Author Topic: GO Magazine, 1989. Jax Indie Newspaper from Springfield  (Read 3909 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
GO Magazine, 1989. Jax Indie Newspaper from Springfield
« on: May 23, 2014, 02:15:02 PM »
GO Magazine, 1989. Jax Indie Newspaper from Springfield

For the closing years of the 1980s, Jacksonville's indie and cultural coverage was provided by Go Magazine, published by Lee Haack from the Go! Mansion on Laura Street.  This is a scan provided by Lee for republication here, and its full of interesting insights and coverage!  Join us after the Jump for more!

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-may-go-magazine-1989-jax-indie-newspaper-from-springfield

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

Re: GO Magazine, 1989. Jax Indie Newspaper from Springfield
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 02:19:33 PM »
Was the Mansion on Laura Street the same place as THE PINK PALACE with the three Rolls Royces and legendary parties?   

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 02:23:11 PM »
"Jacksonville has done a terrible job of keeping some sense of continuity in the history of its alternative, independent and cultural communities.

Nowhere is this more apparent than in the arts and music community, especially the long tradition of Jacksonville's bohemian culture."

You are so right.    Thanks for reintroducing us to our collective history and helping to install a pride of place.

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »
I've heard various stories about the Pink Palace during the 1980s.  Would be great if MetroJacksonville could do an article focused on the Pink Palace.  Many people who made that place a legend are no longer with us so I hope that we can document before we lose too many more. 

Would be nice to have first hand experience and facts of what went on there.

Could also print the lengends where it probably happened but people who were there differ on their experiences or they were in the dinningroom when the action was happening in the kitchen or they were not there that night when epic events happened in the third floor "ballroom".

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 04:38:42 PM »
What was the Art Center at 700 Broad Street?
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

ocbill2015

OP Club 640 W Bay St Jacksonville
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 02:34:05 PM »
The OP Club was located at 640 W Bay St in Jacksonville. Does anyone have any photos of the building exterior or the club interior? I remember there was a balcony that overlooked the dance floor, but I think it was closed at the time for safety reasons. I think I was there around 1983. Did it change names or just close? When did they officially cease operating and when was the building torn down, anyone know? I knew Monroe Midyette. Bill

Well, in memory a lot of attention has been given to the salacious nature of the orgies and parties, but there was a lot of other stuff that happened there as well.  Don Strickland, the manager of the OP Club on Riverside Avenue (and the first employee of Monroe Midyette) was also terribly concerned about creating artistic venue and pushed a lot of money into the underground arts scene.  When he was at a Pink Palace, there was always something cool happening as well.  Lots of cocaine and booze naturally, but also piano players, singers, vocalists, writers and painters.

I wish you could have met the fairly iconic Jon Reich, the biggest superstar artist of the era locally.  Conversation was very very clever and since there was no other venue to hear cultural discussion or anywhere to post things online, the degree of interest given to conversation at the parties made for better evenings.