Author Topic: Riverside Avondale Night Trolley Launch This Weekend  (Read 63472 times)

mtraininjax

Re: Riverside Avondale Night Trolley Launch This Weekend
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2014, 11:54:21 AM »
That's awesome.  Let's see if we can get all the establishments to do that.

What would be great would be to have to-go cups available from the merchants to ride the trolley.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »
You cannot bring alcohol on to the trolley.  You can't bring open containers of alcohol on busses, period. 

It is also illegal for restaurants to let you walk out of their business with open containers of alcohol. 

As far as the trolleys having to stop.. they do this so that they can maintain headways... Otherwise you would see three busses in a row hit a stop and then nothing for 45 minutes.

I think operationally, JTA did a really, really good job.

As far as the STAR cards, many merchants did sell out quicker than expected on Saturday.  We did (for this weekend only) have volunteers on board from 6-10pm selling passes if you paid with a credit card. Starting in February, hopefully more merchants will be willing to sell STAR cards.

tufsu1

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2014, 01:04:57 PM »
It would be very interesting to see how merchant's revenue from last night compares with other Saturday nights

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2014, 03:26:44 PM »
Awesome first weekend! Lots of kinks to work out though, I believe.

-Perhaps when the service drops to one trolley the route can be shortened as well. I'm mainly thinking about cutting out service to commercial areas that have closed down but lack residential riders, which may really just be the brewery district.
-To me, the website loaded very slowly at certain times of the evening. Could have been my phone, but also could have been the server being slammed.
-Maintain headways better.

You cannot bring alcohol on to the trolley. 

I assume you mean only open containers, right? Picked up a six-pack at Beer:60 earlier in the evening and wouldnt think that should have been a problem.

As far as the trolleys having to stop.. they do this so that they can maintain headways... Otherwise you would see three busses in a row hit a stop and then nothing for 45 minutes.

This was a big problem for us! I think it was just after 8pm, and we wanted to go from King Street back to Five Points...but all three trolleys were already in Five Points!! Which meant we had to wait about ten minutes for the next trolley to come...and it would be followed closely by the other two, all going in the wrong direction for us. We got on the first one anyway, and in the process of riding out to avondale, were passed by the other two at various stops. LOL...point being they were all bunched together. My friend later suggested I screenshot the GPS locator to show all three next to each other, but I didnt think of it at the time.

One nice thing is that the Star Cards actually function for regular bus service. My friends were restless and we decided to hop back out at King Street and Riverside and walk the six blocks back...and upon getting off the trolley we saw the regular Riverside bus come along, transferred over and the cards worked! That was a sensible and nice surprise.

All-in-all, had a good time. Looking forward to next month!

mtraininjax

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »

That was a failure all night long, the buses were repeatedly right behind each other Saturday night, early in the night especially.

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”

Charles Hunter

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2014, 09:53:46 PM »
Buses running together - lack of supervision, JTA must not have had any route supervisors working the route.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2014, 10:20:05 PM »
JTA did have supervisors working and they actually did a pretty good job maintaining headways for most of Friday and Saturday night.  There were two designated points along the route where trolleys waited if they were running ahead of schedule (and they almost always were).  On the nearly 9 hours I spent aboard between Friday and Saturday night, the JTA supervisor did a really good job and came aboard several times to ask and answer questions to/from riders. The schedules being used were all based on standard assumptions regarding what kind of slack time should be built into the schedule.

That said, any new route will have some bunching problems at first (especially on routes with frequent headways).  I think JTA operations will have better data on average trip times as time goes on so that they can fine tune their control points, but that will also be a work in progress.  For example between Friday and Saturday night, there were pretty wide variations on which stops were popular and at which times during the night when more riders were on board.  Was that just because of the weather, or will that become standard?  That's a question that will just have to play out throughout this trial period.  JTA operations has been good to work with so far, so I'm very optimistic that the route performance will continue to improve.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:32:28 PM by fieldafm »

Charles Hunter

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2014, 10:40:13 PM »
Good to hear!  Yes, I imagine that driving time is quite different late at night.

peestandingup

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2014, 01:47:16 AM »

That was a failure all night long, the buses were repeatedly right behind each other Saturday night, early in the night especially.

They all do that & its a major problem with running an antiquated bus service in a town the size of Jax. If they're making good time, they'll pull over, park & wait so they can hit the scheduled times more accurately. So that any "good time" is then destroyed & good for nothing.

In cities that run regular services (like pickups every 10-20 minutes), from either bus or rail, then it wouldn't matter. And many times stops have electronic notifications indicating the ETA to clue riders in. Of course in Jax, you'll do well to get a bench that isnt broken down & some kind of shelter from the elements.

tufsu1

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2014, 09:58:02 AM »
In cities that run regular services (like pickups every 10-20 minutes), from either bus or rail, then it wouldn't matter. And many times stops have electronic notifications indicating the ETA to clue riders in. Of course in Jax, you'll do well to get a bench that isnt broken down & some kind of shelter from the elements.

This is not completely true.  If there are published arrival times (even when they run every 15-20 minutes), then it is imperative that the buses not arrive early.  Most transit agencies tell people to be at the stop at least 5 minutes before the scheduled arrival time just in case.

There are always trade-offs when using ANY form of public transportation.  Bottom line - JTA and the organizing committee did a very good job last weekend! 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 10:01:47 AM by tufsu1 »

mtraininjax

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 02:34:37 PM »
Bottom line - JTA and the organizing committee did a very good job last weekend!

They did OK, the failure of the GPS system Saturday night with the app, really screwed a lot people. Hope they can build in some backups for the next few months.

SunKing

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 06:57:55 PM »
Have there been any ridership numbers released?

mtraininjax

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 08:43:09 PM »
Just under 1000 is what I heard.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2014, 12:59:55 AM »
If those were distinct riders and not just trips, then that means it was profitable by a large margin!

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2014, 05:48:35 AM »
Have there been any ridership numbers released?

963 riders, which is good considering how cold it was Friday night.

And to answer Max's question, those are 963 'trips'.  Nevertheless, the numbers were good.  See all 1300 of you in February!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:54:39 AM by fieldafm »