Author Topic: Guerilla Gardening  (Read 3021 times)

stephendare

Guerilla Gardening
« on: April 30, 2008, 02:57:36 PM »
We could use a whole lot more of this stuff.

http://www.guerrillagardening.org/

stephenc

Re: Guerilla Gardening
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 05:21:46 PM »
You know, this is a pretty good idea, but I didnt see anything mentioned about mantaining the gardens. Whats the point of all the work if it goes back to pot after a few months?

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 01:47:58 PM »
Once just after high school when Boone parks playground mostly consisted of concrete animals that all needed new paint badly, about fifteen of us just went and painted them people looked at us like we were vandals at first and then moved on.  We thought we saved the world.  Something like these gardeners do is just great.
Lenny Smash

jacksonvilleconfidential

• Jacksonville Confidential
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 07:17:03 PM »
Once just after high school when Boone parks playground mostly consisted of concrete animals that all needed new paint badly, about fifteen of us just went and painted them people looked at us like we were vandals at first and then moved on.  We thought we saved the world.  Something like these gardeners do is just great.

The gardens are a fantastic idea, the trick is to make people realize how much money they save, how they can control what fertilizers and pesticides are used on their food, and the pleasure they get from actually eating the "fruits of their labor".
I have a very small garden in my back yard with Tomatoes, Squashes, Okra, Assorted Peppers and a lot of herbs; and the pleasure it brings me to use stuff that I grow is immense.
Sarcastic and Mean Spirited

civil42806

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 09:33:43 PM »
The parks are a sore point for me, the city loves to open new ones, hates to maintain them after they are built.  A couple of years ago I tried to resurrect the Rose garden opposite the willow branch park.  Planted about 20 new rose plants, had to bring water in.  City couldn't get the sprinkler system repaired.  What killed it for me was the mindless vandalism.  Second year the new roses were doing great.  The few older bushes were starting to come back.  The new plants were doing well, full of new blooms.  Next week i came out to give a fungicide spray, someone had came through and pinched off every bud and dropped it on the ground and to make sure I got the point, had pulled up some of the plants.  At that point I decided that my own roses deserved the attention, and gave up.

jacksonvilleconfidential

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 10:30:49 AM »
The parks are a sore point for me, the city loves to open new ones, hates to maintain them after they are built.  A couple of years ago I tried to resurrect the Rose garden opposite the willow branch park.  Planted about 20 new rose plants, had to bring water in.  City couldn't get the sprinkler system repaired.  What killed it for me was the mindless vandalism.  Second year the new roses were doing great.  The few older bushes were starting to come back.  The new plants were doing well, full of new blooms.  Next week i came out to give a fungicide spray, someone had came through and pinched off every bud and dropped it on the ground and to make sure I got the point, had pulled up some of the plants.  At that point I decided that my own roses deserved the attention, and gave up.

I remember this and was so glad to see someone trying to revive it and wondered what had happened the last time. I dont get why people have to fuck with shit!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 12:54:59 PM »

this borders on the Monstrous.

why would any reasonably constituted person do this?

It must be someone with grave botanical issues.   I have always loved the Rose Garden over there.  It seemed to work best when all the neighbors were sharing the duties.

It must be someone with grave botanical issues.
:D :D
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

jacksonvilleconfidential

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 01:05:07 PM »
Those damned WHORE-ticulturists

jacksonvilleconfidential

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 01:15:53 PM »
Hahahaha, thanks Stephen

kellypope

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 03:02:02 AM »
Thought I'd share this--a town in England actually gets behind its guerilla gardeners, who plant edible things for the community.

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/10/17/eco.urbangardening/index.html
Have you called Councilman Warren Jones to thank him for sponsoring the human rights bill? Do it now! Super quick and easy--plus, it feels better than leaving angry messages with bad guys. Call his office at (904) 630-1395