Author Topic: Is Springfield a viable retail market?  (Read 117054 times)

ChriswUfGator

Re: Is Springfield a viable retail market?
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2010, 08:41:26 AM »
Well looks like SPAR screwed everyone yet again with their asinine quest to get rid of 'undesirables'...

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2010, 08:44:48 AM »
From what I have heard there may be some local residents stepping up to cover the cost of the lights in the median being lit all the time. There are two grids. 1st-6th and 6th-12th. The cost as it has been estimated is approximately $150 a month per grid. This keeps the lights on till midnight.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #197 on: November 23, 2010, 08:57:51 AM »
BRT down Main St...it isnt too late!

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #198 on: November 23, 2010, 09:22:19 AM »
OK...streetcars it is! What did JEDC say about it?

movedsouth

• Preservation SOS
« Reply #199 on: November 23, 2010, 10:01:06 AM »
based on my roundtable notes: Streetcars or any expansion like that will have to wait until the courthouse is finished. I guess to include the court house traffic in the new routes.

Ethylene

« Reply #200 on: November 23, 2010, 10:03:20 AM »
Not meaning to get off track to the thread, but why doesn't the city pay for the lights?  A community not for profit has to pay?  Really?  What is wrong with the city?  Ridiculous.

Jacksonhelle!

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #201 on: November 23, 2010, 10:09:30 AM »
based on my roundtable notes: Streetcars or any expansion like that will have to wait until the courthouse is finished. I guess to include the court house traffic in the new routes.

This is where better coordination between public agencies is needed.  Streetcars and mobility have little to do with the construction of the county courthouse.  The conceptual routes have already been proposed and various funding sources are already being lined up to come into play (same goes for BRT and the skyway, which already exists).  Regardless of if the courthouse opens in 2012 or 2035, our agencies should be working together to make sure we're taking full advantage of all mobility based projects to ensure that true pedestrian scale connectivity occurs with all projects (private and public sector). 
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

nvrenuf

« Reply #202 on: November 23, 2010, 11:19:24 AM »
As I recall, it seems the bus stop conversation was regarding 8th St not Main. Who at JTA can provide the reason Main St stops were removed?

sheclown

« Reply #203 on: November 23, 2010, 07:34:57 PM »
I've never heard of any discussions about moving the bus stops at a SPAR meeting.  However, the only SPAR meetings I attended were about rooming houses :)  I did attend a SHADCO meeting where the crowd thought moving the bus stops was a good idea.  JSO promoted it, actually. 

We've had threads on here about reducing the number of bus stops as a way to eliminate "loitering".

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 07:36:29 PM by sheclown »

nvrenuf

« Reply #204 on: November 23, 2010, 08:43:11 PM »
I've never heard of any discussions about moving the bus stops at a SPAR meeting.  However, the only SPAR meetings I attended were about rooming houses :)  I did attend a SHADCO meeting where the crowd thought moving the bus stops was a good idea.  JSO promoted it, actually. 

We've had threads on here about reducing the number of bus stops as a way to eliminate "loitering".

Yep, that's the meeting I remember too at SHADCO.

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #205 on: November 23, 2010, 10:10:21 PM »
Yes
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

CityLife

« Reply #206 on: November 24, 2010, 01:53:31 PM »
What was the cost of SPAR's anti business, lynch mob mentality on this district.

Well its hard to measure the costs of missed opportunities, but 'districts' tend to happen one at a time, and at the same time that SPAR was declaring war on everyone, King Street had a similar inventory of dilapidated buildings and unused spaces.

Three years later:

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-nov-intuition-ale-works-grand-opening-november-20-2010

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-jun-new-projects-venues-make-a-king-street-district

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2008-may-bold-city-brewery-coming-to-riverside

Here is a quote from Ben Davis to me:

"I'm pretty much set with the location in Riverside. It is a mile from my home which is key after a long brew day!

Springfield is a very cool area. Uptown market is our regular Sunday breakfast spot. I agree there are some awesome warehouses but I really wanted to be close to home when push came to shove."

I've had similar responses from other food/drink/entertainment operators about Springfield.

I'm also willing to bet that King Street and the Riverside warehouse district didn't have as high a level of real estate speculation as Springfield did.

I'm working with friends of mine to open a live music/entertainment venue in Springfield, but it isn't quite as easy as one would think...

CityLife

« Reply #207 on: November 24, 2010, 02:08:03 PM »
What was the cost of SPAR's anti business, lynch mob mentality on this district.

Well its hard to measure the costs of missed opportunities, but 'districts' tend to happen one at a time, and at the same time that SPAR was declaring war on everyone, King Street had a similar inventory of dilapidated buildings and unused spaces.

Three years later:

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-nov-intuition-ale-works-grand-opening-november-20-2010

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2010-jun-new-projects-venues-make-a-king-street-district

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2008-may-bold-city-brewery-coming-to-riverside

Here is a quote from Ben Davis to me:

"I'm pretty much set with the location in Riverside. It is a mile from my home which is key after a long brew day!

Springfield is a very cool area. Uptown market is our regular Sunday breakfast spot. I agree there are some awesome warehouses but I really wanted to be close to home when push came to shove."

I've had similar responses from other food/drink/entertainment operators about Springfield.

I'm also willing to bet that King Street and the Riverside warehouse district didn't have as high a level of real estate speculation as Springfield did.

I'm working with friends of mine to open a live music/entertainment venue in Springfield, but it isn't quite as easy as one would think...

yeah, no kidding its not as easy.  Hopefully you will review some of your past statements re boomtown and the other establishments that actually did it.

The real estate speculation was driven largely by the group of people who controlled SPAR.  Of course they all disappeared the minute the market went down.

Past statements regarding Boomtown?

There aren't any venues in Springfield that draw national level acts, so not sure there is really a precedent for what my friends and I are trying to do.

The real estate speculation on Main Street was not driven by people who control SPAR...

CityLife

« Reply #208 on: November 24, 2010, 02:20:29 PM »
Well actually we did pull in national acts, City Life.  There is definitely precedent, lol,

But it is a difficult business to get into, and it takes a lot of hard work, and its a cash eating machine.

The people who drove the speculation do not presently control SPAR, obviously.

None of them are left. after subverting the organization they bailed when the easy money dried up.

Definitely wish you good luck, consider me a resource if I can offer any practical advice.

I was in college during Boomtown's run, so wouldn't know. My bad. Who were some of the more notable acts?

It is definitely a difficult business, but fortunately the guys have some experience and some friends in the music industry.

Thanks for the offer and I'll take that up if things start to come to fruition.

CityLife

« Reply #209 on: November 24, 2010, 02:49:18 PM »
good.  I hope you do, the offer is sincere, once you cross over into the real world of business you have my sympathy! ;) (and pretty much every other businessperson out there---almost like a support group)

Not to brag...but I've been in the real world of business...

In this day and age it takes a rare breed to open a small business, so I imagine there is a pretty tight bond between business owners. Kind of like a support group for the mentally ill.