Author Topic: Is Springfield a viable retail market?  (Read 116629 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Is Springfield a viable retail market?
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »
I'm not complaining.  Springfield's dining scene may be more diverse than Downtown's....plus the parking is free.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Shwaz

« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2009, 03:04:50 PM »
come on, we've got bbq, mediterranian, mexican, sliders, fried chicken, chinese (fried rice with gravy on top yum), fish (captain D's), sandwiches and soul food what else do we need?  with all the other options downtown we're set!  Bucket of KFC extra crispy and a steamer pack from Krystals yeah thats what I'm talking about.

Don't forget "Hip-Hop Fish & Chicken"
And though I long to embrace, I will not replace my priorities: humour, opinion, a sense of compassion, creativity and a distaste for fashion.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2009, 09:06:09 AM »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Karl_Pilkington

« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2009, 09:19:48 AM »
after looking at that menu it looks almost identical to Chans.  the curry roast pork sounds interesting.
"Does the brain control you or are you controlling the brain? I don't know if I'm in charge of mine." KP

fatcat

• "truth is in the eyes of beholder"------Elim Garak
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2009, 09:25:14 PM »
I found saliva on my key board after clicked on the link to the menu ;)
Looks like a worthy competitor for Chan's. I like the fact they have different lunch special every day. I really need that motivation to get my fat cat ass over there  ;D ;D ;D ;D

thekillingwax

« Reply #140 on: April 23, 2009, 11:25:37 PM »
What the heck is a golden finger?

I'll try it. My favorite local place is Hop Shing. Chan's is good but I don't like their rice. First thing I'll try is the beef w/ black bean sauce, if it's as good as Ying's on 103rd, this place will own my heart.

I-10east

« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2009, 12:35:13 AM »
About a week ago, I noticed Wafaa & Mike's Middle Eastern Food on Main Street has a sign that says "Shish Kabobs", so I'm like cool, I'm gonna get some shish kabobs; I go in there and they didn't have any, nor the equipment to make shish kabobs; The lady at the counter I believe(broken English) said that the eqipment wasn't gonna come in no time soon. So I settled for a pretty good steak, and chesse sandwich.

urbanlibertarian

• Duuuvaall!!
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2009, 08:21:33 PM »
thekillingwax wrote "What the heck is a golden finger?"

For those who remember Laugh-In, I think the Fickle Finger of Fate award was a golden statuette.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (Who watches the watchmen?)

aaapolito

« Reply #143 on: September 05, 2009, 08:38:56 PM »
Okay. I know this may throw Pro-Springfield people into a frenzy, but I drove through the neighborhood today for the first time and I was not impressed.  (Qualifier: I am from a town just outside Newark, NJ and I used to work in Newark. I know urban neighborhoods and I am not naive when it comes to inner city surroundings.)  I can see why everyone talks about the potential of Springfield, but right now I can only see a neighborhood that needs a great renaissance to make it what people on this blog claim it to be.

Without more forward progress, I'm sorry, but it's just another urban neighborhood that that could have been.

I hope that it changes because I am inspired by a neighborhood that can turn itself around.  I really do like urban redevelopment, but I just did not see what I expected to see.

aaapolito

« Reply #144 on: September 05, 2009, 09:10:17 PM »
I did like the historical bus stops and the victorian style homes.  Unfortunately, everything else overshadows.

Gonzo

• Beer is Good!
    • The Jax Beer Guy
« Reply #145 on: September 05, 2009, 09:25:03 PM »
You really should have seen it in 2005, when there was still promise.

So, Stephen, is one to assume from your quote above that you have written off Springfield? I thought you were a supporter... Or have I misunderstood something?
Born cold, wet, and crying; Gonzo has never-the-less risen to the pinnacle of the beer-loving world. You can read his dubious insights at www.JaxBeerGuy.com (click the BLOG link).

sheclown

« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2009, 09:05:49 AM »
Springfield Antiques is moving to Riverside.

enuffalready

« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2009, 01:17:29 PM »
Springfield Antiques is moving to Riverside.

Is that true or are you just making a joke?

I heard the same thing. 

sheclown

« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2009, 01:20:02 PM »
There was a sign in their window.

Gonzo

• Beer is Good!
    • The Jax Beer Guy
« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2009, 08:10:27 AM »
Stephen,

Thanks for your well thought out responses. I understand how you could feel the way you do. Had I had the experiences you had in the neighborhood I may feel similarly. I am sorry for the way you were treated and, while I never had the opportunity to visit, your concept for Boomtown always intrigued me.

Some of the issues stem with other residents and some with the city. I share your disapointment in the reception given to the new thrift shop on Main. Instead of deriding the owners, we should be lauding and supporting them for having the courage to open a store regardless of who it benefits. Had Goodwill or Salvation Army or SACARC opened a thrift store I doubt that the same response would have occured. I agree we need to curb the number of half-way houses in the area and that we have more than our share, but that certainly does not justify the type of response seen here.

As far as the other businesses locating in 5 Points, I recall a time when 5 Points was struggling, too. While it has always been a qaint area, it has had its share of reputation as well and yet it managed a renaissance. Once Main Street is finished and the economy turns around, I hope that Springfield will as well.

As a newer resident of the area -- but, not new to working in and interacting in the area -- I think there is still great potential. There are many unique buildings on Main and scattered throughout the neighborhood just waiting for development. I myself have been pining to open a small gastropub in the neighborhood, but cannot make it work financially at the moment. Main Street has the potential of becoming a funky, urban-oriented area akin to similar areas in other major cities such as San Francisco, Atlanta and St. Louis. It just takes vision, planning and cooperation.

Some ideas I have had:

The group of white buildings on the west side of Main at 5th would make an interesting restaurant/festival shopping/arts market.

The spainsh style building on the southeast corner of Pearl and 6th would make a wonderful gastropub.

The old grocery store at Walnut and 7th would be perfect for an upscale restaurant.

The retail building behind the Klutho Apartments would be perfect for a small Publix similar to the one in Riverside.

With the plans for the parks along Hogan's Creek being hashed out, rumor that the Parkview is coming down and that there is light at the end of the tunnel for Main Street, maybe, just maybe there is hope after all.
Born cold, wet, and crying; Gonzo has never-the-less risen to the pinnacle of the beer-loving world. You can read his dubious insights at www.JaxBeerGuy.com (click the BLOG link).