Author Topic: Is Springfield a viable retail market?  (Read 116634 times)

CityLife

Re: Is Springfield a viable retail market?
« Reply #210 on: November 24, 2010, 03:15:22 PM »
good.  I hope you do, the offer is sincere, once you cross over into the real world of business you have my sympathy! ;) (and pretty much every other businessperson out there---almost like a support group)

Not to brag...but I've been in the real world of business...

In this day and age it takes a rare breed to open a small business, so I imagine there is a pretty tight bond between business owners. Kind of like a support group for the mentally ill.

It rapidly becomes that.  If you don't mind sharing, what kind of business have you been in?  I wasnt referring to a lack of past experience, incidentally, just the state of going into your own business, no matter how many priors you have already racked up on your record. ;)

I prefer to be a man of mystery...

But seriously, I worked for Fidelity Investments as a stock trader for a year or so after college, was doing well there, but hated working a soulless job and quit to go grad school in urban planning.

I've always been a bit of an entrepreneur of sorts and ran a pretty successful EBAY business when I was in college...Of course that doesn't compare to running a music venue, but I won't be doing that. I'll just be helping my friends here and there.

CS Foltz

« Reply #211 on: November 24, 2010, 06:26:02 PM »
Springfield has potential, no doubt in my mind, but the idiots at JTA see fit to just change bus routes when they wish? This makes me wonder just how they decide to play musical routes? Its bad enough there is no where near the covered bus stops required for 1800 some odd stops, but these clowns dictate just where bus's will stop on a whim? It would seem to me, the public should have a say in where any stops should be installed or discontinued................for this we get the state to pay their way? I get tired of all of these so-called independent agencies deciding for me where what and when..........but I get to pay for it! BOOZO'S plain and simple!............transportation planning group huh..........yea right!

iloveionia

« Reply #212 on: December 15, 2010, 11:44:20 PM »
Southern California is about as diverse and eclectic as you can get. 

Springfield exudes potential.  The boat has been missed to many times or too many people have been thrown overboard without a life jacket. 

Take Old Town Orange:
http://www.otpa.org/home.html
http://www.cityoforange.org/about/points_of_interest.asp#shopping

"Residents and visitors have repeatedly voted historic Old Towne as Orange County’s favorite downtown. The plaza conjures up images of Main Street, USA complete with outdoor dining, specialty shops, and the central plaza park. More than 60 antique dealers line the downtown streets, making Orange the antique capital of Southern California. "

Or take Old Town Pasadena:
http://www.oldpasadena.org/index.asp

They have a mix of high end stores and mom/pop stores, plus a zillion other cool places.

Or the Gaslamp Quarter in San Diego:
http://www.gaslamp.org/

Horton Plaza and the Petco Stadium are close/contained within.

I'll bet that most all reading this have heard of one of these 3 places, maybe even visited.  A great big DUH, but without a vibrant commercial corridor (Main/8th) Springfield will remain nameless.  So much potential, it is really a shame.

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #213 on: December 29, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »
Those boycotts worked out well, huh? Main street is almost completely vacant.

Funny thing is, once you get past the MLK expressway (e.g., beyond SPAR's reach) the businesses pick back up.

Wonder why that is?

letters and numbers

« Reply #214 on: December 30, 2010, 12:54:32 PM »

Funny thing is, once you get past the MLK expressway (e.g., beyond SPAR's reach) the businesses pick back up.

Wonder why that is?

Hey im probably going to buy a house in springfield this year and friends are going to soon. I know there aresome awesome businesses in the nieghborhood but not on Main street.

Why is that?

I read back posts and it reads like a Hionedes person and Spar have had problems with things. Is this this still happening? i met people in spar and they semmed like they are trying to do different things for main street all sorts of stuff. Bbut i dont know anything about the hionedes person. Maybe ill open a business there!

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #215 on: December 30, 2010, 03:10:46 PM »

Wonder why that is?

Hey im probably going to buy a house in springfield this year and friends are going to soon. I know there aresome awesome businesses in the nieghborhood but not on Main street.

Why is that?

I read back posts and it reads like a Hionedes person and Spar have had problems with things. Is this this still happening? i met people in spar and they semmed like they are trying to do different things for main street all sorts of stuff. Bbut i dont know anything about the hionedes person. Maybe ill open a business there!

Hionedes cleaned up his act. He was a land-banker who would buy things and sit on them, and for years that worked out alright. Then the economy soured and values began declining and he had to hire a new property manager who actually doesn't feel it's beneath her to lease a place out. Which was a major improvement over the old one. Hionedes was never the problem that SPAR was.

Regarding SPAR, they say they're doing X, Y, and Z but so far the only thing that has come to (some rather ironic) fruition is the project by Robert VanWinkle to renovate the former Park View Inn site. SPAR pulled out every dirty trick in the book on this guy, trying to have the site demolished. I guess they wanted it to match all the vacant lots they created in Springfield. But he had more money than they did. Also their attempts to have the property declared an EPA hazard backfired when their repeated complaints succeeded in getting most of the neighborhood tagged, not just that site. Now he's the only development happening on Main Street. Expect them to try and take credit for it when it's finished. Seriously comical.

I keep hearing about this new leaf SPAR is turning over, but they somewhat recently filed a zoning appeal trying to stop a car-wash from opening, even though it had been a car wash since the 1950s and that certainly didn't stop them from moving in. Lol. I guess what I'm saying with SPAR is, believe it only when (really more like "if") you see it.

jason_contentdg

« Reply #216 on: December 30, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »

Wonder why that is?

Why is that?

Hionedes cleaned up his act. He was a land-banker who would buy things and sit on them, and for years that worked out alright. Then the economy soured and values began declining and he had to hire a new property manager who actually doesn't feel it's beneath her to lease a place out. Which was a major improvement over the old one. Hionedes was never the problem that SPAR was.

People are still having issues trying to contact Petra about Springfield properties, though...

jason_contentdg

« Reply #217 on: December 30, 2010, 04:19:29 PM »
They cant be trying too hard then.  They are remarkably easy to contact.

They gave up after multiple phone calls and emails.

I've left a couple messages myself.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 04:21:53 PM by jason_contentdg »

iloveionia

« Reply #218 on: December 30, 2010, 04:52:15 PM »
I've had experiences of being ignored by phone and email. So I just show up at the front door.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #219 on: December 30, 2010, 10:15:49 PM »
I think it is, absolutely a viable retail market. The problems are myriad and should be addressed by the neighborhood groups and COJ as well as JTA.  Y'all know I wouldn't hesitate to visit a store in Springfield, Durkeeville or Moncrief, but many, perhaps hundreds of my neighbors won't. For those that miss the Indie-artsy-eclectic experiences the loss is theirs but it also hurts business, it's the same old safety perception argument that many toss at downtown, UNSAFE. A bit of reason from the screen play "Trading Places." and it could have been spoken by half the residents of WGV, Nocatee, Palencia, Ponte Vedra, Bay Meadows etc...

It was a dream.
I dreamt the whole thing.
It was just a bad dream.

Coleman, I've had
the most absurd nightmare.

I was poor and no one liked me
I lost my job, I lost my house.
Penelope hated me.

And it was all because
of this terrible, awful Negro.

- Oh dear!
- lt...was...the...Dukes.

So will having a "terrible awful Negro," as a customer kill Springfield Business? Not a chance, but having the perception of homelessness, crime, and filth will kill it every time. Springfield is at a handicap not shared by San Marco, Riverside or Avondale, it is between the missions downtown and the State Charity Hospital and VA and Health Department Clinics.  You also have some issues with the East Side some of which has gone to hell in a hand basket, including a large homeless camp along the abandoned railroad that forms the eastern boundary of Springfield, and down on Union Street. So at all hours anyone needing anything like medical care, check ups, or just hanging with friends that are getting those services are trotting across Springfield.

Just based on this, Springfield is going to need a gimmick to get over the slump not shared by its sister neighborhoods, and that AFTER a general continuing clean-up.

So here's the idea, return "THE MOST BEAUTIFUL STREETCAR LINE IN THE WORLD," to Main Street, between Orange and 8Th and on 8Th to the Shand's/VA complex. Streetcar combined with the period buildings in ANY of our historic neighborhoods would create instant investment opportunities that come with their own built in traffic source.

The second streetcar line would run north from the old Union Street Warehouses straight north to 21St street on the old railroad right-of-way. What is today a mis-mash of ugly littered woods and abandoned warehouses could be turned into a broad green scape that runs the length of the community. Beyond 21St the old railroad curves over to Gateway Mall. In one swoop, with 2 car lines, you have provided a real transportation option for those foot commuters, and you have connected the stadiums with Gateway Mall, Shand's, and downtown, creating a dynamic development engine.

I think it will fly Wilbur, let's dust off some idea's for that long abandoned railroad strip.

OCKLAWAHA

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #220 on: December 27, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »
I think 3 of the 8 shown in those pics are closed, unless something closed recently that I'm not aware of.  Another (Adel's) relocated to the former Payless shoe store building at 11th & Main, which happened to be vacant at the time those pics were taken.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #221 on: December 27, 2011, 11:21:24 AM »
Btw, I still believe that if more focus was given to existing businesses and using them as anchors to build upon, a few of the closed shown in the images above may have still been in business today.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #222 on: August 01, 2013, 01:37:27 PM »
Half of them anyway.  It's a shame.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #223 on: August 21, 2013, 09:03:01 PM »
Half of them anyway.  It's a shame.

Turnover over five years is typical.  Pics from Five Points in 2008 will also reveal several businesses that don't exist anymore.  However, for the most part, they were replaced and additional infill has taken place.  I think the question that needs to be asked is what's stopped additional growth along Main Street and what can be done to resolve that particular issue (or set of issues).  The same question needs to be asked for DT as well.

FSBA

« Reply #224 on: August 21, 2013, 09:25:21 PM »
There was a comment in this thread about how well Main St was doing north of MLK to the Trout River. What are you talking about? Using the same 5 year standard the following businesses have closed

Food Lion
Jackie's Seafood (later reopened as Fella's and closed again)
ABC Liqour
McDonalds
Jax Bargain Plywood
Another hardware store closed on 48th and Main, I forget what its name was

The only businesses of any substance that have opened are
Save-A-Lot reopened in the old Food Lion. However, they're only using roughly half the foot print. I have trouble seeing what else might go there.

Hip Hop Chicken
Alexander's Grill (If there is a Part 3 to the Hole in a Wall series, these guys deserve a shout out. Good wings and very generous with portions)
I support meaningless jingoistic cliches