Author Topic: The Duval County Courthouse finally moves forward  (Read 21404 times)

Jimmy

• Less talking and more doing.
    • @JimmyMidyette
Re: The Duval County Courthouse finally moves forward
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2008, 03:06:48 PM »
I've always said build up and sell off the excess land.  But since that's what they're not doing, that's what they're not doing.  I'd rather see flex-greenspace than replicated surface parking lots.
twitter.com/JimmyMidyette

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2008, 03:06:54 PM »
I'd prefer grass over another surface lot as well.  If nothing else, that property would be available for future expansions to the building.  It certainly doesn't look like it'll be getting any taller.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2008, 03:19:11 PM »
I'd prefer grass over another surface lot as well.  If nothing else, that property would be available for future expansions to the building.  It certainly doesn't look like it'll be getting any taller.

Perhaps we can make it a second dog park downtown.  I hear that the $700K one on Main is filling up.

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2008, 05:07:07 PM »
Here is a look at what kind of impact this building will have on the core.

After seeing this model placed in Google Earth for the first time you'll understand just how massive this building is.  If this were built on one block it would likely be as tall as the Bellsouth Tower!

* Note that the colors are all screwed up for some reason...

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2008, 05:09:19 PM »
Wow, Jason!  That's incredible!  You do some amazing renders...

You almost make it look respectable.  And I can completely see Lake's vision for the irregular plots of land that form that... sort of... half-moon shape.

And until now, I never understood where it would sit in relation to the old federal courthouse.  I always imagined it more south-ward.  Sort of south of Monroe.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 05:10:54 PM by Jimmy »

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2008, 05:14:11 PM »
I pictured it facing east-west versus north-south.  An east-west orientation would have given it a more prominent appearance because Monroe is a more heavily traveled street and the view from the highway would have been more substantial.  I am happy about the fact that Monroe is staying open to traffic though.

stephenc

« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2008, 05:30:25 PM »
THAT THING IS HUGE!! I didnt realize 4 blocks would take up that much space!!

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2008, 05:34:06 PM »
... An east-west orientation would have given it a more prominent appearance because Monroe is a more heavily traveled street and the view from the highway would have been more substantial...
I agree with that -- however, buildings in DT tend to "face" the river.  Even when they're not on the river. 

RiversideGator

« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2008, 07:30:28 PM »
Truly ghastly.  Amazing rendering, but it does not change my original opinion.  What a pity.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #84 on: May 02, 2008, 04:52:16 AM »
Good work Jason.  The courthouse definately looks like a big bull in the middle of a china shop.  At 800,000 square feet, its so large that even in its horizontal format, its still a midrise building that will probably end up being taller than 100 feet or the height of a ten story building.

The graphic also gives a good visual idea of why the remaining portions of the two blocks between Monroe & Adams Streets will most likely become green space, as opposed to private sector infill buildings that will block the view of the structure from Adams Street.

Also, if the city does not sell the last remaining full block between Julia & Pearl, there's going to be a significant level of disconnect between the Hemming Plaza/Adams Street area (the portion with building fabric) and the actual new courthouse.  I'm really interested to find out more about what's going to happen with the remaining blocks than what the actual courthouse building will look like at this point.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT!)
    • FRESH START SOCIAL SERVICES
« Reply #85 on: May 02, 2008, 09:14:12 AM »
Heights, the lastest design was done by KBJ.  Cannon was let loose a few years ago.

Then I guess what I mean is, I like the "original" KBJ design, not the present one.

Heights Unknown
PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE AT: https://www.facebook.com/garrybernardcoston.personal, or, access my Social Service Agency Facebook page if you love supporting charities/social entities at: https://www.facebook.com/FRESHSTARTSOCIALSERVICEAGENCY/; thank you!!!

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: May 02, 2008, 09:52:05 AM »
Good work Jason.  The courthouse definately looks like a big bull in the middle of a china shop.  At 800,000 square feet, its so large that even in its horizontal format, its still a midrise building that will probably end up being taller than 100 feet or the height of a ten story building.

The graphic also gives a good visual idea of why the remaining portions of the two blocks between Monroe & Adams Streets will most likely become green space, as opposed to private sector infill buildings that will block the view of the structure from Adams Street.

Also, if the city does not sell the last remaining full block between Julia & Pearl, there's going to be a significant level of disconnect between the Hemming Plaza/Adams Street area (the portion with building fabric) and the actual new courthouse.  I'm really interested to find out more about what's going to happen with the remaining blocks than what the actual courthouse building will look like at this point.

I had no idea of the total height of the proposed building.  Before it was all said and done I ended up with what appears to be a well proportioned model based on the renderings that towers 148' above sea level at the peak of the roof.  May be a little tall but I don't think I'm all that far off.

Jason

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: May 02, 2008, 09:55:59 AM »
Here is a better stand alone image from Sketchup.