Author Topic: Hendricks Avenue: The Next Hot Urban District  (Read 14053 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Hendricks Avenue: The Next Hot Urban District
« on: January 30, 2014, 03:00:01 AM »
Hendricks Avenue: The Next Hot Urban District

San Marco's Hendricks Avenue continues to emerge as Jacksonville's latest nightlife and dining district. Metro Jacksonville's Major Stephenson provides us with a closer look.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2014-jan-hendricks-avenue-the-next-hot-urban-district

Noone

Re: Hendricks Avenue: The Next Hot Urban District
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 04:57:25 AM »
Very Positive.

ben says

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 07:13:03 AM »
What about the new bar across from Aardwolf: The Sidecar?
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 07:21:32 AM »
My first time hearing of it. Please do tell more? Will this bar be located in the building next to the new Panera or on the block with Green Erth?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ben says

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 07:45:09 AM »
My first time hearing of it. Please do tell more? Will this bar be located in the building next to the new Panera or on the block with Green Erth?

This is all they have up so far. I believe it'll be associated w/ (or attached to) Veloce pizza. Not 100% sure yet. More info to come (it's not my project, but I know the guy whose doing it)
For luxury travel agency & concierge services, reach out at jax2bcn@gmail.com - my blog about life in Barcelona can be found at www.lifeinbarcelona.com (under construction!)

Bridges

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 08:04:53 AM »
Good article.  Like seeing all the things happening there and in San Marco with the redesign of San Marco Blvd and Balis Park. 

What's funny though is my mindset about walkability.  From Aardwolf to Balis Park is about half a mile.  Just a ten minute walk.  Just a little bit further than Salty Fig to Lola's.  I think a lot has to do with the buffer from the street.  On King St. parking spots buffer you from traffic on the road so it doesn't feel like you're walking so close to traffic and vulnerable. 

I don't know, maybe it's just me. 
So I said to him: Arthur, Artie come on, why does the salesman have to die? Change the title; The life of a salesman. That's what people want to see.

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 08:57:13 AM »
As a long time patron of San Marco restaurants, stores & movie theater & of course Theater Jacksonville, I'm so happy that they expanded neighborhood is becoming more walkable & urban.

pierre

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 08:59:06 AM »
Aardwolf is cool but why such an early last call? 11pm on a Saturday night?

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 09:00:03 AM »
Though, even with all of this extra retail space, soon the residents of San Marco will grow cranky at the parking issue and eventual run out of retail space, I do hope that people will another look at Edgewood Avenue in Murray Hill!

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 09:05:14 AM »
Aardwolf is cool but why such an early last call? 11pm on a Saturday night?

For San Marco residents who work the evening shift the only option is Sherwoods, which is cool and all but can be too smoky for many.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

GreenBear

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 09:07:21 AM »
Cool picture from the Green Lion Festival. Love it.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 09:08:03 AM »
Though, even with all of this extra retail space, soon the residents of San Marco will grow cranky at the parking issue and eventual run out of retail space, I do hope that people will another look at Edgewood Avenue in Murray Hill!

There's enough room for all of Jax's older commercial districts to fill up with businesses once again.  The main reason most have fallen is because the urban core's population and density have dropped 50% since 1950. If we can get more of our established neighborhoods to stabilize their population decline and begin to see growth, many storefronts on streets like Main, McDuff, Phoenix, Kings, Myrtle, Edison, Philip Randolph, Moncrief, Edgewood, etc. will naturally see higher occupancy rates, regardless of what takes place in the suburbs and surrounding counties.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 09:14:10 AM »
Good article.  Like seeing all the things happening there and in San Marco with the redesign of San Marco Blvd and Balis Park. 

What's funny though is my mindset about walkability.  From Aardwolf to Balis Park is about half a mile.  Just a ten minute walk.  Just a little bit further than Salty Fig to Lola's.  I think a lot has to do with the buffer from the street.  On King St. parking spots buffer you from traffic on the road so it doesn't feel like you're walking so close to traffic and vulnerable. 

I don't know, maybe it's just me. 

They illustrate the importance of context sensitive street design, the mobility fee's priority projects, bike/ped safety and highlight why our roadway design standards should be revamped. Hendricks is definitely a street where the continuous 12' wide center turn lane should have been omitted in the roadway's reconfiguration nearly 10 years ago. Without that center turn lane, there would have been room for wider sidewalks (outdoor dining opportunities) and more parking. Anyway, even now, it's not too late. It can still be "right-sized" by restriping. However, that means we'd have to be willing to give up a lane for cars in favor of the bike and pedestrian experience.

Overstreet

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 09:20:25 AM »
Y'all know the exit ramp from I-95 south to Hendricks Ave is going away with the Overland Bridge Project.

tufsu1

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 09:31:45 AM »
Y'all know the exit ramp from I-95 south to Hendricks Ave is going away with the Overland Bridge Project.

yes...starting next week