Author Topic: New Proposal for Arts hub in Downtown/Springfield  (Read 32451 times)

John P

Re: New Proposal for Arts hub in Downtown/Springfield
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 05:12:05 PM »
I always thought the old Claude Nolan building at First and Main Street would be a great arts and education center. It would be nice if the two could play off one another somehow because they're so close, but just this idea by itself looks like a ideal use for the building.

CityLife

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 05:15:54 PM »
^ I think a lot of people have looked at that site for artists lofts, music/entertainment venues and similar types of things. I think spillover would be more likely to occur there, along the park, and in the surrounding area, than the warehouse district in the short term at least.

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 01:26:42 PM »
I agree with Icarus that the City should have kept the building up over the years they were in it.  Isn't that what they expect of everyone else?  As for spillover not being practical, whatever.  It can't hurt to have an arts hub there, for sure. Still a great use of the building, and so much better than a war museum.

James Eddy

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »
I see Jacksonville as the art center of the south.
James Eddy for Dist 7 City Council 2015

Bill Hoff

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 06:19:06 PM »
Looks like there will be competition for use of the historic Armory building.

http://bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2013/11/21/arts-groups-sons-of-confederate-vets.html?r=full

The Sons of the Confederacy seeks to use it as a Southern military museum, via bill sponsored by Kimberly Daniels.

Others in city council prefer the arts coalition proposal.

A public meeting between Kimberly Daniels and Council President Bill Gulliford to discuss the conflicting plans has been scheduled for Tuesday, Nov 26th @ 2:30pm (4th floor, Conference Room B), and those interested in seeing the arts hub come to fruition are encouraged to attend in a show of support.

If you cannot attend, please take a moment to send an email to our City Council:

Clay@coj.net
WBishop@coj.net
RClark@coj.net
Redman@coj.net
LBoyer@coj.net
MattS@coj.net
Gaffney@coj.net
EDLee@coj.net
WAJones@coj.net
RBrown@coj.net
Holt@coj.net
Doylec@coj.net
Gulliford@coj.net
JimLove@coj.net
KimDaniels@coj.net
JRC@coj.net
Joost@coj.net
GAnderson@coj.net
RLumb@coj.net

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:25:37 PM by Bill Hoff »

JayBird

• Back in home state - After living in Jax 10 years
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 06:40:28 PM »
I see an arts center as a great thing, however that being said I would question what they'll bring to the table. This Sons of Confederacy appears to be willing to pay for the expenses associated with rehabbing the property. Because it sounds like it will be very expensive, can this Artist Coalition provide the same? Sons of Confederacy has a paper trail of their intentions leading back 3 years from what I could quickly find on Google, whereas the Artist Coalition seems to have materialized this idea within the last 2-3 months. Perhaps, it would be better to allow this Sons group to take responsibility and implement their plan while the Coalition focuses on areas such as Springfield Warehouse District, Claude Nolan/Orange Avenue site or the DIA Art District attempt. The community will benefit immensely from an integrated arts district, but in my opinion in this case I think the Sons will bring more value to this property in the long run.  Just my opinion, what do others think? Do we have anyone in the artist community that has viewed some of these sites?
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 07:26:35 PM »
Perhaps the city should issue an RFP for the building since there appears to be multiple parties interested in it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 07:34:17 PM »
I see an arts center as a great thing, however that being said I would question what they'll bring to the table. This Sons of Confederacy appears to be willing to pay for the expenses associated with rehabbing the property. Because it sounds like it will be very expensive, can this Artist Coalition provide the same? Sons of Confederacy has a paper trail of their intentions leading back 3 years from what I could quickly find on Google, whereas the Artist Coalition seems to have materialized this idea within the last 2-3 months. Perhaps, it would be better to allow this Sons group to take responsibility and implement their plan while the Coalition focuses on areas such as Springfield Warehouse District, Claude Nolan/Orange Avenue site or the DIA Art District attempt. The community will benefit immensely from an integrated arts district, but in my opinion in this case I think the Sons will bring more value to this property in the long run.  Just my opinion, what do others think? Do we have anyone in the artist community that has viewed some of these sites?

To be honest, I think this arts concept works better in a place that allows for more spill over effect.  Some place like the CoRK area or the Union Terminal warehouse complex, where similar uses are already operating and other underutilized spaces are in close proximity.  However, you also need the right type of space for what's proposed and that type of space may not be available in those areas.  Overall, while I think the arts concept is a better use, I share the same concerns as you.  It may be best to issue an RFP for the property instead of outright moving forward with either group's concept.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kiva

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 07:58:32 PM »
^ I think a lot of people have looked at that site for artists lofts, music/entertainment venues and similar types of things. I think spillover would be more likely to occur there, along the park, and in the surrounding area, than the warehouse district in the short term at least.
The Armory is next to the park, within sight of The Claude Nolan building, not in the warehouse district.

GoldenEst82

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 12:00:12 PM »
I think the last thing we need is a confederate war museum. Anywhere, really.
Can we please stop paying homage to past intolerance? Jebus Cryyyst.
If they really want a confederate war museum, why not use/fix the EH Thompson building, next to confederate park?

I DO think that having something like this in the SPR warehouse district would make more sense in terms of the effect. An Art hub could have impact in that district as a whole (ala CoRK), if its not going to be adjacent to the current art district. It makes more sense to have empty, available space around it for a community to build up and rally around. The armory building would not allow for that. 

It is better to travel well, than to arrive. - The Buddah
Follow me on Instagram!

JayBird

• Back in home state - After living in Jax 10 years
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »
To be honest, I think this arts concept works better in a place that allows for more spill over effect.  Some place like the CoRK area or the Union Terminal warehouse complex, where similar uses are already operating and other underutilized spaces are in close proximity.  However, you also need the right type of space for what's proposed and that type of space may not be available in those areas.  Overall, while I think the arts concept is a better use, I share the same concerns as you.  It may be best to issue an RFP for the property instead of outright moving forward with either group's concept.

Agreed, good points. An artist environment certainly would be more community interactive.

I think the last thing we need is a confederate war museum. Anywhere, really.
Can we please stop paying homage to past intolerance? Jebus Cryyyst.
If they really want a confederate war museum, why not use/fix the EH Thompson building, next to confederate park?

I DO think that having something like this in the SPR warehouse district would make more sense in terms of the effect. An Art hub could have impact in that district as a whole (ala CoRK), if its not going to be adjacent to the current art district. It makes more sense to have empty, available space around it for a community to build up and rally around. The armory building would not allow for that.

Technically I don't think it can be considered a museum, they want it for their meetings, events and historical exhibits (close to a museum). However, your post brings up a very interesting point. Perhaps we NEED a confederate museum that teaches the truth (whatever that is). As a student from north of the Mason-Dixon Line, I was always taught the Civil War (which is what this groups membership are descendants of, similar to a VFW Hall) was about the northern states trying to take a larger piece of the pie from the rich, agricultural states of the South. That actual slavery-confederates connections didn't become linked in history for hate until the mid-1900's.
Perhaps an institution that educated would be beneficial to the community (and a certain Sgarey forum poster).
Proud supporter of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"Whenever I’ve been at a decision point, and there was an easy way and a hard way, the hard way always turned out to be the right way." ~Shahid Khan

http://www.facebook.com/jerzbird http://www.twitter.com/JasonBird80

kbhanson3

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 02:50:51 PM »
Perhaps the city should issue an RFP for the building since there appears to be multiple parties interested in it.
I'd like to see the City take a more targeted/strategic approach to the use or disposition of some of its surplus assets rather than the business as usual approach of issuing RFP's that award the assets to the highest bidder (not that you were suggesting that would be the determining factor, but it is the typical approach).  Strategically designating assets for uses that will spark activity and thereby raise the value of surrounding assets can create momentum for continued revitalization as well as increase property tax revenue.  Takes some vision and leadership by the mayor to sell it to the public though....

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 02:54:59 PM »
Not that I don't disagree but that would require taking a big step back and looking at the entire city and urban core holistically. Unfortunately, I don't see it happening anytime soon.

kbhanson3

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 03:28:13 PM »
The city has been considering for over a year an RFP for the purpose of cataloguing all city owned assets (my understanding it that no comprehensive list of COJ real property assets exists) and then determining the highest and best use for the surplus assets.  Not sure if that process would produce those kinds of strategic recommendations.  More likely would be focused on generating maximum revenue.

thelakelander

• The Jaxson
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »
True. An RFP can be written to seek proposals that strategically spark activity and thereby raise the value of surrounding assets, creating momentum for additional revitalization.  The devil is in the details of writing a good RFP. Getting those details right would involve first taking a step back and looking at your overall city/neighborhood visions holistically.