Author Topic: Riverside Avondale Night Trolley Launch This Weekend  (Read 63476 times)

exnewsman

Re: Riverside Avondale Night Trolley Launch This Weekend
« Reply #210 on: July 05, 2017, 10:19:23 AM »
I wished this would have worked out but poor marketing and lack of convenience killed it for me if I have to walk a half mile to hop on I might as well walk all the way to king st and only running on the first weekend of the month i hardly remembered it was there.

After the ridership dropped and saw no rebound, JTA met with R/A business, got their support (both marketing and financial) to run it every weekend. The businesses (led by Allan DeVault of Black Sheep) promoted the trolley, along with JTA social media. JTA added a mobile app where you could instantly buy your pass on your phone and track the next trolley to appeal to a younger, more mobile crowd - but ridership never improved. The trolley then went back to one weekend a month before being cancelled. Ridership peaked at about 1,900 for one weekend not long after the service opened. That showed great promise. But its hard to justify keeping a service operating when only 35 people ride it all weekend.

jaxlore

« Reply #211 on: July 05, 2017, 12:59:36 PM »
Well maybe with some autonomous vehicles running around soon they'll be able to reinvent it somehow.

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #212 on: July 05, 2017, 01:33:16 PM »
I do think Uber and Lyft played a great deal into the challenges here. An Uber ride from Avondale to 5 Points is maybe $6, which if you have 3 people isn't fundamentally different than the Trolley, and is likely much faster.

mtraininjax

« Reply #213 on: July 07, 2017, 04:32:46 PM »
I wished this would have worked out but poor marketing and lack of convenience killed it for me if I have to walk a half mile to hop on I might as well walk all the way to king st and only running on the first weekend of the month i hardly remembered it was there.

The marketing was there, from the local restaurants and the posters, as well as from the JTA. The problem(s) were the routes. In order to get to 5-points from Avondale, you had to travel down St. Johns, to King Street then back down Rosselle. At Rosselle and Stockton, the drivers were "forced" to take a 5-10 minute break, before driving down Stockton to Park to 5-points. This could take you 25-30 minutes depending on the stops.  No passes sold on the bus, and no one wants to wait in 5 points for a bus that is sitting at the Gate Station for "who knows" how long. The app was cool to see where buses were located, and sometimes after the initial push in the evening they would go from 3 buses to 1 bus.

Uber and Lyft were killers to this idea.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field