Author Topic: Downtown Revitalization: Miami  (Read 10077 times)

tpot

Re: Downtown Revitalization: Miami
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 12:26:49 PM »
oh and the reason that the downtown homeless population in Miami is down by 90% is because they moved the services that support the homeless from the core of the city...............amazing how that works......

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 12:30:37 PM »
What area of town did they move the homeless facilities to?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

tpot

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »
They didn't relocate to just one area as far as I know, the goal was to get them out of the core of the city.....the City of Miami realized that they couldn't bring people into downtown to live and work if it was overrun by the homeless......seems to be working......

CityLife

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 01:31:46 PM »
Miami's city limits are fairly small. Did they relocate to city limits or elsewhere in Dade County?

Lake, did you know Tallahassee is moving The Shelter out of the DT area? They are moving it out on Pensacola Street closer to TCC. Tallahassee's homeless problem is a lot less severe than Jax...but proximity to the Greyhound station did make it a popular stopover. Will be interesting to see how that works.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 01:38:27 PM »
No, I wasn't aware that Tally was relocating The Shelter.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Know Growth

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 04:27:55 PM »
It certainly was wonderful to have been born in Miami Beach, grown up in the Miami area,North Miami.

Boating on Biscayne bay, the beaches, fishing piers. The 'Skipper Chuck' show,Jackie Gleason, Convention Center, The Grove,motels,Lincoln Road (with vehicles), Miami Beach! In the early seventies, just barely driving age we would drive, "Cruise" Miami Beach, the very elderly lined up on the porches of the motels that would become the "Deco" district.
Truly "Diverse" population sprinkled with Northeastern US folk, foreign nationals and later, Cuban immigrants.A certain élan,tropical urbane.
And conservation ethic. Even on Key Biscayne we saw public land and space commitment with Greynolds Park-a sizeable chunk of the "Key",and outstanding beach access. The promotion of westward expansion well in to and beyond the Everglades to the west,"Jetport"  was the natural evolution and hoped for,assumed transformation by some, complete with a full array Chamber Of Commerce and various Group endorsement- cause for backlash and creation of the Big Cypress Preserve and concerted efforts to establish and defend urban boundary, protection of Everglades 'Buffer', "Eastward Ho!" movement. The stance may have accommodated and spurned interest and development in the original "Core",although I believe the best land was developed first,and Downtown Miami would always remain a focal point,yet the "Sprawl" measures have probably been beneficial, creating a more livable and manageable region.

When I moved to Jacksonville in the late seventies my parents picked me up at the airport and,on the way to Clay county, my folks drove me to Downtown. My dad was so enchanted with, and proud of Downtown Jacksonville.......
POTENTIAL!!

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 09:41:43 PM »
Very impressive Miami....king of the carribbean region. Alot of cities like to claim they are a melting pop, but Miami is a true melting pop. Probably the closest thing to  New York culturally, but with the tropical climate. Miami is definitely king of Florida, no arguements there.
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

Mike D

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 10:41:09 PM »
Jacksonville will never compete with Miami, nor should it try to.  Different cities, different potentials, different personalities.  But Jax can definitely take a page from Miami's book.  Yes, policies really can have a positive impact on street-level life, energy, design and density.  These are the things that draw people.  Ferris wheels and big buildings are nice; they may add to a city, but they don't make one. As always, Jacksonville has the potential for greatness (which is not the same as biggest, tallest, etc)...all the ingredients are there.

jaxlore

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 11:39:34 AM »
I've stayed in DT miami half a dozen times over the last 10 years and I remember about 2 years ago saying its finally coming into its own again. Honestly I've never had a problem with homeless in Miami but maybe that's because I am used to them here ;)

finehoe

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 04:41:21 PM »
Miami 4th worst run city in America

4. Miami, Florida
> Population: 413,864 (42nd largest)
> Credit rating: A2, negative
> Violent crime per 100,000: 1,172 (15th highest)
> 2012 Unemployment rate: 10.3% (24th highest)

Miami’s credit is rated A2 with a negative outlook, one of the worst among large cities. Roughly one in 10 jobs in Miami is construction related, more than the vast majority of the largest U.S. cities. Miami’s poverty rate of 31% last year was roughly double the national rate. Job growth in Florida’s construction industry has improved somewhat recently, but the sector has a long way to go after it was slammed by the housing crisis. Between 2008 and 2012, Miami home values fell by nearly 40%, one of the worst drops among major U.S. cities. Last year, one in every 19 homes in the area were in foreclosure, worse than all but one other large city. On the other hand, Miami has recently been experiencing a boom in condo construction.

http://247wallst.com/special-report/2014/01/02/the-best-and-worst-run-cities-in-america-2/

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 10:35:26 AM »
I find South Beach to be an over priced tourist trap, however, Brickell feels like a real neighborhood.

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 10:36:34 AM »
Every tourist should visit South Beach, it's worth experiencing once.

The next night & the rest of your nights in Miami should be in Miami's Brickell neighborhood in the heart of downtown.

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 10:38:57 AM »
Coconut Grove has a surprisingly vibrant urban area with a great artistic flair within the broader surburan style neightborhood.   

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 04:53:55 PM »
South Beach is over priced and the hotels are IMO well over priced. Beautiful skyline though.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 06:14:39 PM »
South Beach and the hotels down there are overpriced, IMO. Nevertheless, we'll have a South Beach tour featured next week.