Author Topic: Springfield’s 2014 Home & Garden Tour (and Bike Tour!)  (Read 4280 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Springfield’s 2014 Home & Garden Tour (and Bike Tour!)
« on: May 15, 2014, 07:00:01 AM »
Springfield’s 2014 Home & Garden Tour (and Bike Tour!)

This weekend, witness the transformation of Jacksonville’s oldest neighborhood first hand, at the 36th Annual Historic Springfield Home Tour (and Bike Tour)!

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-may-springfields-2014-home-garden-tour-and-bike-tour

jaxlore

man
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:34:41 AM »
Man look at that before and after. Makes you shed a tear for all the ones that have been flattened.

simms3

• Time has come
subject
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »
For the before and after, what part of the original house remains besides perhaps the foundation?  I'm no architect or builder, but to my naked eye it doesn't actually appear to be the same house/fixer upper, but rather basically a new house.

Also, what was the cost?
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

simms3

• Time has come
subject!?!?!?!?!?
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 11:20:24 AM »
I still cannot believe that.  The wood looks very different between the two houses, a porch was created where there was none, the columns for the porch hark back to the original columns by the original door, the foundation appears like it may be slightly different (certainly it was at least extended by the porch).  I think it looks great, but what percentage of the original house is there?  The original house honestly doesn't even seem worth saving...perhaps re-using some of the wood and features, but that old house was a hunk of junk imo.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

mtraininjax

Re: Springfield’s 2014 Home & Garden Tour (and Bike Tour!)
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 11:48:42 AM »
Should be nice weather. A great neighborhood, worthy of reflection. Could be great again down Main Street, just need some small businesses willing to take a leap of faith, then residents to support it!
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 02:47:45 PM »
Springfield has so much potential.  I love Murray Hill but if I had to move to any other neighborhood, it would be Springfield.

Bill Hoff

Re: subject!?!?!?!?!?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 02:55:56 PM »
I still cannot believe that.

You should see the photos from the back of the house....it looked like a Haitian shack.

But, my favorite venue on the tour is this one, which just won a 2014 preservation award. Haven't been inside yet, should be awesome.

sheclown

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 05:09:24 PM »
What a great time I had at the tour.  It was fun to be in the first house and hear people talk about it (considering they didn't know we were the ones who worked on it.)  The Balkmans are such a terrific couple to work for -- their taste is exquisite and then with Renee's cool vibe...  Well, all I can say is -- it was really something to walk through it as a finished and polished project.

We took some of our workers and their families with us so they could see the houses.  It made them proud to hear the compliments.

I also enjoyed seeing the work undertaken by Terrawise.  That is such a great house that they are renovating.  I love the center staircase.  There are so few homes in Springfield with that feature.  The floor plans in view gave tour guests the chance to feel involved in the renovation process -- cool idea.  Dave Schater is always gracious that way. 

It was worth the walk to John Well's new construction to see the progress on his bungalow and enjoy one of his bear hugs. I'm sure someone on the tour will buy his house before the day is through.  I hope so, I want to see him build on every vacant lot of his.  Fill the place with cute houses.

Rob and Susan's bungalow is like nothing I've ever seen.  When I was last in this house, it was gutted.  The transformation into the current space is quite simply a work of art. 

Rob is an exacting craftsman of the finest quality and as he speaks of Susan "she is the best stripper around."  Not a fleck of paint left in any crack or crevice.

So much to say about the tour.  The houses showed beautifully what preservation is all about. 

Congrats to you SPAR!  A great job all around.

strider

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 08:21:08 PM »
I still cannot believe that.  The wood looks very different between the two houses, a porch was created where there was none, the columns for the porch hark back to the original columns by the original door, the foundation appears like it may be slightly different (certainly it was at least extended by the porch).  I think it looks great, but what percentage of the original house is there?  The original house honestly doesn't even seem worth saving...perhaps re-using some of the wood and features, but that old house was a hunk of junk imo.

The beauty of these old houses is the wonder one feels when they get transformed.  The exterior look of the house you are talking about is today very much like it was when built, except for the addition of the dormer to facilitate the transformation from one story attic to a loft like second story.  The interior trim is all original, painstakingly stripped and refinished.  A lot of the extras they added were from reclaimed wood, much from demolished houses in Springfield. In this case, the floors are all new.  The owners do this for a living and this was a labor of love of these old houses.  No price can be put on what they accomplished. No matter if they sell it and no matter what it sells for, they will never make money on it.  But that was not the point of doing it.

You may feel they went too far, but it is truly a work of art and they deserve to be commended for it.

Overall, the tour was well done.  Of course, my favorite is 55 East 3rd, but I am a bit prejudiced towards it.
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 10:33:37 PM »
It's the same house, simms3. I looked at it in the before state and later while they were rehabbing it. The dormer windows in the attic had been removed at some point, but an historical picture showed them, allowing the owners to put them back as they had been historically. And the stairs to the attic were added, but the rest of  the house was there. All of it. Rob and Susan did what we were calling, not a restoration, but a work of art. They poured their hearts and souls into that little bungalow to show what could be done if one desired.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 07:40:08 AM »
Here's a pictorial of the last month's Home Tour & Bike Tour.

http://www.myspringfield.org/news/event/78-a-showcase-weekend-for-springfield

And here's a snap shot:

Bill Hoff

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 09:00:55 AM »
Got a message about the house that looks like a wreck in the photos - no, it's not a mistake. : )

It was meant to be on the tour to showcase a renovation in progress. It'll have solar panels and other energy efficient materials in an attempt to make it 'net-zero'.