Author Topic: Exploring Chattanooga Vanguard Style  (Read 2386 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Exploring Chattanooga Vanguard Style
« on: May 01, 2014, 03:00:02 AM »
Exploring Chattanooga Vanguard Style

Can Jacksonville learn anything from a smaller Sunbelt city? Metro Jacksonville's Ennis Davis answers this an more by sharing his experience at last week's Next City 2014 Vanguard Conference.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-may-exploring-chattanooga-vanguard-style

Noone

Re: Exploring Chattanooga Vanguard Style
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 06:04:10 AM »
Congratulations Ennis and Mike. Great work. Nice pic on the kayaking. Tides are looking real good for Downtown Jacksonville this week.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 07:03:44 AM »
Looks like you guys had a productive and enjoyable trip!  I was able to spend some time in Chattanooga a few years ago and fell in love.  The city still has plenty of work to do but it certainly has come a long ways.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

tufsu1

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »
Sounds like a great conference....made even more awesome by the participation of you and Mike...congrats!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 01:22:32 PM »
Great conference indeed. However, I can't stress enough about the little things that Chattanooga exceeds at that we don't.  Everybody likes big, sexy, headline grabbing projects but the success Chattanooga has accomplished has a lot to do with finding a way to appeal to the pedestrian.  A few things not really shown in the article:

1. Parking garages - you would not know these were garages unless you looked up

2. Shade Trees - I know we love our palm trees but their use of shade trees makes it easier to walk past blocks of surface parking.

3. Flex Green Space - Remember when the Peyton administration wanted flex space at Metropolitan Park?  That was a good idea but a bad location. Jacksonville's urban waterfront could really benefit from a centralized green space designed for a variety of recreational uses.

4. Design Guidelines - Jax has historically been a push over when it comes to standing up for good urban design guidelines. Chattanooga proves that the chains can even place suburban boxes into urban footprints when a community demands more than the least common dominator.

^Their Hampton Inn is completely different from ours in the Southbank.

Chili's Restaurant is the same one would find off an interchange highway but it at least comes up to the street.

Same thing applies to their downtown Noodles.

Same goes for Buffalo Wild Wings.

5. Bike Share - Chattanooga has bike share and they have less bike infrastructure in their urban core than we do.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 01:26:47 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 01:37:03 PM »
Chattanooga is one of my favorite little towns.  The North Shore is pretty cool, too.  Warehouse Row that you mentioned also attracts nationals...I know of a few that are in leases with that ownership, and the office space in that building commands the highest rents in the city.

At one point in my life I was exposed to their downtown development authority type groups and advocacy groups.  A lot of what you see in Chattanooga is backed by a family trust controlled by a local billionaire.  For the Dianes out there, Chattanooga has a Rummell on steroids, except if I recall it's an heiress or widower to a fortune and the head of the downtown group backed by this trust that essentially controls both real estate and non-profit groups there is also a woman (met her).  I can't remember how it all works precisely because I'm so far removed from my time there, but it was interesting working there and of course visiting.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 01:41:18 PM »
^Yes, they are bankrolled by a few local foundations. From what I understand, their bike share system didn't cost the taxpayers a dime.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fsquid

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 02:38:54 PM »
Place was an absolute craphole in the mid-90s and when I went back in 2009, I was floored by what it had become. 

Scrub Palmetto

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 01:12:40 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experience and photos! It's a beautiful city. I miss going through there on my drives back and forth between Missouri and Florida the first few years I lived here with a car. I never saw Nooga before its rejuvenation, but as it is, I would live there in a heartbeat. Imagine hearing people say that about Jax.