Author Topic: SJTC condo development auctioning off units at bargain basement prices  (Read 5407 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Who says, the urban core is the only area affected?

A one-bedroom at the Esplanade in fall of 2006 sold for $194,300, according to Duval County Property Appraiser records.

Bidding at the auction next month will begin at $95,000.

full article: http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/042208/bus_270693365.shtml
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Steve

• The Jaxson
This is great:

The location is Jacksonville's example of "new urbanism," where shopping, restaurants, offices and homes converge for a walkable community.

Isn't it interesting how Jacksonville's examples of things don't usually match the rest of the world's "examples"

rjp2008

The Esplanade is really a great design - Mediterranean style and all - however, they stuck in the back of SJTC! Who wants to walk out of their complex and look at the back of storefronts! Very poor lot design - the community should have been placed somewhere in the middle, around a lake, with green everywhere.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Very poor lot design - the community should have been placed somewhere in the middle, around a lake, with green everywhere.

or on top of the retail.  The same goes for the townhouse development behind Target.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

copperfiend

The townhomes are terrible. They look tacky and are fenced off from the rest of the Town Center. Another example of what not to do.

Doctor_K

• Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rod!
    • Carolina Fusion
Very poor lot design - the community should have been placed somewhere in the middle, around a lake, with green everywhere.
or on top of the retail.

Stacking residential on top of the retail would've been brilliant, and would have more than likely enhanced the whole 'town center' feel of it.  It might've made the retail parking situation a little more difficult, though.  Oh wait, they could've erected parking decks!!  But no0o0o!

The townhomes are terrible. They look tacky and are fenced off from the rest of the Town Center. Another example of what not to do.
In theory I agree with the 'what not to do' part, as it relates to walkability and being cut off from the rest of the development.  But I sure as heck love mine! :-)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover and create."  -- Albert Einstein

JaxNole

• Riverside Community Gardens
I agree.  I walked through more than 50 units when I was with my former company. 

Examples of substandard findings:
Paint that would chip after taping a directional sign for five minutes
Sink that fell through the countertop
Carpet seams that would become visible after light traffic
Long, dimly-lit corridors leading to units
Fixtures that, well, were un-affixed and found in various  places, such as the kitchen and bathroom floors
Loose balcony and stairwell banisters/railings

These were overpriced from the moment pre-sales began, but the developer believed the product was worth more than listing prices and would only budge upwards on price points.

rjp2008

Well this is what you get when you sell land to mall development companies from Atlanta and Indiana - a place that looks like a midwestern mall, instead of lush, exotic, draw tourists Florida.

However.......(speaking in hushed voice) Skinner still owns the land across the street (town center parkway), which sits on a HUGE created lake, with a sunset exposure no less...

Basstacular

There were / are major mold issues at Esplande.  My GF had to be put up in a hotel for five weeks for repairs.

Eazy E

The Esplanade is really a great design - Mediterranean style and all - however, they stuck in the back of SJTC! Who wants to walk out of their complex and look at the back of storefronts! Very poor lot design - the community should have been placed somewhere in the middle, around a lake, with green everywhere.

Who wants to walk out of their complex and realize they're surrounded by the monstrosity that is the SJTC? I don't care if it's front, back, or middle, it still sucks, and makes one believe that the only "recreation" we in Jacksonville are capable of is consumption.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
There were / are major mold issues at Esplande.  My GF had to be put up in a hotel for five weeks for repairs.

I know a girl who owned a unit that had mold issues as well.  The Folio ran a story about The Esplanade sometime last year.

copperfiend

Who wants to walk out of their complex and realize they're surrounded by the monstrosity that is the SJTC? I don't care if it's front, back, or middle, it still sucks, and makes one believe that the only "recreation" we in Jacksonville are capable of is consumption.

I don't think that is entirely true. I actually think that a number of people at the SJTC aren't even from Jacksonville.

nicktooch

Re: SJTC condo development auctioning off units at bargain basement prices
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 05:10:47 PM »
i pass condo this everyday on my way to work; the sign says 2 left!