Author Topic: Could/Would Jax support a new EDM venue?  (Read 4752 times)

marty904

Could/Would Jax support a new EDM venue?
« on: May 24, 2014, 08:32:37 AM »
Having recently moved here to Jax, form the Orlando area, I am very surprised by the nightlife scene here.  I've looked back in time and it seems that there used to be a pretty good Electronic Dance Music (EDM) scene here in Jax but now, outside of Pure, it seems that the EDM scene has all but vanished from the area.

So, I am curious... if someone was to open a new (upscale) EDM venue, in or near downtown, would Jax support it?  I can't believe that the people that once loved the EDM music scene here in Jax have all left or just stopped liking the music.  So, I am curious to see everyone's response on here about why the EDM scene died and if a new venue was to open, would people support it.

Annnnnnnnd GO!

David

Re: Could/Would Jax support a new EDM venue?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 02:55:31 PM »
I used to frequent a lot of those EDM venues, I  suppose the constant raids by police scared a lot of people off, especially if you weren't involved with the reason why they were raiding the place in the first place.  Most of the venues in town got a bad rep and people stopped going.

Maybe a more controlled venue, upscale as you said would fly here. I definitely miss hearing that genre.

I-10east

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 10:50:47 PM »
Is it me, or does modern Electronic Dance Music sound very monotonous? It doesn't use to be that way IMO (around 2000). EDM party scene rarely have any violence shootings etc, like say hiphop (I love rap, but just telling it like it is) mainly people having a great time partying with the obvious drug culture that goes hand and hand with EDM. The police are often overzealous within the EDM scene knowing that they can easily drug bust somebody, depending on how liberal your city is I guess.

marty904

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 08:25:38 AM »
I wouldn't say that EDM across the board has become monotonous. There are so many sub-genres of EDM now. However, if you listen to Deep House or Tech House, then yes I would agree.  I love EDM but some of Deep/Tech House sounds like the same song has played for an hour.

And yes, I agree too about the violence.  There is almost never fights or problems like that at EDM clubs. But I guess like you said, if the city looks at the patrons stereotypically and launches a campaign to have the police constantly try to "score" from what they perceive as "good hunting grounds" for drug busts, then come the raids.

So David, you think that if an upscale (not your typical glow stick rave) venue was opened here that people would support it and there are still enough people in Jax that are dying for a good "dance venue"? I'm hoping that is the consensus...

I-10east

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 03:35:59 PM »
^^^Right on, you sound much more knowledgeable about EDM genres than I. I remember when Daniel Tosh said this on a 'Web Redemption' bit "If you can tell the difference between Electro House, Trance, and Dubstep, it's time to check into rehab". Had me rolling LOL. It does get kinda confusing with all of those genres, although dubstep stands out IMO.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiz9uFQ3pJs

This dubstep Key & Peele bit is also very funny. www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kod1q39ddE :)

SuZi-Rok

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 01:11:09 AM »
Maybe. The only way to know is to try it. Book good shows, have good drink specials, and right people helping out with promotions. Also, depends on location. I would support it if I can get out. I'm also a DJ and probably would want to dj that kind of venue for the type of music I spin.

I made this tonight.
https://soundcloud.com/suzi-rok/march-2015-indie-electronic-mix