Author Topic: Levels: A Look at Laveranues Coles Plans for Downtown  (Read 31205 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Levels: A Look at Laveranues Coles Plans for Downtown
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2015, 08:54:46 AM »
The best thing that could happen over there is moving the convention center across the street, to the old courthouse site. It would be an economic blessing, not only for those Elbow venues but also the Hyatt and Landing.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Marle Brando

« Reply #76 on: December 10, 2015, 09:09:39 AM »
I agree^ But what would become of the old city hall annex? I always thought it would make for a great apartment building if repurposed or possible attached convention center hotel.

downtownbrown

« Reply #77 on: December 10, 2015, 09:22:54 AM »
^^ I agree.  And completing Berkman 2 would also help a great deal.  Recall that DIA turned down a developer a year or so ago who, for a mere $5 million, would have completed the building and turned it into apartments.  That would have reduced the average age of the neighborhood residents significantly.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2015, 09:24:34 AM »
^I personally think the old city hall annex would be a great public/private market rate housing project with some street level retail/dining. It's a centrally located and structurally sound with floor plates that would be more conducive for residential retrofit, verses those of a typical office building. The city also already owns it, meaning the public side of the partnership could be giving the property (for free or at a significantly reduced price) to a group to retrofit. In the end, the property returns to the tax rolls and it's filled with something that positively contributes to the urban environment surrounding it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

urbaknight

« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2016, 01:09:20 PM »
A bit off topic but, I have very bad news. I got dumped so I won't be moving. I didn't want to jinks it before but I might as well say where I was going to move, It was Vermont. It's bad news for everyone here because I'm bad luck. That's why the city can't get its act together and the Jags suck. All that will change once I leave though. In Vermont I was going to become a Pats fan in order to bring them down to the leveel of the jags. But now I'm still stuck here. We can forget about the Laura st Trio, the Barnett building, the building across from the Carling or any truely Progressive DT developement from happening this year. I'm very sorry Jacksonville. I care about this city so much. But I can't be here if we want this to be a real city.

I'm thinking of doing some sort of fund raiser to in order to get the money I need to be able to move. Would anyone here donate to that caue by any chance? This city can become what we all believe it should be. But only if I'm not here.

blizz01

« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2016, 06:10:01 PM »
^ LOL, would love to know your original thought - considering the edit...

RattlerGator

« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2016, 09:03:33 PM »
A bit off topic but, I have very bad news. I got dumped so I won't be moving. I didn't want to jinks it before but I might as well say where I was going to move, It was Vermont. It's bad news for everyone here because I'm bad luck. That's why the city can't get its act together and the Jags suck. All that will change once I leave though. In Vermont I was going to become a Pats fan in order to bring them down to the leveel of the jags. But now I'm still stuck here. We can forget about the Laura st Trio, the Barnett building, the building across from the Carling or any truely Progressive DT developement from happening this year. I'm very sorry Jacksonville. I care about this city so much. But I can't be here if we want this to be a real city.

I'm thinking of doing some sort of fund raiser to in order to get the money I need to be able to move. Would anyone here donate to that caue by any chance? This city can become what we all believe it should be. But only if I'm not here.

So . . . you're doing some kind of reverse mojo thing, right? Right?

Cheer up, knight. Plenty more fish in the sea. But . . . Vermont? For real? Brrrrrrrrr !!!

urbaknight

« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2016, 02:32:42 PM »
^ Well I am from Jersey, so Vermont isn't too far of a stretch. I'm fine with the cold; I was looking forward to getting into ice fishing and back into skiing. Plus I was really looking forward to knocking that spoiled playboy tom brady down a few pegs by being his fan. Any team that I live close to and root for has always sucked. It happened with the Eagels, then the Giants and now the Jags. So I just figured I'd send that misfortune to the Patriots. I think we can all agree that they win too much.

As for Downtown, things will improve, but only in my absentance. That what happened with every place I moved away from. They've all pretty much become hotspots, or at the very least they became very well known. And I think I can do the same thing for Jax.

But the main thing is that, no woman in this area will date me, I've checked with them all!