the future actually suggest painting the ship teal -- thus my comment on my post ...

"Let’s hope that nobody goes Disneyesk and paints this ship teal.  What do the Jaguars have to do with this navy ship?"

.. which was intended to be a "hope" that nobody ever succeeded in doing so.  Sorry about my vague opinion, which gave to some the impression that somebody actually said it was to be painted teal.   

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 04:36:15 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it, next.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »
USS Adams could float into town as early as next spring

With the Jacksonville City Council signing off on leasing space to the USS Charles F. Adams, the former Navy warship could be in town as early as next spring.

“The Navy has told us it’s not a matter of if but when,” said Daniel Bean, president of the Jacksonville Historic Naval Ship Association.

Full article: http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2014/08/29/uss-adams-could-float-into-town-as-early-as-next.html
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

VanDeusen

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 09:00:13 AM »
Did the City Council approve leasing space at the shipyards specifically? It sounds like the Adams will be refurbished well ahead of any major development at the shipyards.

KenFSU

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 09:22:59 AM »
Did the City Council approve leasing space at the shipyards specifically? It sounds like the Adams will be refurbished well ahead of any major development at the shipyards.

Yes, the City Council approved the Jacksonville Historic Ship Association's lease agreement for the Shipyards, by the Maxwell House plant. From what I understand, Jacksonville should have the USS Adams in about six months, with refurbishment completed by the end of 2015. Once complete, the ship will offer tours and interactive exhibits, and will also be used to host dinners and for special event space. You're right, I can't see any major development of the Shipyards concluding prior to the opening of the naval museum.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 05:41:13 PM »
Museum ship advocates could get the USS Adams 'any day now'

The USS Adams could be in Jacksonville's possession "any day now."
In August, the City Council approved of turning the licensing of the ship over to the Downtown Investment Authority, so the proper representatives have the approval to run the ship and museum. It was the third time the council gave its blessing to bringing the ship here.

Joe Snowberger, CEO of the Jacksonville Historic Naval Ship Association, said his team is in talks with the Navy, waiting for the official disposition and transfer instructions for the donation of the ship, which should happen at any moment.

After that, the ship will go through some repairs in dry dock and will physically be in Jacksonville some time in the spring. After the ship — which is the last of its kind and was stationed in Mayport for 20 out of its 30-year career — is given to Jacksonville, it will go through some rehab and a makeover. It will cost $3.5 million to get the ship, tow it from its current location in Philadelphia and do the initial first phase rehab — money the association has already raised.

Snowberger said that by this time next year, the ship could be opened in its rudimentary museum phase.

Full article: http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2014/11/13/museum-ship-advocates-could-get-the-uss-adams-any.html
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jaxjaguar

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2015, 09:42:15 AM »
The Landing is about to lose another tenant... Though I feel this would be a good one to save / connect with the USS Adams. Do we have any updates on when the ship will actually be downtown? I'd hate to see this museum close and never come back due to delays of another similar project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/blog/morning-edition/2015/04/maritime-museum-may-be-forced-to-close-amidst.html

KenFSU

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 11:22:46 AM »
Sounds like this might take more than originally thought:

http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=547335

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »
Hmm, remember the days when it was said no public assistance would be needed?

Noone

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2016, 10:06:08 PM »
Hmm, remember the days when it was said no public assistance would be needed?

+1

ronchamblin

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 09:03:03 AM »
On an earlier post of a year or two ago … wrapped around a short rant about the MIC and militarism in general, I mentioned how the USS Adams could bring some great positives to downtown, especially as a real-life environment wherein knowledge for the young and old would be available and conveyed; knowledge about solid technology related to systems designed to achieve the full range of a ship’s purpose.

Being a former technical writer on military equipment … radar …. Aircraft instruments etc, -- where my objective was to show technicians system details, schematics, theory of operations, disassembly, troubleshooting, calibration etc, I am going to offer my time (I’ve donate a fair dollar sum already to the Adams project … along with the great Bernie Sanders  ;D ) to assist in designing presentations, including actual cutaways when practical, so that the observer can discover the exact purpose of the system at hand, what is required at its output, what is first at the input, and how the first data is maneuvered, with additional inputs and machinations, to achieve the desired output.

Each system or subsystem on a ship or aircraft has a distinct and profound purpose or objective … in general, via various inputs and an output.  The USS Adams will be a great method to convey to the inquiring mind, especially the minds of the young, that there is order in the universe, and that all one must do so as to perceive and feel the confidence delivered by that perceived order, is to begin to understand the purpose of a system, the essence of its beginning … the path of the energy through it, and how that energy is shaped to achieve the desired output.

Wherever actual physical cutaways are not practical, well designed graphic flows and cutaways could be displayed adjacent to a system, showing the dynamics of the system at hand. 

I invite and encourage this kind of conveyance of knowledge because I am amazed at the technical ignorance (not necessarily a bad thing) of so many adult men … men who might be highly intelligent mathematicians, bankers, attorneys, or computer IT experts … men (and the young) who don’t know how to think about the kind of systems on a large military ship, or any large piece of equipment or vehicle.  Realizing how each field of interest has its language -- mathematics, the computer realm, finance, law, etc -- to be condescending to anyone simply because they have chosen not to learn a language, is unnecessary, unfair, and fruitless.  After all, we all choose the languages we wish to learn, ignoring the ones of less interest to us. 

I am simply saying that the USS Adams would be a great vehicle through which the young and the old could have an opportunity to learn a new language … the language describing military systems designed to perceive, control, navigate, respond, maintain, and destroy.   

The primary achievement of engaging this “teaching” opportunity of the Adams would be that it would convey to the young -- practical and real-time information on how any system is not mysterious and unknowable, as it might at first seem, and that most can be brought to understanding by proper and patient engagements with the realities of it.  The instructional aspect of the Adams could succeed in eliminating or removing some of the bewildered state of mind, as found in many of the young … giving them glimpses of the fact that there “is” order in the universe, so that slowly, a feeling of confidence would creep upon that of bewilderment.   

Gotta get to work.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:05:32 AM by ronchamblin »

Dapperdan

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2016, 09:45:15 AM »
Quick question. What happens to floating museums like this, that I assume have no power on their own, when storms come in. I would think a  tropical storm or hurricane would batter the ship to pieces against a dock.