Author Topic: Is Springfield a viable retail market?  (Read 117070 times)

strider

Re: Is Springfield a viable retail market?
« Reply #270 on: August 31, 2013, 08:07:06 AM »
While a million may be high for the old Earl Horne building, it is not unusual for an owner to want back what he paid for it.   Today, that often doesn't work out too well.  That said, I wonder what is really going on with this building  as the taxes have not been paid for four years and back taxes are at about $52K.  The tax info states the LLC is in bankruptcy and so I question the info given by Petra about it. 

Prior Year Taxes Due
Year     Folio     Status     Cert.     Cert. Yr.     Amount     
2012    1114001    BK    0    0    $12,168.43    
2009    1112773    BK    12423    2010    $8,968.87    
2010    1113730    BK    0    0    $17,386.53    
2011    1113830    BK    0    0    $14,141.77    

BK = BANKRUPTCY

Prior Years Total     $52,665.60

It appears that once it actually hit bankruptcy, the city can't sell the tax certificates and so the owner of the 2009 one can't call for a tax sale?  Does someone know how this works?  It seems to me that the owner is not in very good shape and that the building is most likely tied up in a legal mess. 

While it has been years since I have been in this building, it wasn't that bad then.  Like often happens, the roofs suffer when no one is taking care of the building and as it appears the owner is broke, this is another one we need to worry about.  It was, I believe, designed by a fairly well known architect as a car dealership and is an important part of Main Street in Historic Springfield.
"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement." Patrica, Joe VS the Volcano.

Demosthenes

« Reply #271 on: August 31, 2013, 12:31:06 PM »
Is there any proof that anyone is using code to shut down businesses? It seems a pretty circumstantial claim without proof, and the woman being vilified who used to be with SPAR left the neighborhood 4 years ago. Any proof from this decade?

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #272 on: August 31, 2013, 01:09:16 PM »
Can we get this (the chair on sidewalk thing) verified?
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Demosthenes

« Reply #273 on: August 31, 2013, 03:22:01 PM »
Absolutely it would apply. Is there proof?

Also, four years ago is 2009 aka last decade. Yes, its semantics, but four years is a long time.

As far as the forums, I check in from time to time. I see a lot of hearsay hand wringing and finger pointing. I have also seen when you have actual proof. You jump all over it. So, lets see the proof.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #274 on: August 31, 2013, 04:26:25 PM »
Check out the SPAR facebook post on June 11th promoting the new tattoo shop.

I personally visited the shop and welcomed them, as well.

Bill Hoff

« Reply #275 on: August 31, 2013, 08:50:20 PM »
Usually creativity is an attribute I admire.

But steering back to the subject, $219, 000 for 'The Pearl' building is decent, no?

I am not familiar with the finer points of accounting or tax law, so I couldn't speak to the status on the Earl Horne building.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:02:47 PM by Bill Hoff »

iloveionia

« Reply #276 on: August 31, 2013, 09:23:37 PM »
Didn't Trautmann buy the Pearl this summer?

fsquid

« Reply #277 on: August 31, 2013, 10:52:23 PM »
Is there any proof that anyone is using code to shut down businesses? It seems a pretty circumstantial claim without proof, and the woman being vilified who used to be with SPAR left the neighborhood 4 years ago. Any proof from this decade?

Demosthenes.  You must not have been reading the forums for long.  Just for reference however, 4 years ago is within a decade.

Latest victim of harassment:  The tattoo shop on Main street that closed its doors after being open for a month.

There were numerous calls, and various agencies all coming to the african american owned shop.  Apparently one of the tattoo artists was told that he couldnt sit on a chair on the outside of the building.

Is two months ago recent enough?

that's insane to me

Demosthenes

« Reply #278 on: August 31, 2013, 11:02:04 PM »
Surely there is a paper trail for these events.

iloveionia

« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2013, 01:05:56 PM »
"Developing Springfield Tour"

Urban Land Institute (ULI) of North Florida, along with SAMBA, Springfield Area Merchants and Business Association, is hosting a special bus tour of Springfield for ULI Members and invited guests. Please join us on September 26 as we explore the commercial corridor of Springfield.

Registration will begin at 4:30 pm and the bus tour will begin at 4:45 pm. The tour will end by 6:00 pm at 3rd Street and Main Street. Highlights will include new development in the area, Uptown Market, Three Layers, Baker Klein Engineering, Community Gardens, and a special gift from Sweet Pete’s.

The registration fee is $35.

http://myspringfield.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17200#p17200

Bill Hoff

« Reply #280 on: September 10, 2013, 04:01:41 PM »
Lakelander,

Info on the other property mentioned (1501 N. Main):
Asking $145,000. Complete civil and landscape plans, structural and environmental studies, and the architectural and building plans are 80% complete.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #281 on: September 10, 2013, 04:20:37 PM »
Thank you sir!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JayBird

• Back in home state - After living in Jax 10 years
« Reply #282 on: September 23, 2013, 06:38:42 PM »
So I found this pic courtesy of WJXT4 Facebook page, showings home in the Walden Chase subdivision in Ponte Vedra. The owner has apparently refused to cut the grass for three years now. In Ponte Vedra, the most expensive zip code in northeast Florida. Kind of makes one wonder how much these neighborhood associations, RAP, SPAR an others really help th value of investing in the neighborhood.

Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

Springfielder

• Preservation SOS
« Reply #283 on: September 28, 2013, 02:36:42 PM »
LOL...and I'm sure code enforcements been out there, and there's rolling fines on the property  ::)

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #284 on: September 28, 2013, 04:02:32 PM »
The owner and the homeowners association are locked in a legal battle, but the homeowner apparently has better standing under the law.  Turns out they also have a property in California that looks the same way and has provoked a similar battle.
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!