Author Topic: The Duval County Courthouse finally moves forward  (Read 21368 times)

Charleston native

Re: The Duval County Courthouse finally moves forward
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 12:45:02 PM »
Thanks for putting up those other renderings, lake. Now I understand why you guys are disappointed with the current design. The Cannon, KBJ, and Rink Reynolds designs are indeed much better than the currently planned one. Is there anyway to revert to those earlier designs, or is this approved one pretty much "set in stone"?

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2008, 12:52:54 PM »
I personally thought that none of the four had any urban design sense to them at all (they all closed Monroe St), but if I had to pick my favorite, it would be the KBJ one (I think the world just stopped spinning as I typed that).

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
I FOUND IT! WOW!
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2008, 02:37:44 PM »
Hey y'all, I finally figured out our new Courthouse style!

It's called "NEW GERMANIA" and it comes from the redesign of Berlin as the new World Capitol by Adolph Hitler. YA PEYTON IS DER SUPERMAYOR! "Super-duper...Super Mayor"

Completely void of life forms, this is Hitlers New Germania model of Berlin, say isn't that our Courthouse?

Ocklawaha

Matt

• My Band!!!
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2008, 03:19:15 PM »
i dont find the design so hideous as the layout. were they trying to just waste two blocks? the minimal spillover could be made up by what, one or two more stories? i suppose they just couldnt allow such a grand building not to have a lawn to view it from across...and then the rerouting of the street. no no this is not good at all. but hey, maybe this will become a great center of downtown one day as lavilla refills and downtown continues to grow....i can't wait.
My home is my body.
My protection is right action.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2008, 03:27:27 PM »
Yes Stephen, you get the gold ring... Little Albert Speer, the "good Nazi" , his buddy Adolph and his dog SPOT. Most folks don't know that Hitler was quite a decent artist in his own right. Still fewer realize the famous VW beatle has his sketch work in it's design! DATS IT! Das offizielle Personalauto des Duval Landgericht-Hauses.

When looking back over the Courthouse thread tune in the link below, it really makes the Courthouse lght right up. Just click the link and minimize it, then go and scroll through the posted photos. It's really a trip!

http://www.last.fm/music/Richard+Wagner/_/Ride+of+the+Valkyries?autostart

Let's not forget little Richard Wagner! In Norse mythology the Valkyries were the "choosers of the slain", not a bad theme song for a Courthouse.

Ocklawaha
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 03:41:09 PM by Ocklawaha »

EP

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2008, 03:57:22 PM »
I think we need to put this in perspective by looking at the end users.  Why should we build such a nice building for lawyers and criminals?  I personally don't care for either...

Jimmy

• Less talking and more doing.
    • @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2008, 04:06:31 PM »
I think we need to put this in perspective by looking at the end users.  Why should we build such a nice building for lawyers and criminals?  I personally don't care for either...

Or people going to get their marriage license, or people going to record their deed, or people going to deal with a probate matter, or people going to get a deadbeat tenant evicted, or people going to get child support for their kids, or people going to press their civil rights in court, or people called down for jury duty, or people going...

You're right!  I don't care for any of those people.  Oh wait... that's everyone.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 04:12:08 PM by Jimmy »
twitter.com/JimmyMidyette

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2008, 04:42:23 PM »
There is a difference between a double-wide trailer, a functional, no-frills building, and a taj mahal.  We have chosen option 3

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2008, 05:02:24 PM »
No.  We could have chosen option #3 if we'd kept the Cannon design on track.

We're now getting #2 for a cost in excess of #3.

Steve

• The Jaxson
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2008, 05:14:14 PM »
No.  We could have chosen option #3 if we'd kept the Cannon design on track.

We're now getting #2 for a cost in excess of #3.

Are you honestly saying that this design is a no-frills design?

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 05:19:39 PM »
Yes.  It looks like something that should contain an ice-skating rink on Phillips Highway.  To me.  This is subjective stuff.  I'm just comparing it to what was possible with the old Cannon or even earlier KBJ design.

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2008, 05:26:35 PM »
I mean... okay... it has some character with the columns.  But it's no taj mahal.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2008, 05:43:48 PM »
Compared to the earlier versions, its not "no-frills".  Its a bad attempt of coming up with a taj mahal type look, that will cost taxpayers a taj mahal and a half.  Quite frankly, KBJ's earlier version was 100% better then what's currently on the table.  However, given that the plans are still a work in process, it may be safe to assume that the look we see today, may not be the one that actually rises in the end.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2008, 05:49:43 PM »
This whole process has been so flawed.  There's a part of me that wishes stephendare had been right when he told us the whole courthouse project was dead.

RiversideGator

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2008, 06:48:26 PM »
Wow, uh, I thought many of you guys would like the design. I like it, myself. It looks like a larger version of some of the buildings in my hometown...and isn't that what some of you wanted in downtown? This building will add some traditional architecture to the city, and I believed many of you here advocated that.

I'm not a huge fan of making new structures mimic design styles of an era gone by, because today's mass produced building materials make the structures look cheap, imo.  This is why preservation is important.  However, I'm more concerned with how buildings fit into the urban grid and stimulate foot traffic between them and the surrounding areas.

I disagree.  The "traditional" architecture of the early 20th century itself hearkened back to earlier eras all the way back to antiquity.  Was such architecture "derivative"?  Well yes, but it was also attractive, popular, long lasting in terms of its appeal and stood the test of time.  The modern stuff becomes dated very quickly.

BTW, as for materials, while natural stone is best for these style buildings, builders can do wonders now days with cast stone provided they have the good sense to do it.  See this local company for more info:
http://www.pedroniscaststone.com/

This same company helped build much of Riverside/Avondale and other areas.  And, cast stone can last for 100 years or more if properly cared for.  It will be around long after these modern plastic monstrosities have disintegrated in the sun.