Author Topic: Is Springfield a viable retail market?  (Read 116649 times)

sheclown

Re: Is Springfield a viable retail market?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008, 09:42:50 PM »
Downtown Dweller,   If they are buying stolen goods, the law needs to be called.  They are required to keep records.  The ones you refuse to patronize, do you know for a fact that they are dealing in stolen goods?  Here again, illegal activity, when confronted with one's own eyes (as opposed to rumor-has-it) needs to be dealt with. 

sheclown

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008, 10:06:48 PM »
So you promote the three legit pawn shops and soon pawn shop number 4 will want to be included...

zoo

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 10:51:24 AM »
I cuss and am loud sometimes, too. But I don't do it in front of my kids -- when they pick up some of these things, and I'm sure they will from people in any one of their environments (whether it's our neighborhood, or their schools), I hope they'll at least do it out of rebellion, carelessness, and maybe even anger, rather than because they think it is part of their/my value system.

I do teach my kids to not judge a book by it's cover. When we're out in our neighborhood, we say "hi" to everyone who isn't engaging in activities that fit that paragraph of descriptions. When they ask why the person in front of us stinks, I answer that they just haven't had their bath yet today. When they ask who someone we say hi to is, I tell them their name if I know it, or I tell them it's a neighbor.

Again, I'm happy that my kids will be exposed to SOME values that may not be consistent with my own. But I still stand by my right as a parent to dislike openly displayed behaviors that fit into the categories in my previous post. For the Zoo family, it's not about race or class -- it is about values.

RiversideGator

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 10:55:38 AM »
In springfield's case, zoo.  Especially considering that the pawn shops own the buildings. How would you suggest that a positive outcome happen?

As long as Springfield continues to gentrify, the customers for these "shops" will eventually no longer live in the neighborhood.  Then, they will give in and sell their buildings at a profit and move their quasi-illicit (if they are dealing in stolen property they should be prosecuted) businesses elsewhere.  This is the way forward.  And, all neighbors now living in the Springfield who support the rehabilitation of the neighborhood should have an absolute boycott of these places.

sheclown

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 01:14:03 PM »
Okay, let's have a look at those "family values" --geez...where have I heard THAT before?

BTW, be careful of having the TV on, or watching movies with them in the house.  You certainly don't want to have the radio on while you are driving them to school.  No Folio either.

Speaking of stinky people -- that old lady that sits in the pew in front of me at church really wears too much flowery-smelling perfume.  It makes my eyes water.

Your space ends where you end.  Other people's space begins where they begin.  Unless they are breaking the law, their space is not your space.

Downtown Dweller

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
Ok, now I really have to say something. "My space" as you put it should not be intruded on by complete strangers that walk up to me and my small children and begin a conversation such as : "MFer....is that a MFing dog? Sh****T what kinda MFing dog is that? I aint never Fing seen a Fing Bi**ch like that MFer there"

And that is a nice conversation; this IS an infringement on my rights and the right of my family to take a walk down the sidewalk that btw, my taxes are paying to upkeep. Should people be able to do their own thing, OF COURSE, but NOT when it infringes on common decent rights of everyone else to enjoy the space. I get this kind of language when I am sitting in my own front yard, much less walking down the sidewalk, the aisle at the grocery store, or even at the playground in the park. "family values" as you put it may not mean much to you, but me....I have a responsibility to my children to ensure they grow up and can at lest speak the English language, and hopefully be an asset to society.

If you or anyone else wants to butcher the English language may I suggest doing it in your own car, home, or yard and keep it away from the rest of us, especially are small children. This is the epitome of selfishness if you ask me, but of course you didn’t. Since it appears everything to you is about class war, well if the application of common sense, curtsey and decency when addressing a five year old is a “class issue”  I am really naïve, I didn’t think poor  meant rude, selfish, and stupid, and no matter what you say I still don’t. ::)

sheclown

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 03:59:06 PM »

If you or anyone else wants to butcher the English language may I suggest doing it in your own car, home, or yard and keep it away from the rest of us, especially are small children.

Okay, does anyone else see the irony in this statement?

Downtown Dweller

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 04:20:22 PM »
True, sorry everyone for getting so worked up. I just feel passionately about my children. I am really frustrated at the language they are exposed to, whether on the street or in their own yard. I have even heard little children their age using this same language in the park! I have been known to drop a few cuss words myself, but it isn’t par tof my everyday language, and I can ask a civil question without using the MF five times.

Sorry again for getting so heated
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

sheclown

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 04:25:14 PM »
DD, I am also sorry if I trip over my soap-box.  I can be so booorrriing sometimes (and yes, everything seems to be a class war with me).  

The most beautiful thing happens to a man when he has a child.  (I'm mean usually here).  He becomes a hero and wants the world to be a better place for them.  So, that's just down right perfect as it should be.  BUT, when the little ones become a bit older, then can we argue over "family values?"

Downtown Dweller

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 04:32:54 PM »
DD, I am also sorry if I trip over my soap-box.  I can be so booorrriing sometimes (and yes, everything seems to be a class war with me).  

The most beautiful thing happens to a man when he has a child.  (I'm mean usually here).  He becomes a hero and wants the world to be a better place for them.  So, that's just down right perfect as it should be.  BUT, when the little ones become a bit older, then can we argue over "family values?"

Absolutely, and you may be surprised in that I most likely will agree with your stance. ;)

sheclown

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 05:31:02 PM »
this is the street with all the damned buildings on it, can anyone identify the pawn shops owned by the pawn shops?

That picture is just sad.  I think the Pawn shops are the least of the problems.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 06:24:11 PM »
In reality, Springfield is a small section of Urban Jacksonville and Main Street is the lifeblood that connects a large population base between the Trout River and Downtown.  Economy and road construction aside (those are real issues Main must address), a viable business should be able to open up an establishment on Main and not have to rely only on the few people who live within the neighbohood's boundaries. 

The chains are there because they have a product that can pull from the surrounding neighborhoods.  Carl's and Jim Brown's, Three Layers and The Pearl all do the same and are very successful at what they do.  To me, having a viable business plan that attracts "outsiders" is the main key to success for any operation considering opening up on or near Main Street.  Having the power to pull in "outsiders" trumps the few band of fanatics who may decide to boycott your establishment for whatever reason.  If a few want to be like that, give them the finger, concentrate on perfecting your business and keep the cash rolling in.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 06:52:02 PM »
then its not really a 'viable' retail market.

Every new business would have to be able to succeed even it were on the outskirts of town and you had to pass a checkpoint to get there.

It may not for a Ruth Chris or Urban Outfitters, but its just as viable as any other typical Jacksonville retail strip.  Ultimately, it depends on what you're selling and if you're in the right location for that intended demographic.  Go ask the workers at Popeye's or the Chicken Koop if its a viable market. 

Those would be non location specific businesses and wouldnt effect whether or not 'springfield is a viable retail market'  As presently constituted, for the reasons listed.  It just isnt.

I disagree.  Popeye's would do half the business it does now if it were located on East 8th, near the railroad tracks.  There's also a reason they have a location there and not in Ponte Vedra or the Southside.  Its a viable market for what they are selling and the demographic they are targeting.  Ponte Vedra isn't, but it is for Ruth Chris.

The proof is in the pudding.  and in the picture.

Carl's, the daycare and the pawn shops do good business.  Drop the lease rates (they are a bit high), help the business owners fix up their facades & signage, complete the streetscape, get the section 8 housing out of that old Klutho building and it will be just fine.

It has all the makings of one though.

It is one.  It just may not be the type certain people want it to be.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

AlexS

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 09:07:42 PM »
I mean to say that if it werent for the counterproductive politics of the neighborhood, like the lack of communication between the african american community and the SPAR renovating community, and the all out war and/or boycott of half the businesses on main street at any time, it would ALREADY be a thriving district.
Who is responsible for these "counterproductive politics" ?
What can be done to improve communication between the african american community and the SPAR renovating community (if there even is such a thing) ?

sheclown

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 09:11:50 PM »
class war