Author Topic: Hendricks Avenue: The Next Hot Urban District  (Read 14312 times)

Lunican

• The Jaxson
    • MetroJacksonville.com
Re: Hendricks Avenue: The Next Hot Urban District
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 09:49:58 AM »
Hmm, that's going to make getting from Springfield/Downtown to San Marco more difficult.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 09:59:08 AM »
^One solution would be to extend the Skyway a short distance (less than a half mile) on either end, making it a pretty useful urban core transit line. However, that would involve actually investing in transit, which is a four letter word to many locally.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 10:05:17 AM »
Hmm. Like a mobility fee credit adjustment or TIF district.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 10:06:54 AM »
Indeed, only real issue that I have with the San Marco district is there lack of safe bike lanes.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 10:25:55 AM »
^That's an easy fix. San Marco has a grid, so it already has a number of safer parallel routes a block or so away from major corridors. Also, with a simple change in the city's roadway design standards, right-sizing the main streets can be done quickly. The major issue San Marco's streets face are the same faced by other neighborhoods.  Change eventually has to be implemented through City Hall for some of these things to become reality.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 10:32:03 AM »
Y'all know the exit ramp from I-95 south to Hendricks Ave is going away with the Overland Bridge Project.

On my commute home yesterday I noticed that they are starting to build up the wall for the roadway just west of Hendricks. It's about 50 yards south of the current traffic lanes. Will I-95 really be that wide when the project is finished?? That's like 120 yards of roadway.

In response to Bridges comment, I agree that A-wolf feels much farther from the square than it is. It wasn't until I started doing the weekly run at the brewery that I realized how easy that walk is. I blame lighting, the lack of a continuous sight line, and the higher speed of traffic for why the walk seems longer. While running along Hendricks, I have almost been hit by 2 cars who weren't looking for pedestrians. Both times I had the right of way.

acme54321

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 10:54:13 AM »
Y'all know the exit ramp from I-95 south to Hendricks Ave is going away with the Overland Bridge Project.

On my commute home yesterday I noticed that they are starting to build up the wall for the roadway just west of Hendricks. It's about 50 yards south of the current traffic lanes. Will I-95 really be that wide when the project is finished?? That's like 120 yards of roadway.

In response to Bridges comment, I agree that A-wolf feels much farther from the square than it is. It wasn't until I started doing the weekly run at the brewery that I realized how easy that walk is. I blame lighting, the lack of a continuous sight line, and the higher speed of traffic for why the walk seems longer. While running along Hendricks, I have almost been hit by 2 cars who weren't looking for pedestrians. Both times I had the right of way.

I noticed this too, and the answer is yes.  It is going to be 15 lanes wide through that part.

jaxinatl

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 09:25:19 AM »
As a Jax native who lives in Atl, I have always said this road(area)  should become an urban district. It could connect San Marco with the Southbank and downtown.

jaxlore

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 12:44:09 PM »
No mention of Jack Rabbits? While the interior of that place kills me they have had have some of the hands down best underground shows in Jacksonville.

tufsu1

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 02:31:47 PM »

that's nothing compared with the widening on I-275 through the Westshore part of Tampa right now...or for that matter, the reconstruction of I-4 through Orlando that will get started next year

peestandingup

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »
Its great if you like a place that's nothing but restaurants & bars, but it needs more of a human feel (like a park, general places to chill, etc). Right now it feels like a suburban/urban mishmash. Most of San Marco has always struck me as that.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 04:09:50 PM »

I think another thing that contributes to this is that Hendricks feels disconnected from the square. North of Atlantic, it's really not until you get to the Landon intersection that there's any more street-facing storefronts, and that's nearly a quarter mile away. I think some of the upcoming projects (East San Marco, the building across the street, and the planned building at 1917 Hendricks) will do a lot to change that. There will probably also be more demand for street parking, too, which may give some incentive for restriping.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

urbaknight

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »
^ But if they make mass-transit work well there'd be little need for extra parking. But the really difficult thing would be convincing the general populous that they're not too good to ride it.

On another note, does Hurricanes still do the 50 cent wings on Mondays? They have a great variety of flavors. I really like the rasberry glazed wings, such a weird flavor to think of, but really excellent taste!

tufsu1

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 12:17:56 PM »
On another note, does Hurricanes still do the 50 cent wings on Mondays? They have a great variety of flavors. I really like the rasberry glazed wings, such a weird flavor to think of, but really excellent taste!

yes

Know Growth

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 08:49:27 PM »
........ I do hope that people will another look at Edgewood Avenue in Murray Hill!

Maybe some day San Marco folk will be drawn to Murray Hill

That's why parking is so important