Author Topic: Shoppes on Riverside Renderings  (Read 15793 times)

edjax

Re: Shoppes on Riverside Renderings
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 11:13:04 AM »
I am really glad Corner Bakery Cafe is coming. I really miss them.

I was a regular at the ones up north. The bigger ones have great breakfasts. This one looks scaled down a bit so probably nothing big there. They had great panini's back then but its been awhile. Will definitely pay a visit post open.

Perhaps in 15 or 20 years I will be able to take the Skyway there.

Per their own website  Corner Bakery Cafes range from 3,000-4,500 square feet.  This particular one will be 4,000 square feet so will be towards the upper end in size, so does not really appear to be a scaled down version at all.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 11:24:01 AM by edjax »

spuwho

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 12:05:46 PM »
My comment on Corner Bakery is wholly positive. Just a brief whine on what they may offer, but I will go and find out. The last opening of a Corner Bakery I went to had a healthy line.

My comment on the Skyway was purely sarcasm.  I was mocking the fact that it may be awhile before a JTA funding request would be approved.

From where I live it is not a very good use of my time to use public transportation. I wish I could do a park and ride to the city center then Skyway to the new shops.  But based on bus scheduling more than half my day would be tied up waiting.

For now I will drive but I check updates to the JTA service regularly. But thank you for the bus route suggestions.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
Better skyway connectivity will result in additional economic development opportunities for DT that local bus services will never deliver.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bridges

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 06:35:35 PM »
If the riverside trolley sticks, wouldn't need a whole new trolley to downtown, just have it meet the Brooklyn skyway stop.
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.

tufsu1

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2014, 10:39:10 PM »
My comment on the Skyway was purely sarcasm.  I was mocking the fact that it may be awhile before a JTA funding request would be approved.

JTA is submitting for the TIGER grant again.  And they have primed it by going up to DC and talking to FTA staff about the importance of connectivity and what the project would mean for the area.  The application should be submitted in about 1  month and winners will be announced in late summer or early fall.

ProjectMaximus

• Firewalking Journey
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2014, 12:49:42 AM »

JTA is submitting for the TIGER grant again.  And they have primed it by going up to DC and talking to FTA staff about the importance of connectivity and what the project would mean for the area.  The application should be submitted in about 1  month and winners will be announced in late summer or early fall.

Do you know if there will be any major changes to the app? Any chance to extend it all the way to Forest since they had to add fluff in there last time to reach $20 million (the minimum for a 100% match, iirc)?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2014, 06:31:04 AM »
I don't believe changes will involve extending it further than the Brooklyn Skyway yard.  Looking at 220 Riverside's parking lot that sits between Riverside Avenue and the building, I'm not sure it can fit without some major modifications to their lot's layout.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

CCMjax

• "That's what we're here for boys . . . to win!!"
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2014, 10:41:07 PM »
I think its a positive.  Not the best design especially with all the surface parking but perhaps a garage was not in the budget.  Anything elevated requiring foundations is much more expensive.  Wish it was included though because nothing takes away from aesthetics and walkability as much as surface lots do.  I think it is better in urban environments to have concealed parking garages.  It is a start though.  The whole brooklyn area is about to be transformed which is good and hopefully serves as a catalyst for the jax core.  Although i hope the core doesnt get too cosmopolitan.  Im a huge advocate of public transit but i really dont like the idea of expanding the skyway.  It is ugly and expensive and diesnt serve its purpose very efficiently.  If there is goi g to be huge spending on transit id rather see expanded bus service or a streetcar system sort of like tampa's.  That system is actually attractive and doesnt block out the sky in the neighborhood.
"The first man who, having enclosed a piece of ground, bethought himself of saying 'This is mine,' and found people simple enough to believe him, was the real founder of civil society." - Jean Jacques Rousseau

jacksoninjax

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2014, 02:39:59 AM »
thelakelander
April 02, 2014, 12:40:14 PM
Materials will probably be the same as any other strip center going up these days. A similar scaled shopping center, also anchored by Fresh Market, opened a few miles north of downtown Orlando last Fall. I suspect, at the end of the day, the architectural, material and landscaping quality of Shoppes on Riverside will be pretty similar.

Lakelander,  How can you say that these developments have any aesthetic similarities?  Look closely at the Orlando renderings.  It takes complete advantage of the entire property and is truly an first-tier urban mix-used project.  Notice how all of the buildings face their respective street fronts and place the majority of the parking in multi-level garages and/or spaces BEHIND the buildings. 

The Jacksonville project has the same cookie cutter suburban design (to wit, the sprawling parking lot abutting Riverside Avenue).  Notice that the Orlando project doesn't have this feature.

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of Jacksonville and I've called it home for many years.  However, I get so frustrated by the lack of uninspired development. There are some superb developments, which I can talk about later. But you have to admit, we have some major developmental buzz kills also. 

I work for a major U.S. airline and I have personally visited every major city in the country (numerous times), as well as most Alpha World cities-a perspective I fear that the majority of the posters haven't yet achieved. 

Jacksonville has SO many attributes it's crazy!!   Our beautiful beaches, the gorgeous St. Johns River, historic neighborhoods and, of course, our massive public parks.  By the way, why hasn't the the city not advertised the hell out of the fact that Jacksonville has more trees than any other city in the U.S?  I challenge any person to prove me wrong on this.

Jacksonville can become a first-tier city; no doubt in my mind.  However, one of the first steps is for architects and developers to step out of the box and stop creating the same boring, uninspired crap.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2014, 07:03:24 AM »
I've seen the Orlando development in person. It's open. The Fresh Market has a surface parking lot in front of it, just like ours will. In both cases, the surrounding retail buildings line the edge of the property. The major difference is the surrounding context. Riverside Avenue is significantly wider and more autocentric in design than 17/92.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 07:11:35 AM by thelakelander »

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2014, 08:04:37 AM »
Have to agree with Lake. There isnt a drastic difference between the Orlando and Jax Fresh Market centers,  and I'd be really hard-pressed to call the Orlando development a 'first tier urban mixed-use' facility.

urbaknight

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2014, 11:09:45 AM »
Not to highjack the thread but, now since the YMCA project is now dead. (Jaxksonville style) I think the Y should sell to the land to a yankee born high-rise apartment developer. There's your urban infill!

edjax

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2014, 11:24:10 AM »
Y is not dead, just working on the financing and seems more of just a delay.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2014, 03:59:43 PM »
I at breakfast at a First Watch in the Orlando Fresh Market development the other week. Here are some phone pics of that retail center that should give everyone a good idea of what the Shoppes of Riverside will feel like, once complete:

jaxlore

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2014, 04:13:45 PM »
thanks Lake for the pics. still kinda meh.