Author Topic: Lost Jacksonville: Times Square  (Read 14342 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Lost Jacksonville: Times Square
« on: April 22, 2014, 03:00:02 AM »
Lost Jacksonville: Times Square

San Marco would not be what it is today without the unique ambiance and sense of place of San Marco Square. Unfortunately, Jacksonville's true identity and heritage is in danger of being lost forever as time continues to move on. With that in mind, here is a brief look back at the rise and abrupt fall of San Marco Square's Atlantic Boulevard counterpart: Times Square.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-apr-lost-jacksonville-times-square

Noone

Re: Lost Jacksonville: Times Square
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 04:16:55 AM »
Thanks again for the history lesson.
LOST Jacksonville!
Can't wait for my autographed copy.
Jacksonville city council meeting tonight.
2014-190 is ready for a Jacksonville city council vote.
Can't wait to share that with the commissioners of FIND.

billy

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 07:54:18 AM »
Great article.
So the Times Square Hardware on University (now demolished),
was not the original location?

What is the "Yellow Monster" referred to in the article?
Looking forward to the book.

acme54321

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 08:05:05 AM »

The original Acosta bridge.

jaxlore

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:05:15 AM »
very cool.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 09:36:21 AM »
This is sad. If the area still stood, it would be only a half mile from my house. Fortunately I still have the st nick town center area, for now.

pierre

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 09:44:40 AM »
I echo the last two comments.

Cool and sad.

And like alot of things, Jacksonville is a city with a lot of "could have" and "should have". This is another example.

I appreciate all the historical articles written on this site. But damn if they aren't somewhat depressing also.

IrvAdams

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 09:48:40 AM »
Great article.
So the Times Square Hardware on University (now demolished),
was not the original location?

It's still a cool area. As I was reading it, I also thought the Times-Square Hardware was part of the square. It's not the original building, I guess. Mudville Grill building is kinda interesting looking - it looks old.
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
- Lao Tzu

IrvAdams

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 09:56:10 AM »
I echo the last two comments.

Cool and sad.

And like alot of things, Jacksonville is a city with a lot of "could have" and "should have". This is another example.

I appreciate all the historical articles written on this site. But damn if they aren't somewhat depressing also.

Especially for a native like myself who remembers some of this stuff. Jax grew quickly and in jerky movements, but once it broke containment from "between the rivers" (Trout and St. Johns) it has been out of control and has lost a lot of character, especially with the expressway system ripping out vital neighborhoods.

I think of the differences between us and a city like Savannah that the expressway(s) did not pass through - their historical character is almost intact. Preservation is gospel in that town.
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
- Lao Tzu

duvaldude08

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
Are there any actual photos of how they entire area looked at the time??
Jaguars 2.0

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 12:21:02 PM »
Great history. Fortunately in this case, San Marco and St. Nicholas have other walkable commercial areas that survive (and are looking better than they have in a long time). I heard a great quote, I think from the mayor of Oklahoma City, something to the effect of "we've built great cities - if you happen to be a car."

Really looking forward to Lost Jacksonville. But what I'd really like to see is a book on our currently existing neighborhoods and districts. Good information on even some of our coolest areas, 5 Points, Eastside, Miramar, etc. is actually pretty hard to come by. If only we knew knew someone...
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

tufsu1

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 02:10:17 PM »
can't wait for the book!

finehoe

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »
But what I'd really like to see is a book on our currently existing neighborhoods and districts.

Who needs a book when you have metrojacksonville.com?

bencrix

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 02:39:37 PM »
Really looking forward to Lost Jacksonville. But what I'd really like to see is a book on our currently existing neighborhoods and districts. Good information on even some of our coolest areas, 5 Points, Eastside, Miramar, etc. is actually pretty hard to come by. If only we knew knew someone...

Agreed. A book on the history / design / function of our core neighborhoods would be great. Sort of a "Jacksonville's Architectural Heritage" but from a planning perspective (land use, social / culture history, etc.)

acme54321

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 06:05:14 AM »