Author Topic: Is Springfield a viable retail market?  (Read 117074 times)

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
Re: Is Springfield a viable retail market?
« Reply #300 on: July 30, 2014, 06:14:57 PM »
Iconic, shuttered Pearl Club to turn into yoga studio

The once-popular Pearl Club off Main Street in Springfield will soon be home to a yoga studio and eatery.
Wilson Kaiser bought the historic building at 1101 N Main St. two months ago for $195,000. Kaiser said the new operation, which has been approved for changes by the city’s historical commission, will be a collaboration of three businesses.

“The heart is a yoga studio, but that’s only part of it,” Kaiser said. “There’s going to be a full service café with food and different drinks, as well as a wine bar.”

full article: http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2014/07/30/iconic-shuttered-pearl-club-to-turn-into-yoga.html
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JayBird

• Back in home state - After living in Jax 10 years
« Reply #301 on: July 30, 2014, 06:20:52 PM »
most of them had no help from SPAR, btw.  Wonder why Bill is out in front of this?

And just when I was about to comment on how this is also a booster shot for SPAR bc media and social networks are touting their success right now. If they weren't involved, that's a shame bc it would've been wonderful opportunity. I wasn't around for their ... debacles ... but I've always hoped they'd stage a comeback and be the pushing force of revitalization for the neighborhood.

Doesn't take away from the excitement of this news though.
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #302 on: July 30, 2014, 07:03:49 PM »
OF course the expansion at Uptown has a lot to do with the disappearance of City Kidz ice cream and sandwich shop and the vacant space just sitting there with no potential leasers.

City Kidz's owner's health is the reason why they closed.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

strider

« Reply #303 on: July 30, 2014, 07:36:38 PM »
While SPAR, or rather a few involved with SPAR, have done some pretty good things for some of the businesses wishing to locate in Historic Springfield, the biggest issue is how they immediately approach with suspicion and then, if you are OK in their book and want to play by their rules, then things are pretty good.  If you are not what they want or do not want to play by their rules, well, they can go all torches and pitchforks on you.  Or, as they seem to be trying to do more recently, talk nice to your face and then.... well, let's just say they don't play very very nice behind those closed doors.  It just seems that some involved and primarily the current leadership are not very accepting of things or people they do not like.   They have been this way for decades and just think back to how populated Main Street was in the boom years. (it was worse than it is today...) Goes to show how successful this type of attitude truly is.

Rather than credit SPAR, I would think the true credit for the renewed interest in Main Street goes to John Wells and the Main Street Cruise, the lowered rents and capital costs and the influx of new and younger residents of all social economic groups coming into the area due to the more reasonable 2003 ish prices.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:38:38 PM by strider »
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #304 on: July 30, 2014, 08:04:40 PM »
OF course the expansion at Uptown has a lot to do with the disappearance of City Kidz ice cream and sandwich shop

Unfortunately, Pastor Bush suffered a serious health incident and could no longer operate the business.  He's a good guy, I miss the shop.. but more importantly I hope that he and his family can recover from the health-related challenges they are facing right now.

They are really nice people.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #305 on: July 30, 2014, 08:08:47 PM »
While SPAR, or rather a few involved with SPAR, have done some pretty good things for some of the businesses wishing to locate in Historic Springfield, the biggest issue is how they immediately approach with suspicion and then, if you are OK in their book and want to play by their rules, then things are pretty good.  If you are not what they want or do not want to play by their rules, well, they can go all torches and pitchforks on you.  Or, as they seem to be trying to do more recently, talk nice to your face and then.... well, let's just say they don't play very very nice behind those closed doors.  It just seems that some involved and primarily the current leadership are not very accepting of things or people they do not like.   They have been this way for decades and just think back to how populated Main Street was in the boom years. (it was worse than it is today...) Goes to show how successful this type of attitude truly is.

Rather than credit SPAR, I would think the true credit for the renewed interest in Main Street goes to John Wells and the Main Street Cruise, the lowered rents and capital costs and the influx of new and younger residents of all social economic groups coming into the area due to the more reasonable 2003 ish prices.

Sounds a lot like the mob!

Bill Hoff

« Reply #306 on: July 30, 2014, 08:11:21 PM »
OF course the expansion at Uptown has a lot to do with the disappearance of City Kidz ice cream and sandwich shop and the vacant space just sitting there with no potential leasers.

City Kidz's owner's health is the reason why they closed.

Speaking of 3rd & Main, I believe their commercial spaces are all leased up now: Uptown just committed long term, Terra Wise & Reputation Ink just moved in, Feature 23 has a space, and Sweet Pete's is doing manufacturing in the former City Kidz space.

Stephen: Your fictional tall tales of what goes on in SPR are enthralling, as usual. I'm entertained.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #307 on: July 31, 2014, 09:20:25 AM »
Here's more local media on the new businesses making their way to SPR.

First Coast News video: http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/local/2014/07/30/boosting-business-in-springfield/13381587/

WJXT story: http://www.news4jax.com/news/new-businesses-for-springfield/27239744

Wil's project at 1st & Main (in video) should start work next month.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #308 on: July 31, 2014, 09:27:22 AM »
OF course the expansion at Uptown has a lot to do with the disappearance of City Kidz ice cream and sandwich shop

Unfortunately, Pastor Bush suffered a serious health incident and could no longer operate the business.  He's a good guy, I miss the shop.. but more importantly I hope that he and his family can recover from the health-related challenges they are facing right now.

They are really nice people.

Yes.  I was sad to hear, and hope the best for him as well.  (as I think pretty much everyone who knows him does)

Just remarking on the background of retail in the neighborhood.

Btw, has anyone in the neighborhood done a fundraiser or anything for him?  He did donate a lot of time and space to the community.  In most places there would have already been an event.

I'm not sure but he and his wife are pretty good people. Perhaps we should. What do you have in mind?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #309 on: July 31, 2014, 09:42:27 AM »
I'm not sure they need advertising but I'll try to contact his wife and see how we can best help.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #310 on: July 31, 2014, 09:53:29 AM »
I'm not sure they need advertising but I'll try to contact his wife and see how we can best help.

Lake, SAMBA was planning a bbq competition to benefit the family at one point. They may have done some of the foot work already.

JaxUnicorn

« Reply #311 on: July 31, 2014, 10:16:38 AM »
I think doing something to help the family is a great idea and think before anything is done we (someone) needs to find out what they need, if anything.  :)
Kim Pryor...Historic Springfield Resident...PSOS Founding Member

Bill Hoff

« Reply #312 on: July 31, 2014, 11:01:51 AM »
I'd defer to those who have already done some planning on this subject. But, as always, I'd be happy to pitch in where I can.

Cary

« Reply #313 on: July 31, 2014, 12:24:34 PM »
I respectfully disagree with the way that Stephen Dare consistently attacks Bill Hoff.  I do not think that it is appropriate or professional.  If you knew how much he does for our neighborhood, you would be ashamed of your numerous personal attacks.

Cary

« Reply #314 on: July 31, 2014, 12:37:52 PM »
Stephen, the world is not all Christian and even those that have moral values sometimes have a lot on their plate. I am asked constantly to donate my time and efforts, but I chose to limit my participation so that I can spend quality time with my family (who is my first priority). 

Your use of sarcasm is noted, however, not respected.