Author Topic: Is Springfield a viable retail market?  (Read 116761 times)

DDC

Re: Is Springfield a viable retail market?
« Reply #285 on: May 26, 2014, 10:19:37 PM »
Interesting. Of all the above shops, only Krystals and Hola are open.

Adels is open at Cottage and Main. Something, I think a thrift shop is in Pasco Hardware. The place with the flags and no name is Island Tropics at 16th and Main, is open unless it closed sometime recently.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

AuditoreEnterprise

• audentes fortuna juvat
« Reply #286 on: May 27, 2014, 01:51:54 AM »
I got food poisoning from krystals there on Friday evening... hopefully I'm a rare case but they will be closed if that happens to a few more people...
"Aiming to build a better community one stone at a time"

CHECK US OUT ON FACEBOOK

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #287 on: May 27, 2014, 06:42:42 AM »

Adels is open at Cottage and Main. Something, I think a thrift shop is in Pasco Hardware. The place with the flags and no name is Island Tropics at 16th and Main, is open unless it closed sometime recently.

Yeah, Main is about the same as it was when I made that post six years ago.....which isn't saying much. A few places have closed and a few have opened. The same could be said about most places in town, outside of Regency Mall. The key for Main is to find a way to have double, triple or more the amount of openings as closings during the same time period.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

valashay

« Reply #288 on: May 27, 2014, 07:53:34 AM »
Yes.. Carl's on 8th and Main is open...Wafa is open for business Tunis is open ...we have a Massage Salon...if more viable businesses come we will support.

Noone

« Reply #289 on: May 27, 2014, 07:54:49 AM »
A viable retail market? Remember 2013-384 a year ago and the armory for a buck and zero access to Hogans Creek. imagine an organic, spontaneous, cluster of positive active interaction with a node of transient (Food Truck, Bike, Kayak)retail engagement.

Tacachale

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: May 27, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »

Yeah, Main is about the same as it was when I made that post six years ago.....which isn't saying much. A few places have closed and a few have opened. The same could be said about most places in town, outside of Regency Mall. The key for Main is to find a way to have double, triple or more the amount of openings as closings during the same time period.

That will definitely be the key, unfortunately it doesn't seem there's much inclination to help it along.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

mtraininjax

« Reply #291 on: May 28, 2014, 07:17:03 AM »
Yeah, Main is about the same as it was when I made that post six years ago.....which isn't saying much.

You think the economy and current conditions of Main Street go hand in hand? Our economy is improving all over the city, it will improve in Springfield too, when people feel more confident. It will happen. It will come back.
And, that $115 will save Jacksonville from financial ruin. - Mayor John Peyton

“This is a game-changer. This is what I mean when I say taking Jacksonville to the next level.”
-Mayor Alvin Brown on new video boards at Everbank Field

JayBird

• Back in home state - After living in Jax 10 years
« Reply #292 on: July 29, 2014, 04:08:43 PM »
My phone is being finicky today and doesn't seem to want to cut and paste a link, but JBJ has a great article about some new retail coming to Springfield.Highlights: a hookah bar moving into the eclectic purple bldg on Main, a reuse for The Pearl (which I thought would sit vacant for years), and new neighborhood retail on Pearl Street.

Addendum: I know this thread is long, but it seems apt. I hate when you have to jump multiple threads of people repeating same stuff looking for new info mixed in.
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

AuditoreEnterprise

• audentes fortuna juvat
« Reply #293 on: July 29, 2014, 04:36:19 PM »
My phone is being finicky today and doesn't seem to want to cut and paste a link, but JBJ has a great article about some new retail coming to Springfield.Highlights: a hookah bar moving into the eclectic purple bldg on Main, a reuse for The Pearl (which I thought would sit vacant for years), and new neighborhood retail on Pearl Street.

Addendum: I know this thread is long, but it seems apt. I hate when you have to jump multiple threads of people repeating same stuff looking for new info mixed in.

from what I have heard the pearl is going to be some sort of Co-op place it is a cool building indeed.
"Aiming to build a better community one stone at a time"

CHECK US OUT ON FACEBOOK

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #294 on: July 29, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »

Here you go!

New life coming to Main Street with retail shop announcements

A long beleaguered neighborhood of the urban core is seeing new life, with several retail outlets announcing plans to move into the Springfield neighborhood.

Over the next six months, at least four businesses plan on opening up in the neighborhood, including three on Main Street.

One of those new shops, the Serenity Tea and Hookah Lounge at 1715 N. Main St., will open its doors in early September.

The lounge will offer a variety of foods and desserts, as well as wine, beer, tea and coffee, owner Gail Harris said. The shop will also offer free Wi-Fi, live music, entertainment and, of course, a vast array of hookah flavors.

A few blocks away from Main Street, The Birdhouse Café will set up shop in the former Fusion Art Wine Jazz bar at 1827 N Pearl St. The cafe will offer food, live music, beer and wine.

full article: http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2014/07/29/new-life-coming-to-main-street-with-retail-shop.html
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #295 on: July 29, 2014, 09:41:18 PM »
More from the JBJ...

What Main Street announcements mean for Springfield

Plans by a handful of retailers to set up shop on and near Main Street may be signs of life for the Springfield neighborhood, which has struggled to attract a critical mass of businesses.

“There are a lot of cool things happening in Springfield,” said Bill Hoff, president of the Springfield Preservation and Revitalization group. “A lot of them are still working on the final product, but in six months there should be quite a few new shops."

full article: http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2014/07/29/what-main-street-announcements-mean-for.html

JayBird

• Back in home state - After living in Jax 10 years
« Reply #296 on: July 29, 2014, 09:53:43 PM »
^that was it, thanks Lake  :)
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

Bill Hoff

« Reply #297 on: July 30, 2014, 07:52:54 AM »
More from the JBJ...

What Main Street announcements mean for Springfield

Plans by a handful of retailers to set up shop on and near Main Street may be signs of life for the Springfield neighborhood, which has struggled to attract a critical mass of businesses.

“There are a lot of cool things happening in Springfield,” said Bill Hoff, president of the Springfield Preservation and Revitalization group. “A lot of them are still working on the final product, but in six months there should be quite a few new shops."

full article: http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2014/07/29/what-main-street-announcements-mean-for.html

In addition to what was mentioned in the article, The St. Augustine Paper Company purchased a store front on the 1500 block of Main for a satellite location, new offices going in at 5th & Main, martial arts biz relocating next to Avela Day Spa on the 1400 block of Main, and a regularly scheduled farmer's market-ish event will be starting in the Fall.

Good to see new ventures on Main Street.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:20:17 AM by Bill Hoff »

ChriswUfGator

« Reply #298 on: July 30, 2014, 08:06:57 AM »
most of them had no help from SPAR, btw.  Wonder why Bill is out in front of this?

Good question.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #299 on: July 30, 2014, 11:44:46 AM »
You should see some local television news coverage of this soon, as well.